You are not logged in.

#1 18-11-11 22:03:10

kesa12
Verified Member

C1 Licence category

I'm confused, and I hope someone can clarify for me, on my licence I have the category C1, what am I entitled to drive? (I have a vague idea)  And if I wanted to apply for a job that advertised for a C1 driver would I need a LGV licence or would my B car licence surfice with the C1 category on it?

Thanks

18-11-11 22:03:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: C1 Licence category

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-11-11 10:32:27

trunkmonkey

I'm confused, and I hope someone can clarify for me, on my licence I have the category C1, what am I entitled to drive? (I have a vague idea)  And if I wanted to apply for a job that advertised for a C1 driver would I need a LGV licence or would my B car licence surfice with the C1 category on it?

Thanks

If you passed your driving test before 1997 your licence will show additional categories of C1 and D1. These relate to goods vehicles up to 7500kgs and passenger carrying vehicles up to 16 passenger seats.
there are additional codes on the rear of the licence
C1  code 107 relates to a total weight of 8250kgs, which is 7500 + 750 trailer
D1 code is 101 relates to "not for hire or reward"

C1 and D1 in this regard are known as acquired or grandfather rights. they ended on 31.12.96.

From 1.1.97 a test has to be passed to obtain C1 and D1. You have to have held a licence in the category for 3 years before you can instruct a learner.

In answer to your question, Yes, you can drive a vehicle up to 7500kgs without taking a further test. If you do this professionally you also have to complete Driver CPC Periodic Training which for LGV is 35hrs training before 9th September 2014.

#3 19-11-11 12:38:05

(ROG)
Verified Member

As already stated - you have LGV C1 which entitles you to drive LGVs up to 7.5 tonnes plated MAM/GVW

You also have LGV C1+E with a 107 restriction code which entitles you to drive any C1 btween 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes with a trailer BUT the plated MAM/GVW of the vehicle and the trailer must not add up to more than 8.25 tonnes

Examples of what C1+E you can drive with 107 restriction -
7.5 tonnes + 750 kgs trailer = 8.25 tonnes
5.0 tonnes + 3.25 tonnes trailer = 8.25 tonnes

There are many pre 1997 LGV C1 licence holders that are totally unaware of the driver cpc that they will need after 09/09/2014 in order to drive those C1s COMMERCIALLY (not privately)

From April 2010 supervisors of any LGV or PCV vehicles MUST have passed the DSA test for that category and held that category for at least 3 years

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 19-11-11 18:50:09

kesa12
Verified Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me although I will need to digest it a little longer as this side of things is new to me!    Any recommendations for trainers in the Derbyshire area at all?

Thanks

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 23-11-11 16:01:35

bandb666
Verified Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me although I will need to digest it a little longer as this side of things is new to me!    Any recommendations for trainers in the Derbyshire area at all?

Thanks

I'm LGV/PCV/Car Instructor in Nottingham & may be able to help/advise depending what training you require ?

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

Board footer