You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 25-10-11 17:08:38

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Re: Left sweeping reverse procedure help please

I am interested if anyone teaches reference points to every pupil?
What has happenned when they are in another vehicle, have they been able to transfer learning?

It quite often happens that a driver establishes reference points with out at first realising it, I have spent sometime reflecting upon the use of reference points and I quite often subconsciously use reference points when reverse parking.
I also know that clients can manouvre really well without consciously using reference points if they have developed the sub skills before hand. If a client has mastered these necessary skills then it is quite often possible for them to do a manouvre correctly with out any need for instruction or q&a.
It is horses for courses and a one size fits all approach MAY not benefit all. This categorical does not mean I dont think reference points are a good idea.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

25-10-11 17:08:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 25-10-11 18:48:05

Terrier
Banned

What I'd like to know is, if some  coaches are so against ref points, how were they taught to reverse when they had lessons and how did they manage without ref points after passing their test.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#28 25-10-11 20:39:22

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Terrier I was never taught reference points and was not aware of them until after I became an ADI. I passed my test 35 years ago and became an ADI some 16 years ago, I can reverse and turn the car round perfectly well. I have just asked my wife while she was busy moving the furniture around and she hasnt got the foggiest idea what I am talking about when I asked her what reference points she uses when reversing into our drive. But to be fair that is fairly normal. I suggest you could ask some friends and relatives and see how they where taught.
I dont know if some coaches are against ref points but I do know that they are not always needed to teach someone to reverse if the necessary skills have been developed first. I managed for the first 17years of my driving with out knowing ref points, I presume there are others like myself who were not taught ref points.

www.1st-4.org
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#29 25-10-11 21:29:28

MAZ
Verified Member

Have to agree with Danny Steel:

I think you will find that all drivers who have to reverse into a narrow drive every day and get it exactly right every time will be starting the turn at exactly the same place every time, this can not be done consistently by “just guessing”, there will obviously be some “tangible point” at which a driver starts the turn, whether they know it or not.

Pupils differ, mine mostly come to me with low esteem and lack of confidence, many haven been given up on by other schools.

Many already come with phobias about manoeuvres. To push these types of pupils into some “self exploratory” style of reversing around a corner would send them back years.

This type of teaching may suit a very confident student who can easily shrug off the many c*ck ups in this “trial & error” style of manoeuvring.

Initially using reference points can quickly build confidence where it was not before, they can then go on to do more difficult and unusual shaped corners adding there own judgement as they gain experience.

This so called coaching/self discovery malarkey needs to be used at the right time with the right student, but not always and with everyone.

Maz.

#30 26-10-11 06:07:20

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

This was written by myself previously in this thread and goes some way to agreeing with Maz

It quite often happens that a driver establishes reference points with out at first realising it, I have spent sometime reflecting upon the use of reference points and I quite often subconsciously use reference points when reverse parking.

I can not respond to this thread for sometime now so will catch up with it in the future.

www.1st-4.org

#31 26-10-11 16:29:06

Terrier
Banned

Graham

I learned to drive 39 years ago and I was given ref points for reversing and for parking close to the kerb, after I passed my test I drove my dad's small van so ref points never came into it and when I bought my first car I never gave it a thought because my own judgement had developed.

In 26 years of doing this job I have always used ref points to get the skill up and running and most pupils find they do not rely on the ref points after some regular practice. The thing is, how many drivers worry about accuracy when reversing once they have passed their test, very few I suspect and if the technique of using ref points is explained properly to a learner they can easily adapt to other cars.

#32 26-10-11 16:35:04

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

If it makes the job of teaching the manoeuvres faster, then use reference points. Your time can be better utilised getting the pupils out there in the traffic and so getting as much experience as possible.

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#33 26-10-11 19:23:24

Terrier
Banned

What's that got to do with it? my point was aimed at using reference points when teaching learners, but just in case, it's known as spacial awareness. Everyone has it,  some people have more than others and it is a scientifically proven fact that males generally have more of it than females, but what do I know, I'm just learning from all these great forums on driver training.

Board footer