You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-10-11 10:35:20

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

N.I.

Hi ,

A quick question.... do you /can you offset N.I. payments against tax ?

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

04-10-11 10:35:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: N.I.

#2 04-10-11 14:54:27

driver69

I had asked my accountant that when I started and was told no.

#3 04-10-11 16:00:14

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

It's a personal tax related to personal income, not a business expense.

#4 04-10-11 16:33:02

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the clarification , l had heard of other instructors claiming it against tax but felt that was incorrect , what about mortgage interest and water bills ?

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#5 05-10-11 20:01:00

Rockin
Verified Member

Mortgage interest is ok and a portion of the water rates is ok. I claim 20% of that as I have a dedicated office at home.

#6 05-10-11 22:59:05

looprevil
Verified Member

If you claim any percentage of your home expenses as a business expense against tax have you considered:

Capital gains tax on the sale of your home? http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/property/sell-own-home.htm#3
Informing the local authority you're conducting a business from your home? http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim46840.htm
Informing your mortgage provider and home insurer?

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#7 05-10-11 23:06:47

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

You can claim an allowance of £3 per week for gas/electric without any capital gains problems.  Haven't a clue about water rates but agree with Paddy for CGT if claiming any part of mortgage.

Board footer