You are not logged in.

#1 02-03-05 13:49:47

Dan
Verified Member

HELP! - FIRST CHECK TEST LOOMING

Dear all,

My very first check test is due in just over a month.  :?  I understand it's educational - but (hopefully) - if I pass does this mean I have to take it again in a few months ??

I've had different advice.  Some have said go for a manoeuvre like Reverse Left ... others say Examiners are bored of manoeuvres - so go for something like roundabouts ?

Thinking back to my Part 3 training - I was told to teach things in a specific order.  So Rev Left would be taught after Turn in Road.  Does this mean if I went for Rev L on the check test - I  should first recap on the previous lesson and do a Turn in the Road before actually giving the lesson on Rev Left?

And should my recap on the previous lesson be a Q & A session while not moving or should the recap be actually driven through by the pupil ?

Finally - are there any books / videos you would recommend that can help with the check test ?

roll

Many thanks,

Dan

02-03-05 13:49:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HELP! - FIRST CHECK TEST LOOMING

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 02-03-05 15:08:08

Mr.Incredible

Hi Dan
I've recently passed my ADI Part 3 and so have the Check Test to which to look forward... just now however I'm lulling in the glory of passing the damned thing!
The publications in which I placed great stead are "the DRIVING INSTRUCTOR'S handbook" and "practical teaching skills for DRIVING INSTRUCTORS"; both available from the publishers at www.kogan-page.co.uk. Their treatise of the 'dreaded' check test is very realistic with a good perspective. If you have yet to acquire literature you could do much worse.

"If you don't know where you're going, no road will lead you there" - Rudyard Kipling

#3 24-05-05 16:46:35

VandADI
Administrator

Well, finally after two years of being qualified, my first check test is due on the 15th June. Bring it on  wink
VandADI

#4 24-05-05 20:07:34

luchell

id agree that even whilst ive been training those books the d.i handbook and practical teaching skills have been invaluable and are aimed at check test takers as well as pdis and adis. great books me thinks lol

#5 24-05-05 20:12:20

VandADI
Administrator

Just wondered on a check test, do I take pupil in with me to the t/c or leave them in the car?

#6 24-05-05 20:13:52

luchell

i heard the bsm lot chatting away and they say always leave em in the car or they start getting really nervous cos they know whats going on. better to keep in the dark and just say theyre here to watch the lesson and learn or something. what do you reckon?

#7 24-05-05 20:24:49

VandADI
Administrator

I was thinking of bringing the pupil into the t/c, sod leaving them in the car wondering what the hell was going on.  wink   I would have thought it would be kinder on the pupil to bring them in, let them look around, especially if they have never been in one before.

#8 24-05-05 20:45:08

vickyrhodes

I've got my first check test next month & I've been advised to take the pupil into the T.C. with me. Apparently the SE will even speak to them.

#9 24-05-05 21:09:13

Badger

I always have the pupil waiting comfortably in the car whilst I meet the SE in the TC or wherever I have arranged to meet him.

This is important because part of meeting the SE is to give him a short brief on the pupil.  Number of lessons standard achieved and any difficulties.  You would find it difficult to do that if the pupil is next to you.

The SE may also want to give you some words of encouragement or advice.  It is probably better if the pupil  is not around for this.

Dont put on an act or rehearse the lesson with your pupil becasue its not fair on them and it doesnt come over as being natural.

Choose the pupil you are going to use on the day and looking at their course program pick the appropriate subject that naturally occurs then and teach it as you would normally.

Once you have got over the preliminaries introduced the SE to your pupil and got everyone into the car start the lesson as you would normally.  Recap, announce the new subject, set the objectives, any questions and then drive off. Make sure that you have flexibility if the pupil suddenly develops an obstacle to progress and allow time for about 15 minutes at the end for the SE to debrief you and give you your result.

badger

#10 25-05-05 08:08:07

KevP

Not sure about this, but should an unqualified person be left in charge of a motor vehicle??
What if some one ran into the parked vehicle while they were in there without you? could they be held responsible as they would be deemed to be in charge of the vehicle etc.? After all I guess they would be sat in the drivers position having driven you to the TC.
Kev

#11 25-05-05 08:25:56

ck
Website

Personally I would take the pup into the TC and introduce the SE would seem rude not to after introduction ask pup to go and make them selves comfortable in the car while I have a chat to the SE don't want the pup sitting in the car sweating for too long I am sure the SE will make some attempt put the pup at ease.
Of course all this would have been explained to the pup before hand.

Good look

ck

#12 25-05-05 13:38:37

jimbo

That is exacty right Badger - and for the exact reasons you have given.  The SEADI may well want to give you some advice which he will find difficult to do with the pupil there.
  Let common sense reign  .........  roll

#13 25-05-05 13:53:42

TDC
Verified Member

well its not difficult is it?  if pupil is with you then you or the seadi say to pupil get into car   while they are settling in the seadi speaks to you for the lowdown on pupil so far etc etc .  jesus hardly rocket science whether pupil with you or not ,  its still a lesson you are giving to the pupil remember and the seadi is just sitting in so the pupil comes first still. 

why does so much have to be made about such simple things?   roll

let common sense reign ?  gotta find some first  wink

Im so good its unbelievable

#14 25-05-05 17:31:57

VandADI
Administrator

Thanks for all your replies.
At least I have a clear idea now of what is preferable on my first check test.   roll
Will contact my SE tomorrow to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 25-05-05 18:27:55

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

TDC wrote:

why does so much have to be made about such simple things?   roll

Hear hear!

Had 1st check test last week after 18 months qualified.  Took pupil into TC & introduced her to SEADI.  Then I asked her if she'd mind waiting in the car for 2 mins while we got organised.  Told SEADI I was there to learn so hadn't rehearsed and DID A NORMAL LESSON.  We'd been bay parking the week before and had a few "..could have gone then...could have gone then..." moments at roundabouts on the way back, so we covered judgement at roundabouts on the check test.  As it happened, the pupils mirror work was pretty awful so we fixed that as well.  At the end the SEADI said he could see that pupil knew more at the end of the lesson than at the start - Grade 5 ching ching thank you very much!

The check test is NOT part 3.  Don't get stressed.  Be yourself.  wink

Cheers

CC

Board footer