You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-10-11 13:26:15

KernowDrive
Website

Phase 1 Approaching Junctions Left/Right

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, something is unclear to me. I am about to take my second Part 3 attempt in a couple of weeks and had this PST previously, but as a phase 2.
On leaving my local the test centre, the pupil (SE) will have to negotiate three T-Junctions before reaching a left or right turn. Im sure the examiner will make it clear whether to give a brief at the test centre or get him to drive to a suitable location first, but with regards to the drive there, would I be expected to give him full talkthrough with dealing with these junctions or let him deal with them and pick up on any faults. Just unsure as realistically the pupil would have not dealt with them if they hadn't done left and right turns. And T-Junctions are not part of the PST so would I be right in saying just assume he can do them and just give him any support should he need it?

01-10-11 13:26:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Phase 1 Approaching Junctions Left/Right

#2 01-10-11 16:20:53

VandADI
Administrator

As a phase 2 the "pupil" would have already had some experience on junctions,so it's up to you to use effective Q&A to establish what they did on their last lesson.
You say the "pupil" has to negotiate 3 t junctions before reaching a left/right turn, so this is why it's important that you do the briefing at the t/c because the t junction is an emerging situation. Draw up a list of questions you could use to establish what he did on last lesson, use of MSPSL routine etc., for emerge and approach then set the objectives once you have found the missing link. smile

Listen very carefully to the word picture, if you give full talk through to someone that is just about to take their test you will be in danger of over instructing - watch him very carefully, if you see that he is not doing something he should be, then use q and a rather than let him commit the fault or assume he can do them.

#3 01-10-11 17:08:34

Terrier
Banned

KernowDrive

If the subject at the trained stage was dealing with L&R major-minor the examiner would not simulate serious faults on T.Junctions/Emerging. As far as the part 3 exam is concerned the examiner would be going off pst so it would just not happen.

If the L&R major-minor is at the part trained stage you need to establish what the pupil has covered so far in their previous lessons, if they say they have covered emerging they will be capable of dealing with it and you should make a point of linking MSPSL to the major-minor turns later in the lesson.

I'm not being critical of you, but this kind of issue should have been sorted way back in your training by whoever you are training with, I would request more training and tell the trainer of your concerns about certain aspects of the part 3 and how it will be conducted.

If you need any further help, there are plenty on this forum who are qualified to give it.
Good luck.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#4 01-10-11 18:41:09

martin Williams
Verified Member

Errrr as KernowDrive  said it is the Phase 1 he is worried about not phase 2.

Dont worry it's my understanding he/she will already have done T junctions and do them perfect. but make sure you Q and A him first just to confirm what he has covered.

#5 01-10-11 19:07:54

Terrier
Banned

Errrrrrrrrr, I know, I chose to give advice on both phases because the op seemed to lack understanding. I've only got 26 years experience ORDIT approved and grade 6 for 12 years. So there is no need for criticism, I do happen to know what I'm talking about!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 01-10-11 20:00:17

martin Williams
Verified Member

KernowDrive

If the subject at the trained stage was dealing with L&R major-minor the examiner would not simulate serious faults on T.Junctions/Emerging. As far as the part 3 exam is concerned the examiner would be going off pst so it would just not happen.

If the L&R major-minor is at the part trained stage you need to establish what the pupil has covered so far in their previous lessons, if they say they have covered emerging they will be capable of dealing with it and you should make a point of linking MSPSL to the major-minor turns later in the lesson.

I'm not being critical of you, but this kind of issue should have been sorted way back in your training by whoever you are training with, I would request more training and tell the trainer of your concerns about certain aspects of the part 3 and how it will be conducted.

If you need any further help, there are plenty on this forum who are qualified to give it.
Good luck.

I must be reading your post wrong Terrior. The way I read it you gave advice on Left and Right turns trained stage and then Left and right turns part trained. KernowDrive wanted advice was for Phase 1 which from my understanding is that they have never done the subject before (Left and right turns). As i'm sure you know phase 2 covers fully trained or part trained so you never covered phase 1 (Please correct me if i'm wrong). Well done on your Ordit approval Grade 6 and 26 years of experience.

#7 01-10-11 20:00:18

on board training

AND - LOL

#8 01-10-11 21:11:44

Terrier
Banned

YOU ARE SUCH A LOT OF OLD WOMEN ON THIS FORUM. YOU NEED TO GROW UP YOU SILLY GIRLS  roll

#9 02-10-11 17:57:39

KernowDrive
Website

Thanks for the info everyone, all opinions are greatly appreciated. To clarify I was asking for advice regarding Phase 1. I had already gained a Grade 4
on Left/Right Turns into a Minor on my first attempt Part 3 attempt. Of course being a Phase 2 the SE was already out on the road and conveniently parked just prior to a right turn. Also in training, we would also start from the side of the road, so I never thought of asking the question to my trainer as the issue never came up. It was probably quite a trivial question to ask and of course I would have asked the pupil about his previous experience, but was just trying to get an insight into how the SE would play the situation in the exam for a bit of a heads up. Many thanks for the advice!  big_smile

Board footer