You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-09-11 19:46:11

johnp
Verified Member

Our memories of 9/11

Our Personal Experience of 9/11

Ten years ago a late summer break saw us flying into Boston to see the autumn leaves of New England, but little did we expect that in a few hours we would be absorbed into the most dramatic and terrifying time in recent American History.   

9/11 dawned the most beautiful of clear mornings and as we drove from Boston the news came over our Country and Western program that a small plane had crashed into the Trade Centre. We stopped to buy breakfast and joined the world in witnessing on a tiny TV the events that shocked the world.

On leaving the shop we entered the stunned anguish of a changed nation whose immediate response was to retreat and baton down. Conversation stopped, a hush descended, all planes were cleared from the sky and foreigners were viewed with distrust.  Mournful, religious music replaced the Country & Western and I was even questioned when taking a photo because the person was concerned I might be a spy!! 

Unbelievably deep emotions wracked the nation and the following day the car flags came out and enormous flags hung from the turntable ladders of every fire house. Cars were draped with personal comments and the churches began to proclaim their particular take on the situation.

“Vengeance is mine I will repay saith the Lord.”
“Forgive them father for they know not what they do.”
“An Eye for an eye.”

We spent two weeks visiting churches, universities, schools and shrines in every town and village and reading the tributes and looking at the photos of those lost. There were no adverts on television and coverage concentrated on the tragedy of the lives lost and gradually people began to talk and ask us “Why us?” “We are a peace loving country!” Discussions became deeper and we trust we were able to help some to begin to understand a little of why this tragedy may have happened.

Our lives were changed by the experience of our tragic ‘holiday’, but nothing like that of the thousands personally affected. We brought home a Stars and Stripes flag which we have in our hall. We will always remember them all on 9/11!   

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

08-09-11 19:46:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Our memories of 9/11

#2 08-09-11 20:24:51

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

:(Hi John , on facebook i have the pupil i was teaching at the time the news broke in the uk. We started off the lesson pretty much as normal, i remember she said as we started off that a plane had crashed in New York.
    Having been to New York myself, and seen the amount of air traffic arriving and landing at the city s three main arports from the top of the Empire State Building when i was there, i thought it must of been an accident waiting to happen to be honest.
    We returned two hours later, to hear the full outcome.
    I had a couple more lessons to do that day, but rang the pupils to cancel.
   Will always remember who i was with that time, that day.  And she remembers her lesson that day, not for what we did, but what happened.
   All the best, Phil..

#3 08-09-11 20:55:21

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

:(Have myself thought about it almost every day since.  But i think its because i had been there before, and the towers were so dominant.   Every where you turned in Manhattan, they were there on the skyline.
     I had lunch in Battery Park, and walked up and down Wall Street and Broad Street, from the top of the Empire State, they were still awesome!
     Possibly felt it more than many, having seen the beauty of those towers.
     My best wishes to all those involved on 9/11.
     Phil...

#4 08-09-11 21:15:34

Barry500
Website

Bringing my little girl home from hospital in London, when the first plane went into the first tower I said to the wife no accident and then the next one went in to the tower it confirmed it, never thought that the towers would fall to the ground.

#5 08-09-11 23:35:15

Dave P
Verified Member

I was working in London's Docklands near Canary Wharf, scary time, everyone had it in mind that if London was on the agenda, Canary Wharf would be a target.

Was the day I stopped getting tube to work, and took up motorcycling soon after (every cloud .............)

Sad memories, hope we never see anything like it again

Dave

Don't wait for your boat to come in, swim out to meet it

#6 09-09-11 00:38:35

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I was working at a remote isolated mining community on Australia's north coast, sharing a house with several male trainers (I never want to share a house with men again but that's another story).

I came into the lounge room that day behind the TV set and noticed them sitting in silence staring at the TV with strange looks on their faces.
One of them stabbed his fingers at the TV screen so I came around behind them to see for myself - and was confronted with a replay of a plane slamming into the towers.

The rest of the day felt really "strange".
Working & living in such an area you feel isolated and protected from the outside world but this was an event that made us realise that no one is really safe any more (I wasn't looking forward to flying back to Darwin even though the chances of a terrorist attack on a remote regional flight was minimal).

Since WWII Australia has aligned itself closely with the US to the point of sending troops to fight in Vietnam, so Australia has always been a terrorist target.
I can remember acquaintances who were previously very critical of the US, suddenly changing their stance.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 09-09-11 21:37:51

c-way
Verified Member
Website

I was working as a receptionist in a PR Agency in Uttoxeter, the phones suddenly went quiet and someone asked if we could put the TV on in the boardroom, we all watched it in horror as the second plane hit, sadly the finance director's cousin was in one of the towers at the time and lost his life.  Drove home that night and the traffic was quiet, very surreal.   My thoughts are with everyone who lost loved ones that day and were affected by such a tragic event.

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#8 20-09-11 20:37:29

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

I was working on an American cruise ship at the time. The ship had been chartered by a group of American football fans from Seattle so most knew each other.

We were anchored off Grand Cayman and had a lunchtime rehearsal so, being the usual bum musicians, had got up after the towers had been hit. My room-mate was in the shower when I turned on the TV and he quickly poked his head out of the bathroom after hearing me swear very loudly! We watched the 2 towers collapse then had to go and rehearse. It was a very quick affair before returning to our cabin and being glued to the TV all day as, thinking we were a possible target, all crew shore leave was cancelled. That evenings show still went ahead but was very subdued.

The more surreal part of that week was still to happen. In Cozumel, one of the passenger excursions went to the ruins at Chichen Iza in the middle of the Yucatan Peninsula. A very exclusive tour involving a 1 hour flight there and back. This was meant to be my week to go as there were only 2 crew places per tour. Had been looking forward to it for about 10 weeks so was a bit gutted to not be allowed off to go because of the no shore leave. Unfortunately, the plane crashed on the way back to the ship killing everyone on board.

Everyone says things happen for a reason but after that week I gave up trying to work out why things happen...

Board footer