You are not logged in.

#1 16-09-11 11:28:25

EmmaLearner

Signals when overtaking/overtaking stationary vehicle

Bit confused on this and want to clarify as my test is in a couple of months, don't want it to be one of those silly things that I get wrong and fail for. My first ADI said I should always put a signal on when overtaking a stationary vehicle, but my current says I do not have to. Also when moving back into the left hand lane do I have to put a signal on because I'm changing lane again (someone may think I wanted to stay in that right hand lane) or not because I am just going back to where I was?

16-09-11 11:28:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Signals when overtaking/overtaking stationary vehicle

#2 16-09-11 11:32:10

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Emma,
If you are planning well ahead your positioning will usually be signal enough that you are passing parked vehicles, however, if you are overtaking larger vehicles e.g. buses, lorries etc., I would be inclined to signal as invariably this would put you on the wrong side of the road.  Be aware though of any junctions to the right if you do decide to signal, as it could be misleading.
It is not necessary to signal back to the left, unless you are changing lanes of course.

#3 16-09-11 11:37:55

EmmaLearner

So this isn't something I'd get failed for? There's a main road with two lanes and I always have to move out to the right because my ADI says to always keep to the left hand lane, and I always used to put a right signal on (no junctions nearby) but she said not to as it isn't necessary, then I just drop back into my normal lane. So am I right in thinking no signals would be necessary during this? It can be confusing sometimes and I'm not sure what they'd want on the test.

There was another time in my lesson yesterday where we approached a traffic light junction where you could go straight on or left, and she asked me to get back into the bus lane (was in right hand lane for a while because big long row of stationary vehicles), so it was a lane change, but I didn't put a signal on as I thought it would tell other road users that I intended to turn left at the traffic lights but I didn't. I asked my ADI whether I should have signalled or not, and she said it was debatable because it could have confused other road users with what I intended to do so I was partially right.

#4 16-09-11 11:55:35

VandADI
Administrator

If indeed, you are changing lanes, as you have put it a main road, two lanes and you have to move out to the right,  a quick signal to move out would be appropriate, then cancel it so it literally indicates 2/3 times so as not to confuse.  If you are now in the right hand lane then want to move back into the left, a left signal should be put on.

The quick signal method would also help you in the situation where you were at a traffic light junction and you wanted to change lanes to left but not actually turn left at lights.

Hope this helps.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 16-09-11 14:22:31

(ROG)
Verified Member

Bit confused on this and want to clarify as my test is in a couple of months, don't want it to be one of those silly things that I get wrong and fail for. My first ADI said I should always put a signal on when overtaking a stationary vehicle, but my current says I do not have to. Also when moving back into the left hand lane do I have to put a signal on because I'm changing lane again (someone may think I wanted to stay in that right hand lane) or not because I am just going back to where I was?

If you are in the oncoming lane when doing an overtake for parked vehicles then no signal is required to move back into your own lane

A singnal is not always necessary to overtake parked vehicles but as long as it does not confuse others into thinking that you might be doing something else then no problem
It's the way that you signal to overtake parked vehicles which matters - if on the move then 3 blinks of the indicator is sufficient and many modern cars have the 3 flash and self cancel option on the indicator stalk

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#6 16-09-11 14:51:14

Terrier
Banned

EMMA

You are NOT overtaking when it's a parked vehicle, you are passing an obstruction on the road. Overtaking is when you pass a moving vehicle which is a different thing. However, following on with advice given above, if you look and plan well ahead you will normally see parked vehicles early enough for you to check your mirrors and move out gradually without giving a signal. Continuing to signal every time you move out can be misleading to other road users.

Now that's not to say you never signal to move out, when deciding whether to signal ask yourself 2 things:

1.Will anyone benefit from a signal including pedestrians
            2. Will the signal mislead any other road user

If the signal will not benefit anyone there's no need to give it.  If the signal will mislead anyone don't give it.
If you think of this when you are driving, regardless of whether your are on your test or not you will drive safely. Good luck with your test.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 17-09-11 14:35:29

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

If you are now in the right hand lane then want to move back into the left, a left signal should be put on.

Not wanting to confuse things (!) but I don't indicate coming back into the far left lane as I am traveling faster than the vehicles in the lane I'm moving into, and wouldn't move back in without adequate clearance anyway. I can't see why it would be necessary (unless some odd scenario developed), however as long as it does no harm there's no real problem with indicating to move back to the far left lane.

Keeping it simple, as long as the signal doesn't cause chaos it shouldn't be an issue, but always ask yourself why you are indicating (who's it for?).  smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#8 19-09-11 00:45:00

clwydian1
Verified Member
Website

EMMA

when deciding whether to signal ask yourself 2 things:

1.Will anyone benefit from a signal including pedestrians
            2. Will the signal mislead any other road user

If the signal will not benefit anyone there's no need to give it.  If the signal will mislead anyone don't give it.
If you think of this when you are driving, regardless of whether your are on your test or not you will drive safely. Good luck with your test.

I agree with Terrier.

Don't forget the position of your car can be a signal (moving out to the white line before passing a parked vehicle).

Something to remember is if there are two lanes, you should change lanes rather than just move out and pass the parked vehicle.
On the same point, if there is a left turn just after the point you move back over to the left lane, you might want to leave out the signal in case someone thinks you are turning left

Danny

*** FREE CPD ***
Funded - Fleet Trainer Courses throughout the UK
www.drivetoperfection.co.uk

Board footer