You are not logged in.

#1 23-05-05 16:18:02

Crane
Verified Member
Website

Difference between Pt. 2 Training and Advanced Driving

Hi!

Could someone explain the difference between pt.2 Instructor Training and the Advanced Driving Test.   I have a book about adv.driving and it doesn't look to difficult. I get the feeling though,  that it is tougher than the part 2 test.

thanks

I'm sure you can do it,too!

23-05-05 16:18:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Difference between Pt. 2 Training and Advanced Driving

#2 23-05-05 16:36:12

luchell

i would say its easier than the part two test.

ive only done the iam test, 9 years back. advanced driving follows the roadcraft system. part two uses the dsa system the same as the diamond advanced test. the iam test was so much easier than the part two i recently took. id only been driving after my l test for three months before passing it. but thats just my opinion. also you are limited to making only 6 driver faults on your part two. the general drive is assessed on iam. others im sure will reply.
im only saying what i felt about what i went through here so please dont anyone take offence. i know with rospa its graded bronze silver and gold so that makes it tougher. also i think its a massive help to have once of the advanced qualifications for your part two training.

some of how i feel about the two tests could be down to the pressure i was under for part two. with the iam i could just try again there wasnt only three attempts. there was no pink licence at the end of the iam pass. so for me i think pressure is what made it seem more difficult.

#3 23-05-05 19:42:07

vickyrhodes

I did my IAM test before doing my pt 2 & then a couple of years ago did the Diamond Advanced Test. I wouldn't say the IAM test is easier as such, because people do fail it. The IAM examiners do expect associates to meet a certain standard before they "recommend" you to become a member of the IAM. They do assess the overall drive & are looking for a "safe, progressive drive".

Luchell's right in that pt 2 is made even more nerve racking because you have alot more to lose if you fail. On my IAM test the scariest bit was having a serving (young!) traffic cop sitting beside me & hoping I didn't do anything to break the law. big_smile

#4 23-05-05 19:48:34

luchell

i was thinking more of the drive for the iam itself. he wasnt interested in my reverse park, and he didnt care how far i was from the kerb. that was the only manouvre i got asked to do. i rolled back on a hill made mistakes i just could not have on part 2. i feel theres more scope for mistakes little ones if you see what i mean. part two i found more structured, the manouvres mainly like i say i know the iam covers all road types.  again just my personal experience. and yes the police chap is scary (although very pleasent!)

i also felt very little experience was needed to pass it as i only had three months from L test to iam pass.perhaps i was just lucky

#5 23-05-05 19:51:16

Mmm

hmm interesting cos I was thinking of doing one of the advanced test things, i guess it has a bit more cachet (is that how you spell it?) than "driving instructor part 2". Altho maybe pub talk isnt the best reason for doing it.

#6 23-05-05 20:13:08

Crane
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for those replies.

I might contact my nearest IAM group,  I think there's one in Guildford, to get more info.   Once my pt.3 is over I might have a go at the advanced test.  I think Mmm is right,  people seem to understand better what this test is about, compared with pt.2.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 23-05-05 22:00:19

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

I've done both and would rate the IAM test as 'easier' than part 2 because the objectives are very different.  The IAM test is about a safe, progressive drive as Vicky stated above.  Part 2 is about driving in a structured MS-PSL way - the way you are expected to teach novices.

That said, the IAM test helped me enormously as it sorted out the bad habits a few years before I trained to become an ADI!

I drive my tuition car to part 2 to set a good example, but I love straightlining roundabouts and not indicating in my wife's car when it's safe & appropriate!  Freedom..! wink

#8 24-05-05 06:29:36

ExAdiNigel

I think Captain Compass has summed up the difference fairly well, though don't forget the IAm/RoSPA tests are also structured/systematic in that you should be using IPSGA throughout your drive.  I do think, however, that IAM/RoSPA allows a little more freedom in the interpretation.

Personally, I will straighten roundabouts even in my tuition car, I don't only teach learners so why restrict my own driving to the way I would teach a learner.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 24-05-05 08:46:55

Lynne
Verified Member

adiNigel wrote:

Personally, I will straighten roundabouts even in my tuition car, I don't only teach learners so why restrict my own driving to the way I would teach a learner.

Nigel

Same here and even though I am in an AA car I do drive Roadcraft when on my own and, when situation allows, straightlining/no signals etc.,

Lynne

#10 24-05-05 09:21:25

Crane
Verified Member
Website

Hi, 

[ you should be using IPSGA]  [ I do drive Roadcraft ]

??? :oops:

Could you pleeeaase explain this a bit more.[/list]

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 24-05-05 12:30:37

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Lynne wrote:
adiNigel wrote:

Nigel

Same here and even though I am in an AA car I do drive Roadcraft when on my own and, when situation allows, straightlining/no signals etc.,

Lynne

Fair do's folks and each to their own - I just feel that with my company name on the car I don't want to give any potential customer who doesn't do Roadcraft and doesn't know any better, the opportunity to say "Did you see that?  Straightlined that roundabout/no signals and he's supposed to be teaching my little Johnny/Jeannie to drive..."

I need every new pupil I can get!!

Cheers

CC

#12 24-05-05 15:47:36

vickyrhodes

In response to Crane's question ISPGA stands for -
Information - which is on- going throughout the whole system
Position
Speed
Gear
Accelerate

It's really no different to the MSM routine it's just worded differently! Signalling is only done when another road user would benefit, but observers( & I'm sure it's the same elsewhere ) within my local group interpret that in different ways, which I hopefully plan to sort out in the near future!

Roadcraft is the police driving manual - a really good book to have.

#13 24-05-05 23:00:25

Lynne
Verified Member

captain_compass wrote:
Lynne wrote:
adiNigel wrote:

Nigel

Lynne

Fair do's folks and each to their own - I just feel that with my company name on the car I don't want to give any potential customer who doesn't do Roadcraft and doesn't know any better, the opportunity to say "Did you see that?  Straightlined that roundabout/no signals and he's supposed to be teaching my little Johnny/Jeannie to drive..."

I need every new pupil I can get!!

Cheers

CC

As I said "when the situation allows"  in my case this means if no one else is about.  I won't do it if anyone is about who could misinterpret what I'm doing.  I use discretion!!  lol

Lynne

#14 25-05-05 18:41:10

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

Lynne wrote:

I use discretion!!  lol

An Essex girl?  Discretion?? lol  lol  lol

Just kidding!

#15 25-05-05 21:25:56

Lynne
Verified Member

Haaa yep an Essex girl discretion ..WITH A GOLD pass cheeky-smiley-005.gif

#16 26-05-05 08:00:25

captain_compass
Verified Member
Website

A gold pass?  The nearest I have to that is a Gold Star Rider advanced motorcyclist award in 1979.  Does that count?  I didn't think so...  wink

#17 31-12-05 17:56:33

buz2

why straighten roundabouts? why no signal? :?

#18 31-12-05 19:17:05

Badger

"""Did you see that? Straightlined that roundabout/no signals and he's supposed to be teaching my little Johnny/Jeannie to drive..." ""

Wouldnt be a problem because if there was someone around you wouldnt have omitted the signal and if no-one is affected by straightlining they arent going to bother about it.

Most people straightline anyway due to laziness and one organisation I heard of actually calling it the racing line !

B

#19 31-12-05 20:35:53

Lynne
Verified Member

Has this been resurrected for New Years Eve? 

Precisely Badger!  No one will see me not signalling or straightlining as I won't do it if anyone is around.  I won't even straightine in the driving school car if anyone can see me.  As you say, wouldn't want little Johnny or Jeannie to get the wrong idea.    roll

#20 31-12-05 22:55:51

Gizmotime
Administrator

Lynne wrote:

Has this been resurrected for New Years Eve?

Nice one Lynne, I think it must have been lol

#21 31-12-05 23:10:05

la.monikita
Verified Member

yep, me too, anyone and i mean anyone apart form foxes cats and dogs,
so signal and runnnn,
but not any other time........... wink rospa test on 16th lol love the country lanes at 60  lol

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#22 01-01-06 22:46:55

Lynne
Verified Member

La Mon your RoSPA test!  Hey good luck smile

I love the country bends at 60 too   vrroom vrroom in 3rd gear even at times <sits back and waits for the backlash>

Well don't care...the examiner was happy smile

And so was I

lol  wink  smile

#23 04-01-06 07:25:19

ExAdiNigel

buz2 wrote:

why straighten roundabouts? why no signal? :?

Because the car is more stable in a straight line!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer