You are not logged in.

#1 10-09-11 16:01:13

Dave P
Verified Member

Check Test - Anticipation and Planning

Hi All

Have my check test coming up in October with a real pupil.

I have decided that at the time of the lesson, planning and anticipation will be the likely subject (with a link to meeting situations, but not exclusively meeting)

I have decided to go for this subject primarily because it fits in with the pupils learning, but also as it is a subject I am ok at when driving / riding, but feel I could improve my teaching of it.

So, any tips on planning for this kind of lesson would be much appreciated, maybe suggestions of things to cover, good Q & A, possible related faults etc, in case I have missed anything during my thoughts.

I am also taking training with my original trainer, first session today was really useful.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Don't wait for your boat to come in, swim out to meet it

10-09-11 16:01:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test - Anticipation and Planning

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-09-11 01:34:07

clwydian1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Dave,
The best thing is to just teach a lesson as normal..... Recap, Briefing, etc.
Don't be afraid to change the lesson and/or pull them over if the pupil is having issues with something unrelated to your planned lesson (I would tell the SE why you changed the lesson plan at the end though).

Don't prep the pupil for the lesson itself, if the pupil performs a perfect drive, there won't be any teaching for the SE to observe and it will be harder to get a decent grade.

Enjoy it, it's nothing like your Part 3.

Cheers

Danny

*** FREE CPD ***
Funded - Fleet Trainer Courses throughout the UK
www.drivetoperfection.co.uk

#3 11-09-11 09:47:48

G
Verified Member
Website

Totally agree with Danny, work on improving the lesson structure - recap, briefing etc but just teach the pupil the lesson you would normally on the day. As your check test is in October things might change between now & then.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#4 11-09-11 09:54:26

Dave P
Verified Member

Thanks Guys  smile

Funny enough I re-read my post and I thought it sounded like someone asking a part 3 question !

I do realise the check test needs to be just like a normal lesson, but because it is something I feel is a weak area in my instruction, I was looking for suggestions of the sort of things to include / look out for in that sort of lesson (not in a check test, in a normal lesson).

Guess it is my way of addressing a percieved weakness in my instruction, using the check test as a deadline for improving it !

Best wishes

Dave

#5 11-09-11 10:18:10

G
Verified Member
Website

Look at what you see as hazards that is the starting point for Q&A, try doing a commentary drive on your own & note what you are seeing then use that info for the basis of a lesson plan. I have always written generic lesson plans for all subjects & review them every so often adding in new things I have used that work & removing things that don't. Every lesson is different but it always helps me to have written down what the lesson is trying to achieve.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#6 11-09-11 10:26:49

Dave P
Verified Member

Thanks G, that's just the sort of useful stuff I am looking for  smile

Would you use a commentary as a demo in this kind of lesson, then get the pupil to have a go ? This is something I was thinking of doing to make these lessons more interactive. I am guilty of not using it enough in the past   roll

I tried it the other day in my day job car, flowed nicely, but soon got bored of it, so guess it needs to be done in short stints.

Dave

#7 11-09-11 10:37:20

(ROG)
Verified Member

Commentary by the learner - try getting them to do it from the passenger seat before driving and trying it

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#8 11-09-11 11:29:20

clwydian1
Verified Member
Website

Dave, the fact you recognise a weakness is a sign of a good instructor.
The good thing with anticipation and planning is you can put that in to practice on most lessons and just try changing bits on the go to see what works.
Unfortunately, there is no one fix fits all much as with other lessons but you'll start to recognise the cause quicker and know how to fix it.

Hope that helps

Danny

*** FREE CPD ***

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 11-09-11 11:42:05

Dave P
Verified Member

Commentary by the learner - try getting them to do it from the passenger seat before driving and trying it

Thanks Rog, do you mean with me driving the car ?

I can see a big benefit to this, would it also be acceptable on a check test with the limited time available?

Dave

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 11-09-11 11:43:45

Dave P
Verified Member

Dave, the fact you recognise a weakness is a sign of a good instructor.
The good thing with anticipation and planning is you can put that in to practice on most lessons and just try changing bits on the go to see what works.
Unfortunately, there is no one fix fits all much as with other lessons but you'll start to recognise the cause quicker and know how to fix it.

Hope that helps

Danny

Thanks Danny

Have sat and written a draft lesson plan this morning, as was quite pleased that I was able to do it without referring to books, internet etc,

Now to try it out on the wife (best make sure there are blankets in the shed first!!)

Dave

#11 11-09-11 13:48:09

(ROG)
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

I can see a big benefit to this, would it also be acceptable on a check test with the limited time available?

Dave

With you driving - yes

Acceptable on a check test - dunno

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#12 11-09-11 14:04:41

clwydian1
Verified Member
Website

Dave P wrote:
(ROG) wrote:

Dave

With you driving - yes

Acceptable on a check test - dunno

The only problem with doing a demonstration drive is you've only got an hour to show "learning has taking place", which is hard to show if you're in the driving seat.

How about talking them through risk assessments while they drive, getting them to scan ahead and identify anything they see (care pulling out, signs, pedestrian crossing the road, traffic slowing down ahead etc), once they can identify the risks, get them, to prioritise them and act as soon as they see them (mirrors.....).

I tend to introduce this when teaching Pedestrian Crossings as you want them to look that bit further ahead and scan the crossing.
If they see something sooner, they can decide what to do about it rather than leave it until the last second, panicking, and coming to an abrupt halt!

Danny

*** FREE CPD ***

#13 11-09-11 18:30:48

Barry500
Website

I also have a check test in October with a real pupil no one in mind at the moment, and no subject either!!!!

#14 11-09-11 21:15:27

Dave P
Verified Member

I also have a check test in October with a real pupil no one in mind at the moment, and no subject either!!!!

You are obviously not a worrier like me Barry !

Although being part time, I had a very limited choice of pupils, so needed to sort it early. I also knew my trainer would like me to have a couple of subjects in mind.

Best wishes

Dave

#15 11-09-11 22:00:53

Barry500
Website

Hi Dave I had a break from teaching and started in a new area (Long story) and only have 10 customers at the moment so I am hoping that someone will come along a couple of weeks before hand, I do have a friend in waiting who has offered and there is always my daught who can step in.

So I will not be winging it, ok maybe a bit!

Let us know how you get on with your check test, mine is at the end of October.

#16 11-09-11 22:35:06

colin166
Verified Member

You can always use a FLH for the check test as long as they are not an ADI.
A friend of mine was let down by a pupil the day before the check test so she took her twin sister who had passed her test a few years ago.
She gave a refresher lesson on pedestrian crossings, SE liked the lesson, loads of faults were fixed, learning took place and she came away with a grade 5.

#17 11-09-11 22:36:51

Dave P
Verified Member

You can always use a FLH for the check test as long as they are not an ADI.
A friend of mine was let down by a pupil the day before the check test so she took her twin sister who had passed her test a few years ago.
She gave a refresher lesson on pedestrian crossings, SE liked the lesson, loads of faults were fixed, learning took place and she came away with a grade 5.

Hi Colin

I have a couple of FLH possibilities lined up if my pupil lets me down, would probably contact some recent pupils and offer a refresher or motorway lesson

Best wishes

Dave

#18 14-09-11 22:43:28

Dave P
Verified Member

??????, Letter recieved from the DSA today saying it's cancelled !

Will carry on with my refresher training so I am ready next time the letter arrives

Dave

Board footer