You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-11 20:15:40

neil8181
Verified Member

Training PDI's

I want to add this service to my driving school. Just looking for some advice and tips to get the "ball rolling".

Part 1. This is straight forward. Direct them to the correct material or even supply them the material.

Part 2. Again, this seems straight forward.

Part 3. Hmmm, I know I can deliver lessons. I know there must be many trainers on here who havn't taken any further training to add this service (I will be doing, but not immediately).
Should I think back to when I was doing my training? Should I begin teaching towards PST's.

ANY advice would be very much welcome!

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

20-03-11 20:15:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Training PDI's

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-03-11 06:44:37

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Firstly you need to have a thorough knowledge of the 3 Part examination process.

It is also important to have an understanding the principles behind what you are going to teach.

Ideally you should be able to deliver a structure course that covers all the key skills.

It is a sad fact that many PDI's fall victim to extremely poor training. Simply going through the ADI process yourself does not necessarily give you relevant skills or knowledge to competently train others. 

This is an area in my opinion that the DSA should be addressing in order to improve training standards.

If you are serious about doing this I would recommend further training  with a 'reputable' source.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#3 11-05-11 12:20:50

casper

hi Niel, i had three different trainers before passing my test. First was very good but could only teach inside her to the letter thinking, the company she worked for went up spout. Second was an indi who was completely different and encouraged me to question everything to help with understanding, never said thats just the way it is, and covered full licence holder in full,(good job had it on all three tests) Third was an adi willing to help reccomended by second instructor,(because my funds took a hit when first company vanished, and was cheaper than her,she was a star) who again was excellent despite having no formal pdi training, but understood all of my needs as a pdi.
So my point is make sure you know exactly and in full what is required to be a good pdi trainer to all who may use you, as you know it is not easy for most, and the most vital thing is having a very good instructor, there are enough people duing it badly already.
Sorry if that sounds a bit pedantic, hope it goes well for you.

pt1 pass 1st time 98% 60 23/9/09
pt2 passed 2nd time 6faults 9/3/10
pt3 passed 3rd time 4/4 jan 2011

#4 12-05-11 13:05:42

adastra

Just a thought ... I'm just coming into the business, so I'm no expert, but the industry I am currently in suffers from a similar over-supply of people. Over the last five years a lot of established (some fairly recently) people have been struggling to get enough work, so they have turned to training others .... with the result that the over-supply problem just gets worse. From what I've heard and read ADI's are suffering from a similar situation. Training other trainers is a short-term solution, at the end of the day you are training your competition. A lot of people would be better diversifying into other areas, or starting another business they could run alongside.

Don't take this personally, I'm not saying this is you Neil - I don't know you so I'm not in a position to comment, and it would be rude to do so anyway - just a general observation on the business.

One other observation - my trainer is a grade 6, and I wouldn't consider anything less.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-09-11 16:37:56

neil8181
Verified Member

One other observation - my trainer is a grade 6, and I wouldn't consider anything less.

I saw to that yesterday!

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

Board footer