You are not logged in.

#1 28-04-04 22:31:06

DiL_uk

Some advice please - 1st ever POST - NEWBIE!

Hi there all

Firstly it's really great seeing all your comments here. This is my very FIRST post by the way  big_smile

I have a question which you may have answered already in your previous posts so many apologies for replicating it.

At the moment I am trying to sit for the Part 1 exam as an independent candidate. Hopefully if all goes well then I shall proceed with Part 1 and Part 2. I live in the Central Birmingham Area i.e. close to Edgbaston and was wondering and a BIG wonder that is - if I were to take up a franchise with AA does anybody know the total costs involved in my initial year to start of with as obviously I'd be the unknown fish. How much work could I really expect from the AA and if I needed to buy pupils from them what sort of a cost would I be looking at?...and I hate to ask this for the 1 BILLIONTH time but REALISTICALLY what sort of salary could I expect in my first year as i'd hate to give up my day job only to find myself out of work and penniless...

best regards to all and thanks in advance for your information and kind advice....

Dil

28-04-04 22:31:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Some advice please - 1st ever POST - NEWBIE!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-04-04 02:17:44

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I can try to answer a few of your questions;

I feel the AA will always be looking for instructors in Central Birmingham

The AA have a good start up deal, You pay £10 for the car in the first week, £20 in the second working up each week for 10 weeks to the full fee, Around £160 per week.

For this you get a new ford focus every 6 months, Insurance, Tax, Tyres, service, Even a bulb if it goes. Everything is included except As you know pupil fee and fuel.

You don't pay for the pupil's all at once, But you pay so much each week for the pupil.

They spread the cost over 10 weeks as i can remember.

At the AA you would pay around £100 per pupil, Most come with 12 hours Pre-Paid so you would have a very good chance of getting your money back out of it.

It is hard in the first few months/Year, Try to build up a few pound in the bank to tide you over whilst you are building your customers up.

You may get 12 pupils on the first day with the AA but then you may not !

It took me about 7 weeks before i was working 30 hours a week, Just as a idea for you.

Regards

#3 29-04-04 07:59:30

DiL_uk

Thanks very much for your invaluable information...just out of interest how did you get the rest of the pupils was it through word of mouth?...

Would I be correct in saying that in principle if AA were to allocate say 10 pupils then this would equate to 10*£100 spread over a number of weeks?...

regards

DiL

#4 29-04-04 12:22:43

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Yes thats right about the 10 pupils over 10 weeks.

And if you take more than 10 pupils in any ten week period you still only pay for 10. Neither would you pay for a pupil if they have a driving test booked.

Word of mouth is the other way you get pupils but it takes time for them to come through, Other options are the AA poster pack with your name and number on for new pupils to contact you direct, Therefor you would not pay the AA for these pupils you get yourself.

I used to put posters up in shops etc

Then you could put your name and number on the car, Front side and back. You can get the magnetic plates from the AA.

#5 29-04-04 21:32:30

DiL_uk

big_smile thanks for the advice - much appreciated!....

regards

DiL

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 01-05-04 17:23:16

ordit pete

DiL_uk wrote:

Hi there all

Firstly it's really great seeing all your comments here. This is my very FIRST post by the way  big_smile

I have a question which you may have answered already in your previous posts so many apologies for replicating it.

At the moment I am trying to sit for the Part 1 exam as an independent candidate. Hopefully if all goes well then I shall proceed with Part 1 and Part 2. I live in the Central Birmingham Area i.e. close to Edgbaston and was wondering and a BIG wonder that is - if I were to take up a franchise with AA does anybody know the total costs involved in my initial year to start of with as obviously I'd be the unknown fish. How much work could I really expect from the AA and if I needed to buy pupils from them what sort of a cost would I be looking at?...and I hate to ask this for the 1 BILLIONTH time but REALISTICALLY what sort of salary could I expect in my first year as i'd hate to give up my day job only to find myself out of work and penniless...

best regards to all and thanks in advance for your information and kind advice....

Dil

If you take my advice I would give the AA a wide berth and the other large national company as well. You will get a much better deal at a smaller well known school in your area. I know many instructors who have gone to the AA and left within weeks. They also only take qualified ADI's so you couldn't go there as a PDI, which I think personally think is a must to learn the business. Their franchise is  very complicated and I think you would end up paying far more than at first you anticipated.

Board footer