You are not logged in.

#1 02-08-11 12:42:23

on board training

Possible speed calcualtions please

Hi,

If a car is doing 9mph at one point and then the next point which is exactly 1 minute and 0.27 miles away doing 17mph, what speeds could be achieved in that distance if the car can accelerate from 0-60 in 6.9seconds?

I know some one will come up with some variables- my head and maths not as good as it used to be.

Brian

02-08-11 12:42:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Possible speed calcualtions please

#2 02-08-11 15:55:31

trunkmonkey

Take the points Brian :evil:

#3 02-08-11 16:41:08

on board training

Hi,

LOL - not me and no points - just someone making comments of speed of a car and the tracker showed it at two points and I know the average speed is 16mph but not sure how to work out the possible top speeds due to restricted distance covered.

Brian

#4 02-08-11 17:09:17

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
.27 ml = 1425 ft
0-60  in 6.9 secs would be reached in = 303.6ft.
So how fast do you want it to be, and how fast/short a distance can the car stop in?

#5 02-08-11 17:34:45

on board training

Hi,

That is ok at that for now thanks.
Driver reckons he wasn't above 30mph and looking at the tracker it hasn't recorded the car at any of the 1 miunte intervals above 32mph which in my mind shows a manner of driving in the built up area and even historically over several weeks, the speeds in 30s are 30-35 max with plenty of lower speeds too on the tracker but someone else reckons it was doing 50mph which is unlikely.

I reckon it was more to do with higher revs and dump valve noise that person thinks it was going faster.
Brian

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 25-08-11 18:08:21

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

What car are we talking about?  Is it a Bugatti Veyron or a Peradua?  Uphill or downhill?  Into a headwind or with a tailwind?  Too many variables to give as accurate an answer as you seek.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#7 25-08-11 20:27:59

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi mm
The OP told us what rate of acceleration was available so there is not a great deal of point throwing a high or low variant into the mix.

#8 25-08-11 20:34:09

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

The rate of acceleration given was 0 to 60 but depending on the car acceleration from the given 9mph to it's maximum acceleration within the allotted time and distance could vary greatly, is it a normally aspirated car, turbo, twin turbo, supercharged, electric vehicle, hybrid or hydrogen fuel cell?  It is an incalculable figure, but probably the biggest variable is the driver.  What if the clutch is worn and slipping?  Are the tyres under inflated?  How many hazards along the way to deal with?

#9 25-08-11 20:34:36

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

But it is a very interesting calculation to make.

Board footer