You are not logged in.

#1 18-08-11 21:31:46

Jedi

Check Test - Role play or real student?

Hi guys

I have my first check test comming up in September.  I am debating whether to get the SE to role play or to take in a real student.  Can you offer any tips and advice on how to proceed?  I am thinking of going down the role pay route.  If so which role play subjects do you think would be the ones to do. 

I am thinking either the Extended disqualified driver or Meet, Cross with Anticipation.  Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

Cheers!  smile

18-08-11 21:31:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test - Role play or real student?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-08-11 21:46:38

c-way
Verified Member
Website

If it were me I would opt for taking my own pupil -  someone I know, I have been teaching and I know where we need to improve on their driving skills.  I am waiting for my 2nd check test to drop through the door any moment now! First one was in 2006, qualified 2004,  so I am overdue now and dreading it! But as with my first one would take a real customer and offer them a free lesson for their experience but stick to their progress report and work on a subject that I would have covered on their next lesson. keep it real for your pupil and stay in control of the lesson  smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#3 18-08-11 21:52:14

G
Verified Member
Website

Totally agree with c-way, do your normal lesson with a regular pupil then at least your are showing them what you normally do so there feedback will be more useful. On my 1st check test I tried to do what I thought they wanted & got a 4 on my 2nd a few weeks ago I did what I normally do & got a 6!
The other point an 20 year+ instructor told me before my check test was to make sure you are keeping you current pupils happy as they pay your wages not the DSA!

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#4 18-08-11 22:40:45

fishie
Banned
Website

Top advice

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#5 19-08-11 07:35:58

Barry500
Website

I WAS alway told I do better with a pupil depends on the person, but I would go with pupil you then forget the examiner is there, sometimes.

#6 19-08-11 18:53:44

Jedi

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking it may be an easier option for me to get the SE to role play as I don't have many students right now.  I haven't been doing it that long - 3 months so am still trying to build up my student base.  The ones I do have are are starting to drop like flies due to lack of money, time and other commitments.  (It is quite annoying).

So I think getting the SE to role play may be the best option plus the students I have don't live that near to the test centre my check test is taking place so they won't know the area. 

Failing that from what you have all said, it looks like I might have to try and get a real student as no one has said the SE to role play is a good option.  :-s
Cheers

#7 29-08-11 19:17:45

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jedi
Contrary to the above, dont wory re doing a role play check test, the way you are tested is the important bit, not who you take or dont take!
Its about your use of the Instructional techniques and core competencies, think of taking professional coaching to improve where required if necessary and advice if possible. A poor result will be down to instruction not whether you did role play or took a 'real pupil' !!!!!
Hope that helps James   

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#8 29-08-11 20:55:11

Daveyboy
Verified Member

Don't forget you can take a full licence holder.

I did on my last CT in April this year.

It was no problem and got a 6 again.

Daveyboy

#9 07-10-11 15:31:52

Jedi

Thanks for the advice and tips guys!

I am pleased to say I passed my first check test with a grade 4.  I don't have another for 2 years.  I hope by then I can achieve at least a grade 5.

I took one of my own pupils for the test. She has had some previous lessons and was approaching the independent stage 3 years ago but then went to uni and did not pusue it.   I have given her 16 hours to date and for the lesson we covered the reverse left. 

I got some good feedback that I can use to help develop and tweak my teaching further.   It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and infact was very helpful.  The most important thing I learnt was not to treat it like a part 3, and to be able to be flexible with whatever arises and not to be so rigid
and having to stick with the lesson plan.

Thanks again! smile

#10 08-10-11 13:19:25

fishie
Banned
Website

Well done the main thing is you passed, dont worry about grades imo they are a waste of space.

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#11 31-10-11 21:35:10

Barry500
Website

I had a check test on the 20th Oct and I was graded a straight 6 took and pupil and forgot the se was in the back until I head them laugh at what we were laughing at, I did TIR and Mirrors, they love mirrors by the way.

Board footer