You are not logged in.

#1 04-08-11 16:01:05

EmmaLearner

Manouvres

I hate them I'm not perfect with driving, but I am mostly ok. My instructor just corrects me on convenience things really, like going into second when we have a short distance to go before knocking into first again. I hate manouvres though, just not very good at judging it and controlling the speed of the car. I dip the clutch all the way down, and the car seems to go flying. My ADI said to keep it at the bite and use the brake and keep dipping the clutch to control speed, but I thought the car goes faster on the bite than when it's dipped, and if I brake at the bite, the car starts making noises at me and it sounds like stalling. My ADI promised it won't and it's better than going up the kerb. I HATE parallel parking. I make stupid mistakes on manouvres like I used to with driving in my early lessons. At one point today I turned my steering the wrong way. I can turn in the road though. On my first lesson with my ADI she just said "turn the car around" and I did a turn in the road fine. I just don't get bay parking, reverse around a corner or parallel park. Makes me feel dumb.

04-08-11 16:01:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Manouvres

#2 04-08-11 17:34:46

Terrier
Banned

Hi Emma

Reversing is easy if you have full control of the speed and it's clear from what you say that you don't have control. If you find the bite correctly before you start to move the car should be still, all you have to do then is lift the clutch pedal up a fraction (say about the thickness of a pound coin) and hold it still, the car should be creeping very slowly, if it starts to gain speed you don't need to push the pedal all the way down, just push it down enough to reduce speed.

The only time you need the brake pedal is when reversing down a slope, on a flat road the clutch will control the speed. In my opinion you are not being given the correct instruction to sort this problem. I would suggest discussing this with your instructor and if nothing improves ask your friends who they learned to drive with and what their experience of reversing was like.

If your not happy with your instructor have an assessment with another instructor who has been recommended to you, after all you are paying for a service you can take your money anywhere. :angel:

Hope this helps.
ADI Manchester

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#3 04-08-11 19:09:01

EmmaLearner

How do you mean find it correctly? Like at the bite so it is moving like when you move off? I found when I brought it up to the bite it went really quick and I was told I should be using the brake to slow myself down, but when I did the car went funny when it was on the bite and braking. I think it was on a tiny bit of a slope but barely noticable. I want to keep my ADI because she is nice and makes me feel relaxed, but just need to get used to this. She said I should get the bite and keep dipping it and bringing it up to control the speed. I found I was having to turn the steering wheel really quick to even have a chance in hell of getting the car parallel with the kerb. I just want the car to go slow so I have time to look what I am doing and not just turning the wheel and hoping for the best.

#4 04-08-11 21:23:01

Terrier
Banned

Hi Emma

True biting point is when you can just feel the engine noise drop slightly and a little vibration through the car. if you then release the handbrake the car should not move, if it does it means that the clutch pedal is up too far and you have gone past the bite.

What I was saying to you is your instructor is no teaching you how to do this correctly, your clutch control will never improve until you are told how to do this correctly and you will never be able to reverse in control.

What you need to do is find a quiet stretch of road and practice finding the biting point and moving the car very slowly with the clutch, you could then go on to doing this on hills.

I know you said you like your instructor but if you are not being taught correctly it will take you loads of lessons and a lot of money. Try telling your instructor that yo are not sure how to recognise biting point and how to creep the car with the clutch and could you work on it until it improves.

Then and only then, should you try reversing again.

Hope this helps.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#5 10-08-11 19:31:15

EmmaLearner

Thanks Terrier, I tried doing that today on my lesson. Tried it again, did a bit better this time. Instead of trying to do it all in one flowing manouvre, we stopped at each individual bit and she was telling me what to look out for in the mirror. I still struggled though because the kerb is on a dip so I can't get the pedal work right. The instructor showed me what to do and she was sort of holding it on the bite, and repeatedly tapping the brake so it didn't ever build up speed. We are going to somewhere with flat kerbs next week. To try and get my steering right, she did the pedal work for me and I did the steering, because when it starts going fast I panic and go on the brake and cos I panic I stop steering. It is hard because I have to judge it in to be parallel. At least I am looking now though and not just whizzing back, turning the wheel and hoping for the best. My ADI said I am doing better at it this week and we will keep trying till I've cracked it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 10-08-11 20:36:05

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Hi Emma

True biting point is when you can just feel the engine noise drop slightly and a little vibration through the car. if you then release the handbrake the car should not move, if it does it means that the clutch pedal is up too far and you have gone past the bite.

What I was saying to you is your instructor is no teaching you how to do this correctly, your clutch control will never improve until you are told how to do this correctly and you will never be able to reverse in control.

What you need to do is find a quiet stretch of road and practice finding the biting point and moving the car very slowly with the clutch, you could then go on to doing this on hills.

I know you said you like your instructor but if you are not being taught correctly it will take you loads of lessons and a lot of money. Try telling your instructor that yo are not sure how to recognise biting point and how to creep the car with the clutch and could you work on it until it improves.

Then and only then, should you try reversing again.

Hope this helps.

Good advice - I would also try going downhill on the straight just to be sure.

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#7 14-08-11 18:01:32

G
Verified Member
Website

I agree you should be using the clutch or brake not both, if the car is going too fast remove the cause - clutch too high then if it is still going too fast use the brake.

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#8 17-08-11 17:53:55

EmmaLearner

I had another lesson today, did a bit better. I think the dipped kerbs we were using was throwing off my judgement and making me panic. Did some flat kerbs today and did a lot easier, was thinking about it as I was doing it, monitoring how fast the car was going. When it got to a certain point (the bite) it rolled nice and slow, rather than past the bite and going flying back. What I was doing before was putting the clutch on the floor and lifting clutch up to move the car, but cos it was a slope it was just going flying. Today I was looking at the mirror and getting a nice A shape in the mirror before trying to judge it in, went a bit wide sometimes but my ADI was showing me how to correct it by taking a bit of steering off.

We were trying to work out what works best for me, when doing the parallel park, when you do the full turn to the left, then stop and do full lock right, we were trying to work out what is easier. With me, when I stop and start the full lock right, as opposed to doing it all in one, I found I have more time to stop and think because that made it worse. She said when I stop and start moving again, I have a tendency to suddenly get to full lock too quick and end up being too wide. But I did a LOT better. I got it in every time, even if I had to go forward a couple of times and move myself back in. Rather than hoping for the best and mounting the kerb.

The clutch/brake thing was easier too, when it was on the bite and not past the bite, the car didn't really judder and sound like it was going to stall like it did before and I was using the clutch and brake to control my speed.

Don't think I made any mistakes with the actual driving today, was just driving along quite happily while chatting to my ADI about holidays and stuff.

I think that is a good sign, because the stages I read are prompted, seldom prompted, independent. I am very rarely seldom prompted now except once or twice for silly things like reminding me to take my handbrake off.

#9 17-08-11 18:12:39

G
Verified Member
Website

Well done, sounds like you read the replies & used the information to work out the best way for you smile

Grade 6 ADI

#10 17-08-11 18:24:14

EmmaLearner

Thanks smile Well I said I wanted to go somewhere with a flat kerb and we did this week and I did a lot better. She said I should try and get used to a dipped kerb though incase I get it on my test, but that once I've gotten a hang of the basics, it's pretty much the same. I definitely think the clutch was too high before, having it on the floor and kept bringing it up past the bite then back on the floor, rather than finding the bite and rolling back at a slow, steady pace which let me focus on where the car was going. My ADI said she definitely thinks I should do it as one movement because then I am going with my gut and not overthinking and it worked, just to make sure I do my observations before I start to turn to get to full lock, because then I've done it and I'm not looking away from the mirror when trying to judge it in. I am just glad I can drive now and feel more relaxed as opposed to nervous all the time thinking the ADI is having to hold my hand with everything I'm doing and constantly needing approval/monitoring, how I used to feel a year ago with my old ADI. I think I have come a long way and I can't wait to pass.

#11 18-08-11 12:24:57

(ROG)
Verified Member

For a lot of trainees, once the underpinning knowledge has been gained then letting them do it their own way, providing it conforms to DSA standards, is the way to go

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#12 18-08-11 16:36:33

EmmaLearner

Yeah. Hey Rog you're from Leicester too smile

#13 18-08-11 21:36:31

Sammypdi1
Website

Do you not mean the width of a 5p as a pound coin width will be far too fast for reversing? just my opinion.

Passed part 1 second attempt 97/100 58
Passed part 2 first attempt 5 minors
passed part 3 first attempt

#14 18-08-11 21:54:02

G
Verified Member
Website

Do any learners actually understand what the width of a coin is?

Grade 6 ADI

#15 19-08-11 07:38:38

Barry500
Website

Board footer