You are not logged in.

#1 11-07-11 16:06:59

chris49

Right of way at junction and mini roundabouts

I have a feeling I am in the wrong here but would like other peoples opinions. When approaching a cross roads thats controlled by lights and I am wanting to go right and the car from opposite junction wants to turn left am I correct in thinking he has right of way. Would that same principle apply for mini roundabouts where there is no car to my right for me to give way to but there is a car in front of me at opposite junction wanting to go straight on.

11-07-11 16:06:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Right of way at junction and mini roundabouts

#2 11-07-11 17:58:17

ADI Agnew
Verified Member

Correct procedure for your crossroads, however if you continued onto the roundabout who has right of way? if you both entered the roundabout at the same time would the other car be clear before you got round? (dependant on roundabout size)
I teach that whoever has more momentum should carry on being very aware of the other vehicles movement, never had any problems.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-07-11 18:34:19

chris49

Correct procedure for your crossroads, however if you continued onto the roundabout who has right of way? if you both entered the roundabout at the same time would the other car be clear before you got round? (dependant on roundabout size)
I teach that whoever has more momentum should carry on being very aware of the other vehicles movement, never had any problems.

thanks, well ill give you an example, I stopped at a mini roundabout (as in the white spot painted on the road) and opposite me was a car who just so happened to enter same time and by the time I was on the roundabout and indicating right the mini was already on the roundabout but about to exit the roundabout.

So with mini roundabouts and a car is at opposite junction its down to who was there first, i always go slow on roundabouts as opposed to driving fast.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 12-07-11 11:23:33

(ROG)
Verified Member

I have a feeling I am in the wrong here but would like other peoples opinions. When approaching a cross roads thats controlled by lights and I am wanting to go right and the car from opposite junction wants to turn left am I correct in thinking he has right of way. Would that same principle apply for mini roundabouts where there is no car to my right for me to give way to but there is a car in front of me at opposite junction wanting to go straight on.

You are spot on for the first senario - vehicle turning left has right of way

Second senario - The vehicle opposite nust give way to their right and that is where you will be approaching them from - their right

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Board footer