You are not logged in.

#26 09-12-10 18:53:29

jay37

Re: How dyslexia affects me

Hi phil I have tried to put what i am like and used some of your words . i hope you dont mind. here go's

I cant tell left from right strait away but I can do it. Thanks to my sister drawing a big R on my right hand and a big L on my left as a kid . As soon as I need to know witch way to go I think of my hands and off I go
I am good at telling the time but I need to look at a clock to time anything and go up and point to the numbers or I get confused and forget.
In a soshal situation or taking to people I either talk and talk or say nothing. I always worry later that I may have said the wrong thing as often i do.  I always think people don't like me ,I am better if I am with someone I know well. I hate going anywhere alone. I repeat my self a lot as I forget what I have said and I know people hate it when I do that but I don't mean to.
I have a good  seance of direction but only on foot. In a car I don't know were I am lol
I have a very very bad short term memory  I don't remember names or faces but seem to remember voices. I have very bad face recitation People all look the same to me. I forget things very quickly and have to repeat something over and over in my head to remember it but I still forget. I wont remember what film I saw last week or where we were till I am reminded.
I need to turn maps around to follow them so that the direction I am going in is at the top, otherwise I can’t follow them. Even on google earth the top of the UK has to be north
I have very bad co-ordination and balance . I cant stand up on a bus when its moving and I can't do more then one thing at a time without getting confused. I always drop things and I can fall over nothing. I always blame the planet for moving to fast

i want to spell everything phonetically . I hate spelling as I cant remember it. So even if you teach it to me I forget it the next day . Words are like lines that just make a mes in my head. I can type out a whole sentence and I am positive I have spelt it right, but when I look at it again its all wrong, if you spell out loud a word to me do t slowly as I will forget  each letter as soon as its said. When I read words my mind will tell me a word says something and often it says something else .Some times I find it funny when I read something wrong . I cant do maths at all

(next bit coped and pasted as I could not put it better myself)
I have to really really really really really concentrate when reading, writing or typing, the slightest noise or interruption and I will have to start all over again.  People don't understand how extremely, remarkably, amazingly, enormously, exceedingly, incredibly, utterly, unbelievably, exceptionally, implausibly frustrating it is for me when they interrupt me when I am reading or writing.  I usually have to read things 3 or 4 times before I can even begin to understand what’s being said, so if you interrupt me it doubles that.

I also have a low  attention span and get board esaly but if I like something I get addicted to it very quick

I have hightend sence of hearing and smell as well as being very sensitive to light and sound .I can here things others cant .I heat bright lights and I notice things others don't. I have very good night vision and can tap in to the feelings of animals so I have a very close bondwith my pets. I jump at the slightest thing with annoys my other half. But I also get very existed by the tiniest things. So im very easy to please

I get  frustrated if I cant do something in fact I get very angry and will even cry yet I wont give up I must keep at it till its done.

I find it easer to understand how to do something if I am doing it. So don't spend 10 minuets explaining to me first , instead tell me what to do as I do it. That way I remember better.

I will often say things wrong or use the wrong words even though in my head I know what I mean.  I have panic attacks and sometime cant go in to shops or leave the house. I have to plan everything in advance before going anywhere so I don't have a panic attack .

When I put my mind to something I will follow it to the end. I am easly hurt and love deeply . but also vey light hearted and fun and always trying to make people smile smile thats all i can think of for now

09-12-10 18:53:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 09-12-10 20:13:09

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jay,

Thank you for sharing, a curious but interesting post. 

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#28 10-12-10 07:31:00

may
Verified Member

Jay,

wow, thats me all over!! I thought it was just me who couldn't walk on a moving bus. I can hear things people can't BUT I have some hearing loss so can't hear people talking when there is lots noise around.
The animal thing is curious, I'm the same and the bond I have with my dogs is very close.

Glad its not just me smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#29 19-01-11 16:44:12

Herbie
Verified Member
Website

Wow, this is a great thread smile

I got tested for dyslexia at school and was found not to have it - my sister who did the test at the same time as me did.

However, a lot of what's been said on this thread makes so much sense to me.

Short Term Memory: yep - mine is shocking. Someone can say something to me and I'll forget it instantly. To reply to this thread, I've got it open in 2 windows - one that I can write in, and the other to re-read what I read earlier and wanted to comment on, but have forgotten.

This is also a problem for me when it comes to reading - I can read the same page over, and over again, yet not be able to tell you what it's about. I'll 'look' at every word, but not 'see' what it says. This made revision very difficult for me. The only way I found I could revise was to use colour. 2 colours for each topic. Titles and words I wanted to highlight were done in a different colour to the rest of the 'waffle'. Lots of paragraphs too - I know that if I see a big paragraph, I'll just skip past it. Reading is easier to do with a ruler to make sure I keep on the same line, otherwise it all jumps about. I often see the space between the words more than the words themselves and have to 'shade' the page.

I wrote all my part 3 notes again myself. Same text, but me writing in different colours helped.

I grip the pen too hard, which makes writing very painful for me.

When it came to exams I often got 'writing diahorria' - I'd try and get everything I knew on the subject onto the paper before it all fell out of my head. This lead to stuff not making much sense and my writing being even worse than usual. I learnt to cope with this by making a 'plan' at the top of the page. Keywords about all the stuff I had floating around in my head. This stopped me panic writing. But even then, I'd always be one of the 1st to finish writing in an exam.

Lefts and rights: yep, big issue for me. I'm soooooo much better than I used to be. The way I do it is that turning right is 'the harder way' (as you have to cross traffic). I still get it wrong though, and my pupils are (thankfully) understanding. They know to go the way I point, if the way I point and the way I say are different.

My partner finds this very strange. If I get confused he'll say "you write with your right hand. Just remember that" - but that doesn't work at all. Only people who have problems with L&R will understand.

Co-ordination: this is rubbish! My handwriting is terrible - even I can't read it most of the time. I don't have one 'style' of writing - it changes on a daily basis. There were times at school when my teachers asked if it was actually me who did the homework, as the writing was so different to the last one I handed in. I find watching people write (those with neat writing) facinating though. I could watch my best friend at school write for hours.

I do a lot of my own work on my 'other' cars. This presents it's own problems. Because of my co-ordination I stuggle to use tools correctly and spend most of my time starting to undo a bolt, dropping the spanner, then doing it up untill I drop it again, then back to undoing and so on - it takes me forever to undo a bolt as I don't know which way it goes. This is made even worse by bolts which are behind something (so I can't see it) or underneath something. My boyfriend says watching me use a screwdriver is 'painful' as he can see full well that I'm not going to get the screwdriver on the screw and I'm going to miss it a few times before I get it right.

Because of all this, I end up looking like I self harm with all the cuts and bruises I have from slipping off the ends of spanners, being clumsy etc.

My pain threshold is very low. I'm the biggest wimp in the world. Everything hurts, and I'm very afraid of putting myself in a situation which might be painful.

I also have problems reading out loud and stuttering. I often get so tongue tied when talking to my pupils that even I don't know what I'm trying to say. It feels like the words are trying to come out far too fast.

Numbers. I don't do numbers. When I look at, or have anything to do with numbers I get the same confused feeling in my head as when I'm looking for lost keys. So muddled, cloudy and confused. Even simple maths I stuggle with. I worked in a shop where I had to reduce things by 50% at the end of the night. This took me ages (in the end I asked someone to help or just guessed what it might be). I was ok when it was a nice round number - such as £2. But if it was £1.75 it completely threw me. Even now, I want to work out what 1/2 of £1.75 is, but my brain is saying "no, don't do it, it'll be too confusing".

Digital clocks - I'm better than I used to be, but struggle with digital over normal clocks. With a normal clock I can see the 'chunk' of time I have until X O'clock, but with a digital one, I find it difficult to process if it's only just gone the hour, or nearly up. Digital speedos I struggle with too.

Frustration: as someone said above, if something doesn't go right instantly, I can get very annoyed with myself. I have the patience of a saint normally, but not when it comes to myself. If I can't get something right instantly, it really frustrates me - especially when it's related to a co-ordination issue.

I also have the thing where if I'm not interested, I'll take no notice, but if I like it I quickly become obsessed with it. Talking about obsessions - I have 7 VWs. These are my 'babys' and I've given a personality to them all. I would be extemely distressed if anything happened to one of them. This was a particular concern when it came to me buying Herbie. My friends warned me that I couldn't get attatched to this car like the others. I don't like anyone else drive my others - my partner is allowed to drive those he part owns, but not ones which are all 'mine' - especially my favourite one. I've already been close to tears a few times in the last week as the realisation that it is 2011 has hit me. Herbie is due to go back to VW in July. I'm already worried about it. I would dearly love to keep him as a spare, but I simply can't afford to. Secretly, I'd love my Dad to buy him off me as a spare car for him/my mum/my sisters - but at the same time, I know they wouldn't look after him properly and it would upset me to see him dirty and needing servicing etc.

I also jump at stuff very easily. I won't go on a kid's ghost train as they terrify me. Only last week I was in the garage when my boyfriend came in - I screamed and jumped out of my skin (in turn, so did he lol).

I turn maps too. And my iphone if I'm following a map on that to the bank in a town I don't know that well.

I'm different to what most people have said about getting lost though. Once I've been somewhere once, that's normally it -I can find my way again no problem.

I go though extremes with being neat or untidy. For the most part, I'm untidy. I live in organised chaos. But, if I tidy stuff, I tidy it until it's perfect - anything out of line really annoys me. I will keep it like that for a few days, and then it will be untidy again and won't bother me. I HATE my car being dirty. I've been known to wash it every day, and in the rain.

Spatial awareness. Big problems with this. I walk into door frames instead of through them all the time. I often end up with the door handle in the pocket of my fleece. I trip over anything and everything. When I've worked in shops, I've had big difficulties in stacking tins. I'd never get one tin on top of the other - I'd either go too low, and knock the 1st tin over, or I'd go too high and hit the bottom of the next shelf up. I spent more time picking up stuff I'd knocked over than I did putting new stuff on. This got so bad, that I actually went to the doctors about it and the opticians. Opticians said I had no problems. I asked the doc to see if I could get tested for dyspraxia and she said "well if you had it, they would have picked it up when you did your dyslexia test at school" - because of this, I've been afraid to try again to get help as it left me feeling stupid.

When typing and writing, I have to be careful not to let my thinking get too far infront of my typing as I end up skipping to the end, or writing the end of the word before the beginning - when writing 'the' I often write 'he' then add the 't' on afterwards.

Unlike some others on here, I love patterns - I love things to fit in 'boxes' and have rhythmn.

You would have thought that my poor co-ordination, balance and spatial awareness would be a problem when I used to ride horses - bizzarely, it didn't. They all came together perfectly when riding, and I was often praised for it. The same when it came to learning to drive - I picked it all up very quickly and never had any real problems.

However, I'm worried that I'm getting worse as I get older (I'm now 26) as (and this is going to sound really bad) I can have trouble parking my own car. I'm fine when sat in the passenger seat - I know if a pupil is within the lines of a bay, if theyr'e straight, far back enough etc etc, and the same with PP - I know if they're going to do it perfectly or not. However, doing it myself can be a different question at times. In my LHD Beetle, I'm fine. I don't know why I stuggle more with the RHD, but LHD feels much more natural to me.

Sorry, I appear to have waffled a fair bit.

Last edited by Herbie (08-11-15 19:41:47)

#30 30-03-11 21:48:56

lindjemp

I know this is an old post but I have only just come across it and can identify with everything said in the first post.

I have only just discovered I am dyslexic at the grand old age of 50 and its come as quite a shock and I am having a hard time coming to grips with it - (only just found out my mum has it too and has covered it up for years) - if i hadn't been learning to drive and googled problems with left and right I don't think I would ever have known!

Does anyone have any tips for a learner like me that will help them learn to drive? - I am really struggling. My instructor now says "down to the left" and "up to the right" to overcome my left/right problems but the short term memory is dreadful so if he begins to explain a manoeuvre like reversing into a bay by the time he's got to the end I have forgotten the beginning! I am hoping by constant repetition it will sink in but as I said its a real struggle.

Memory pegs are good for me - my instructor told me to remember Toucan crossing as 2-can-go (ie both pedestrians and cyclists) and that has stuck since my earliest lessons.

Any help or tips would be great!

#31 30-03-11 22:48:38

jay37

Its best to split everything in to small steps. So to do reverse parallel parking ask your instruction to tell you the first bit i.e. turn the wheel ones all the way around  to left as you reverse slowly. Stop. Thats 1 step. Next step, Turn the wheel back to were it began. Step 3, turn the wheel all the way to the right and reverse. Done. 3 steps. Try to tell your DI that they have to do things in steps. And tell you one bit at a time not all at ones.

#32 31-03-11 08:15:15

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Lind

Just a thought like me I'm a 55 year old lexDysic. You have developed many methods of hiding your problem, how about thinking for yourself what memory tags can I create or use. As for left a right how about putting a L & R somewhere in front of you I have them on my rear view mirror.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#33 31-03-11 08:36:37

Herbie
Verified Member
Website

Does your instructor point in the direction he wants you to go in? I find that helps me, and I point for my own pupils. (this also serves as a back up for if I say the wrong way, they go in the direction I've pointed in).

I'm much better with my lefts and rights than I used to be as I have to use them all day every day. One way I've found easy to remember which is which is that 'right' is the 'harder one' as you have to cross traffic.

You can also ask the examiner to point in the direction he wants you to go if that helps you. Don't feel embarrased about asking them, they're used to it (or at least, the examiners at my test centre are!).

For parking, I use 1 turn left, 2 right, then 1 left again. An easy way to remember it is like the Chuckle Brothers - to me, (2) to you, to me!

If you're having trouble knowing which way to turn, a good thing to do is to go to a large car park, and set out some cones (or other obsticles) to reverse round in a figure of 8 - just look out the back window and get used to looking where the back of the car goes - in the end, you probably won't need to think about which way you're turning the wheel as you're naturally steering where you're looking. I've found this has helped pupils a lot.

#34 02-04-11 15:30:09

lindjemp

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

#35 06-04-11 19:12:38

sherazade

I found this thread while googling dyslexia and driving. I always thought I'd outgrown my dyslexia until I started to learn to drive at the age of 40. I really couldn't work out why I was unable to grasp where left and right were while under pressure! And then remembering sequences etc I found so difficult. Checking the net I began to find similarities between myself and other dyslexic sufferers.

Long ago my reading skills were absolutely terrible, I was the worst reader in my class at school. Thankfully i was taught to read by my mother who showed me an alternative way of reading (looking at the full word/sentence rather than splitting it into letters), I went from being the worst reader in my class to the best. Now I have no problem reading, writing (except when typing but I put that down to poor typing skills) and can spell out words easily. However, I can't read out loud, nor can I do maths in my head, I was and am hopeless at languages and music.
I'm good a creative writing and have had short stories published and have a book or two written and hiding away in my house. With people I can pick up body language very easily and have been told I'm good at giving massages and have taken a course in Reiki.

Taking dyslexic tests via the net I find because of my good reading and writing skills I'm classed as only borderline dyslexic.

Reading this thread has made me realise that being slightly dyslexic won't stop me learning to drive. I prefer having directions pointed out to me, even better if I'm told to turn left just before tesco and right at the garage. Slowly I'm remembering sequences, generally I find that if I over think things I'm much worse than if I allow my feet and hands do the thinking for me (difficult to explain).
So, thank you for putting this thread up. I find it very inspiring

#36 07-04-11 16:24:04

lindjemp

I agree with you about the overthinking thing in driving - as soon as i start really trying to analyse what to do with my feet I fluff everything up! I am hoping that lots of practise and I will overcome this and it will become a natural habit .

I have also developed a different way of reading - my mum is dyslexic but never told anyone (back in her day it wasnt really understood) and always made sure I read every little thing that came my way.

I have ordered a book from Amazon called the AA Driving Skills manual - I always learn better if  i can read something so hopefully that will help  -will report back when I get it!

#37 25-04-11 23:44:23

ACJ
Verified Member
Website

Hi everyone, I think this is a brilliant topic and very useful to us all.  I have many pupils who are dyslexic and quite a few who show signs of it which I have discussed with them and they always seem really relieved when we discuss it, as if it is a weight off their mind for it to be recognised by someone so that coping and learning strategies can be found for them individually.

My son is dyslexic.  He's an extremely slow writer and therefore hates writing, however he loves reading but if reading out loud, often gets things in the wrong order or misses words out.  Sometimes he talks without you knowing what he is referring to - i.e. he thinks he has told you but infact has only thought it and follows on the thought out loud (hope you understand what I mean cos hard to explain!).  He forgets things very easily and instructions have to be brken down into steps.

He is fantastic with computers and computer gaming.  He is very disorganised and forgetful in everyday life and is always losing things.  However he works as a very accomplished sous chef and has to be very organised, remember timings and juggle several things in his mind at the same time!  He is also excellent at languages and maths (got A's in GCSE's for both along with 2 other A's and 6 other GCSE's!!)  His sense of direction is way better than mine!

At senior school he was labelled as lazy, however he was just not being chanelled and helped in the right way and got so frustrated that he lost the interest in carrying on.  He could easily have gone on to university but was just too worn down with put downs to carry on.  I am extremely proud of him however and he does so much better doing practical and creative things rather than anything which involves writing.

I paid to get him assessed whilst he was at senior school as his teachers would not help or recognise his problem as he was so obviously very bright.  As I had expected he was found to be dyslexic with a writing speed of a 6 yr old.

For the inde part of the test I often find dyslexic pupils find problems with signs so instead get them to look out for colours first - RED ones (warnings), GREEN ones (major routes), BLUE shapes on the green signs (motorways) etc

With left and rights I get them to think that they are right(!) so I'm (or other front seat passenger) on the other side i.e. on the left.

I also find that using 'towards the kerb' and 'away from the kerb' works better rather than left and right when explaining steering for some of the manouevres.

Love the chuckle brothers idea for the PP - will use that one smile

Keep the info rolling in please - thanks everyone for sharing.

#38 28-06-11 19:07:14

clouddancer

Phil, great post, I'm new here but also dyslexic. I'm sure those that read it & are willing to listen will be helped a great deal

Now language learning I know a bit about, forget trying to learn conventionally, get a listen only tape/CD and learn by hearing only, this is how you learnt English & it is easier for dyslexics and you'll learn to think in the language, much quicker. Also watch films on DVD you know well and change the language.

Seriously OT so I won't go on, but I was Chair for a long term exchange organisation for many years and have 3 multi lingual , dyslexic kids as a result (well nearly adults now).

#39 28-06-11 19:28:02

onmyown
Verified Member

WOW powerful and so honest.
I teach people with dyslexia, and to be short about this, I thought I was clever and understood it, thank you for being so exact.
I know that left and right is an issue, as is, up and down on the indicator lever, as is, is that your side or mine, and I know you understand this, I have a dry wipe pen and write L and R on the mirror, this is the 1st place we look so hence left and right sorted, also on the screen up and down, this helps greatly and is simply wiped off for the next lesson.
Also a very strong point made (Dare I) people think I am thick, this goes back years when left handed people had a ruler
rapped acroos the knuckles if caught writing left handed.
Dyslexia has only just come to the front, and I find teaching people with dyslexia, a great joy, because they ask what to do next, and Q & A is our job, and dyslexia is all Q & A.
The bad point for dyslexia is there is no sanctions for the theory, and that needs looking at now, thank you for a great and honest post.

#40 28-06-11 19:47:38

clouddancer

What do you meam not sanctions for the theory ? You can have extra time on request.

#41 28-06-11 19:57:58

onmyown
Verified Member

yes I know, but the problem is.
When you have choice A.B.C.E. by the time you have read them you have forgotten A B and C, and audible does not work because it has the same effect, I had a pupil that took it 7 times, because of dyslexia, why should he have to pay 7 times.
that is my point really.

#42 28-06-11 20:06:02

clouddancer

Well my approch would be to discount the incorrect ones until I had the correct one, I couldn't do it with the audible as I'd have forgotton so I can understand that, but although I never did the current theory, I have tried the online one without too many problems. Does the actual one vary from that ?

What does his assessor suggest ? or what are his recommended stratergies assuming he is around school age and thus had one.

#43 28-06-11 20:15:08

onmyown
Verified Member

I am an ADI, and my suggestion is simply to let dyslexic people try the test and then not have to pay for re-try's.
The good thing is, when a person with dyslexia passes the test, they understand it better than most people, because they have to know the exact answer and not abc or d.
So the poster is right, dyslexic people will have a greater knowledge of the test.
I do tests every week and have one built into my web site and update it at regular intervals.

#44 28-06-11 21:03:02

clouddancer

As a dyslexic, I'm not sure that would be fair, if you don't revise and know the answer why should you get better terms than others ? I think a level field is important but not over compensation otherwise the discrimination goes the other way. As you mention if you know the answer the result should be clear.

Do you mean people learn if A B or C is correct rather than the answer ? Don't the answers get shuffled ?

Board footer