You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-06-11 05:51:43

martin Williams
Verified Member

Advice on my check test due soon please

Hello all I have my first check test due very soon. I have decided to take a pupil who failed his first test last week. He failed with 6 minor and 2 serious faults. Below is what I know from the debrief

Controlled Stop -Minor  Control, I expect but dont know he may have gone for the handbrake before stopped
Left Reverse - Minor for observations
Move off safely - Minor for Observations, I expect but dont know this was for not checking the blind spots
Use of mirrors Change of direction 3 minors - Not sure what they were for but it may have been for going round parked cars or more likely when exiting  roundabouts.
Junctions turning right - Serious, This was for taking the wrong lane at a roundabout on the Independent part of the drive not realizing where the exit was untill on the roundabout due to not looking at the road sign on approach.
Awareness/ Planning - Serious, This was for not being aware the speed limit had change from 40 to 30 and he kept on doing 40.

This is what I know about the pupil. He is in his early 30s. He did get a 12 month ban from driving about 12 years ago for driving with no licence and Insurance. He did have some terible bad habits most but obviously not all have been fixed. As you can see all of the faults above where caused by his observations apart from the controlled stop.

I do have a 1 hour lesson booked with him the week before my Check Test. Any Constructive advice on how I should approach my Check Test would be appreciated.

Thank You, Martin

27-06-11 05:51:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice on my check test due soon please

#2 27-06-11 10:09:45

Terrier
Banned

Hi Martin

On meeting the examiner tell him the history on your pupil and tell him you have discussed the results of his test but not yet attempted to correct the problems. On the recap at start of lesson discuss the serious faults only and use some Q&A on the faults. A very brief mention of the minor faults is acceptable telling him you will address any other problems if they occur, this should only take 5 min maximum.

During the drive try to use early Q&A on the serious faults but be ready to give positive instruction if safety is at risk or the pupil can't get it right.
Correct any other faults as you would on a normal lesson.

At the end of the lesson give a short recap on what has been achieved and ask the pupil how they feel the lesson went.

This is just a very general approach and it's impossible to be specific without seeing you or the pupil, Ideally you should have had an hour with a trainer before the check test just to put your mind at rest.

Hope this helps and it all goes well for you.

Regards
Terrier
Grade 6 ORDIT APPROVED TUTOR.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#3 27-06-11 11:50:34

martin Williams
Verified Member

Thanks Terrior that sounds like sound advice. I am concerned that he picked up 3 minors for the mirror checks all for change of direction should I not discuss them in the recap?

#4 27-06-11 12:38:12

on board training

Hi,

When is your check test?

Brian

#5 27-06-11 13:40:12

daz6215
Verified Member

So what is your lesson plan Martin?  My advice would be, don't try and do too much! Set an objective for you both to work towards and work on that. As an example from what I have read from your post, your lesson plan could be focussed around forward planning/use of mirrors.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 27-06-11 14:55:13

martin Williams
Verified Member

Hi,

When is your check test?

Brian

Its 7th July. I have a few ideas in my head but just after some advice before I make my final lesson plan. As Daz said most of the problems are down to forward planning and mirror checks.

#7 27-06-11 15:18:30

on board training

Hi,

Bearing in mind the check test ideally is the next lesson for your student.

If your student failed a test is it natural to not cover anything from the test in the hour this week and then cover it the following week? - just a thought

When you approach your lesson - appropriate Q & A to establish he knows how well he did with what he did correct then, Q & A why he did the two serious and the mirrors and other normal faults, and then to look at the consequences and benefits for him to decide on a level of instruction or support he needs to sort it and to identify how he will know if he has sorted it out - then do the same with whatever happens on the road - remembering to park up briefly to chat about the good and not so good bits working through the core comps in similar way - sorted.

AND at end get him to recap and say how he felt he has achieved his objectives and to scale on a 0 - 10 and then for him to decide plan of action for next lesson and you agree if appropriate.

Brian 

Brian

#8 27-06-11 20:09:56

martin Williams
Verified Member

Thanks Brian,

I do see your point about the next lesson. I will make sure my check test is his next lesson I'm sure he wont mind as he will get a free lesson. I will take on board all you have said. I see your point on making sure he knows all the good things he did as well as discussing the faults he made. It seems reasonable to me to leave the reverse and controlled stop till another time do you agree?

Martin

#9 27-06-11 20:29:12

on board training

Hi,

Establish if he was aware of the two serious faults, then establish why they happened - establish through Q & A if he knows what he should have done, (knowledge), if yes I take it he has done it ok consistently otherwise you would not have had him up for test then that leaves the affective domain as the issue (his belief, attitudes, responsibility) then get him to consider the benefits of doing it correct and the possible consequences of getting it wrong and get him to decide what he needs to do to sort it (and what support you may need to give him).

Then head of for him to sort it and depending how he sorts it he may have time for one or other of the emergency stop or left reverse. But less is more.

Brian

#10 28-06-11 08:17:10

Barry500
Website

Just 'wing' the check test always works for me.

Board footer