You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 30-05-11 19:47:27

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Driving at Work Policy

Hi

Along with a few others, I have been asked to look at my companies Driving at Work Policy.

Have any of you had experience with company Driving policies? Or indeed, think of anything you feel should be included in one?

I have download the HSE driving at work and compared to what we have, very similar, and to be honest, not sure I can add anything.

Only thing is, our Policy was last updated April 08, so I’d think there should be new regs etc to add.

Any help is appreciated.

AL

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

30-05-11 19:47:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving at Work Policy

#2 02-06-11 05:26:49

ralge
Verified Member

A big topic, indeed.
If the company has a policy, great.
If it has been filed and not looked at since 2008, not so good.
Not too much has changed reg's-wise in recent years except for Driver CPC.
Accurate and recorded compliance with your policy is more important if the company wishes to comply (bottom-covering and box-ticking). Is the company doing what it sets out to do?  Or is the reality on-the-ground very different. (in my experience you could drive a bus through the gaps between policy and practice in all sorts of areas: vehicle and licence checking, use of mobiles whilst driving ...)
Reviewing it more regularly and in light of actual incidents, claims etc. would allow the company to plan for action to reduce negative, unnecessary fleet costs AND its continuing exposure to an incident (and to the likelihood of an investigation). 
In short, writing the policy is the easy bit!

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 03-06-11 09:02:18

(ROG)
Verified Member

Not too much has changed reg's-wise in recent years except for Driver CPC.

Which only affects PCV & LGV drivers

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 03-06-11 10:01:23

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I feel its mainly our company reps who are not checked on enough, it looks like a "one off" assessment is all they need, whereas, I assess our HGV drivers on an annual basis.
I will be looking to add in at least bi-annual assessments and post collision assessments (possibly verbal in the 1st instance, or severity of collision)

BUT, it looks like a BIG BIG can of worms could be opened if this is not done correctly.

Driver CPC Trainer

#5 13-06-11 20:24:49

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

The Big can or worms was duly opened last week, but the good thing that came out of the meeting was that the 22 page policy document was reduced to 7 pages.

All the “blurb” was removed and will now be placed into a ref doc which I have been given the task of making up, at this point I am not sure if I should make two?
1 for Cars/Vans
1 for LGV/HGV

Or place both together, which will hopefully have car/van drivers browsing through the HGV section (which I feel can only help, maybe confuse a little though)

any topics you ADI's would like company drivers to be briefed on?

Driver CPC Trainer

#6 13-06-11 20:37:33

(ROG)
Verified Member

I would make one document/policy booklet

The first part would include everything that applies to all drivers and then perhaps one or two more sections that are specific to certain licence categories

IAM Observer

#7 13-06-11 20:44:24

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

yeah ROG, thinking along that line as well

what we have for ref is a 17 page A5 size booklet, I made a 30 page A5 booklet last year for our road safety week as a handout, I think between them both, I may get everything covered, but open to suggestions as to what others would like covered.

Driver CPC Trainer

#8 14-06-11 08:56:14

(ROG)
Verified Member

Many of these type of things tend to repeat much of the info and therefore take up too much space in a booklet

IAM Observer

#9 27-06-11 20:16:02

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Policy doc for cars is complete, now working on HGV policy( "O" licence drivers) and almost got the mini booklet complete.

2 more trips to HQ at Uxbridge, might even get a free lunch!

thanks to all who sent PM's, made my life easier.

Driver CPC Trainer

Board footer