You are not logged in.

#1 09-06-11 11:48:58

sumbyv1

Sigh....Brilliant lesson followed by not so good.

So for the last week ive been ahead of myself as ive been looking for cars and insurance quotes after driving perfectly (as close as a learner can) for the whole of my last lesson. I was chuffed and full of confidence and thought id pass the test if i had it soon and just remained calm. But now, a week later i messed up twice. both of which would have meant a fail if id been on a test. First i was coming slowly towards a red light and the second i stopped they turned green so naturally i went to go but i was still in second, as it happened so fast and i stalled, missed the green light (short ones) and held up 2 cars behind me. Then about twenty mins later i was waiting to turn right at a red light, then it turned green and i went but didnt realise that there was another set of lights as soon as you turn right and they were on red so had to break harshly and was a little over the line. Its amazing how two split second mistakes can make you feel so bad. Ive been full of confidence for a week and now ill be feeling down until saturday when hopefully, i can drive well again. So no real point to this post just wanted to vent a little frustration at myself. Ive had about 27 hours worth of lessons now and was hoping if i drove well again that my instructor might tell me to book a test. maybe in a few more weeks.....

09-06-11 11:48:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Sigh....Brilliant lesson followed by not so good.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-06-11 12:11:17

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

It sounds like anticipation could still need a little work. I get my pupils to do a running commentary at times such as this. Having to voice an action before taking it makes you think that little bit further ahead. I remember DTH put put up a good reference for commentary driving some time ago - sadly, it's gone from my computer.

Other than that, remember 27 hours is not usually enough to make someone competent. I'm sure your patience will pay off in the end. ;-)

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 09-06-11 12:53:25

greenyaris

. First i was coming slowly towards a red light and the second i stopped they turned green so naturally i went to go but i was still in second, as it happened so fast and i stalled, missed the green light (short ones) and held up 2 cars behind me. Then about twenty mins later i was waiting to turn right at a red light, then it turned green

Don't knock yourself up over this....make a positive and learn from it.
Hilary is correct; your anticipation and for that matter your forward planning need more work
Re-read what you wrote....red lights just don't go green, do they? Lots of clues as you approach the red....how long on red? which other junction is on the green, how long? Does your lane have a pedestrian light...is it green? yours stay red. Is it red, yours could go green.
When you were waiting at that red light to turn right you should have been planning where you needed to go and what obstacles you were up against. As Hilary says, talk to yourself out loud about what you see and perceive to happen helps enormously.

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

Board footer