You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 12-02-11 08:29:02

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Re: red tape on wheel?

Now this is unusual for me because I have a philosophy of ONLY use what comes as standard with the car, NO added extras (including blindspot mirrors) and certainly NO stickers in the windows....

Blind spot mirrors are an aid to safer driving for everyone.     
I also  have a magnifying lens on the rear window which aids parking in tight places.  My pupils use it too.

12-02-11 08:29:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 12-02-11 16:46:35

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Now this is unusual for me because I have a philosophy of ONLY use what comes as standard with the car, NO added extras (including blindspot mirrors) and certainly NO stickers in the windows....

* red,2,300

I also  have a magnifying lens on the rear window which aids parking in tight places.  My pupils use it too.

I disagree in certain circumstances, (particularly when they are stuck onto the exterior mirror) can be a hindrance as they make it more difficult to pick up the relevant information on the  move.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#28 21-02-11 21:31:55

Grumpy old man
Verified Member

red tape on wheel - little pieces of coloured tape on rear offside and nearside windows - tape on the back window to my mind that doesnt help with tuition it is simply for lazy adi's who can't be bothered to teach properly.

The DSA will not beat me nor will small minded vindictive little people with a sense of their own importance

#29 31-03-11 10:55:23

jimmydavid
Verified Member
Website

Personally I have never used any type of sticker or tape in my car. To be honest i'm a little OCD with stickers etc on a car, drives me mad yikes

www.onewaydrivingschool.org
info@onewaydrivingschool.org

#30 28-05-11 11:44:45

Barry500
Website

I have seen tape and think that there are other natural reference points like the shape of the steering wheel for them to relate to,
I have never put stickers round my car for them to use they are all different heights and this can move these reference points again I get the pupils to use the natural reference points of the car.

For example when pulling up next to the kerb 'Where does the kerb disappear looking at the window wipers' thats your reference point different depending on their height, ok this has a slight floor you can only do this when they are not moving ie raining but they will by that time be used to where roughly the point is and not slam into the kerb every time.

Hope this helps.

#31 28-05-11 12:38:58

SDS

How does the pupil know they haven't got a 'full turn' on? Surely its best to teach the pupil to recognise 'what the car is doing' rather than focus on a piece of red tape?

#32 28-05-11 22:03:42

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

I occasionally do steering exercises in a quiet carpark.

I demonstrate how many turns the wheel needs (roughly 3 turns lock to lock or 1½ turns to centre in most power steering cars) but I discourage them from staring at the wheel.

With the car stationary the student shuts their eyes while I give the wheel 1 full turn (a bit of dry steering involved, I try to do it on loose surfaces).
When they open their eyes, there's the steering wheel in it's "normal" position - but it could be straight ahead or turned one full turn to the left or to the right.
They have to move the car gently, identify which way - if any - the wheel is aimed, and if it's not already centre they have to get it centred in the shortest possible time.
They learn to take note of which way the view moves to "see what the car is doing" (as SDS says).
I get them to hold the wheel lightly as the move off, if they're going forward they can often detect the castor effect as the wheel tries to straighten itself.

I also do pylon turns (full-lock steering round a pole or kerbed island as close as possible without touching it).

I only do one or more of these exercises if the think the student needs it, as they chew up lesson time and I operate in a culture which expects a licence in about 2 to 8 lessons (they're usually disappointed).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer