You are not logged in.

#1 19-05-11 16:10:43

Feebs

Learning to drive at 54 !

Hi All...I'm learning to drive at 54 !!!

Unfortunately I lost my partner of 24 years 7 months ago and have never had to worry about driving as he used to take me everywhere. This is a huge milestone for me as I have to become independent,  and I really really hope I can pass my test. I'm on lesson 20 at the moment and doing ok, still a bit freaked out about being too close to parked cars on the left and always think I'm too close to vehicles coming towards me.

Wish me luck...are they any other 'oldies' out there learning to drive  smile

19-05-11 16:10:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Learning to drive at 54 !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-05-11 19:25:08

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

There's a lot of us out there learning [continually] to instruct.... big_smile

Ask yourself "whats to my left before" steering away from the oncoming vehicle, its a good idea to focus and aim at the gap ahead.

Good luck, keep us informed of your progress smile

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#3 19-05-11 19:44:22

colin166
Verified Member

Hi Feebs,
I am currently teaching a 50 year old fork lift truck instructor to drive car.

#4 20-05-11 07:29:38

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Feebs

Sorry to hear of your loss but well done for taking the plunge!! The oldest lady I took to test, a few years ago now was 63!! It's not unusual to think you haven't got enough space you will soon be fine, I'm sure, as your instructor works through this with you. Are you learning in a manual or auto?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 20-05-11 15:21:20

Feebs

Thanks all for encouragement..it's a great morale booster. I'm learning in Renault Megane Automatic Lynne, it is quite a big car and a bit of a challenge reversing into a side road !!.. Have just about stopped shrieking on roundabouts although I still find them really scary, especially when joining to turn right around the roundabout to take the 3rd exit...I hate the bit where you have to move back into the left hand lane and always think something is going to hit me. Will plod on regardless as I absolutely have to get my licence ! 

Hi Feebs

Sorry to hear of your loss but well done for taking the plunge!! The oldest lady I took to test, a few years ago now was 63!! It's not unusual to think you haven't got enough space you will soon be fine, I'm sure, as your instructor works through this with you. Are you learning in a manual or auto?

#6 20-05-11 17:47:30

Lynne
Verified Member

I'm sure your left reverse will be fine in time.  If your instructor doesn't give you handouts you may find it useful to make notes so you can look them over in your own time (retaining information doesn't get easier as we get older does it wink  ) particularly with manoeuvres and points of turn.

Roundabouts can be tricky, there's often lots to do when you break it down and it doesn't help when you watch others and they make it look so easy (as my pupil said this morning when I gave her a demo.)  At least you haven't got to worry about gears.  smile  When you find roundabouts a little easier maybe your instructor, will, in time, get you to do a quick left shoulder check just before you move over; I guess at the moment you are just using mirrors?  It may help you feel a little better that there is (hopefully) nothing there (and if there is you can deal with it accordingly).  I bolt this extra check on the end with mine when they've had a fair bit of practice and all the mirror, signalling and positioning is in place then it's easy to just look over.

Good luck  smile

#7 20-05-11 18:20:28

Feebs

Thanks Lynne

I'm very lucky in that i have a great instructor who I feel very lucky to have found...he is very patient and very encouraging. It's great to get advice from another instructor and makes me believe that I may actually achieve my licence (eventually), I've had 20 lessons now and will be booking at least another 10...thanks for your advice and good wishes   tongue

Board footer