You are not logged in.

#1 18-05-11 17:41:08

Sammypdi1
Website

Is my instructor who he says he is?

Can anyone advise me if there is away to check to see a driving instructors grade, as my trainer claims to be a grade 6 ordit ,grade 6 dsa, grade 6 fleet, and recently i find myself arguing with him about a lot of things. the latest was he told me at a roundabout if i turn left i should never emerge at the same time as a van using it as a cover but if we were both going straight ahead at a roundabout it would be ok to go at the same time. every time i question things like this im told this is a grey area in driving. is he correct ? hes got me really confused iv got my part 2 booked and hes telling me  the examiner will say im driving like a learner but im only doing what he has told me but he said again he had to teach me this way first to slow everything down and make sure im doing everything correct, i feel like giving up im so confused about how to drive for this test now starting to wish i had gone with ldc instead of independant trainer  yikes

Passed part 1 second attempt 97/100 58
Passed part 2 first attempt 5 minors
passed part 3 first attempt

18-05-11 17:41:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is my instructor who he says he is?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-05-11 17:50:07

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Any trainers out there willing to pass on their knowledge?
Am I correct in thinking that SDS is a trainer? You may want to drop he/she a line, Sammy.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#3 18-05-11 20:26:52

on board training

Hi Sammy,

How did you study for your theory and what resources did you use?

Cheers, Brian

#4 18-05-11 20:41:23

Sammypdi1
Website

Hi brian

I bought the adi premier pack from desktop driving, that had training materials for parts 1,2 and 3 i used drving essential skills, highway code, driving test master dvd rom and focus cd rom and also bought the dsa official guide to hazard perception.

#5 18-05-11 21:01:00

on board training

Hi Sammy,

I would be concerned if any of my trainers said their pdi was arguing with them or they couldn't explain things cleary so you had an understanding of the reasoning of why you were doing things.

Remember your trainer should be identifying what you are doing correct as well as areas for improvement and working through these areas using the core competencies of identification, analysis and remedial (or affirmation if correct).

I certainly wouldn't use a normal size van as a shield to go anywhere - a large goods vehicle or bus maybe but it would still depend on the situation -  just my thoughts of course.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me or even to meet up for a chat.

Brian

#6 18-05-11 21:25:10

mdf0075

Hi Sammy

good luck for your part 2, my non expert opinion if you are paying good money per lesson and not happy STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk to him and tell him your views, and if nothing changes, find a trainer that you like!!!!!

When you are out working, your pupils will drop you if they are not happy with your lessons, so dont forget you are his pupil!!

But thats my non expert view

Michael

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#7 18-05-11 22:40:59

Sammypdi1
Website

Thanks for the advice people

#8 19-05-11 08:22:50

(ROG)
Verified Member

Using van as 'shield' when turning left at roundabout
Van times it ok - just - to avoid motorbike
Motorbike is heading for your exit
Motorbike comes fast around back of van.......... oops!

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#9 19-05-11 15:58:04

Terrier
Banned

Sammy

Re; your trainers grades, you can ask to see a copy of his check test result he should have no problem producing this if it's correct. As far as ORDIT is concerned the trainer is not graded, it is either satisfactory or not. However, the marking on the ORDIT inspection is the same as check test in that it is marked on a 1-6 scale but it is not an actual grade.

On my last ORDIT inspection I had 6 in every box but I can't advertise as a grade 6ORDIT, I am also grade 6 ADI so I can obviously advertise this.

If the trainer objects to producing any of the records for grades I would think carefully as to whether it is correct or not. As far as you having arguments with your trainer concerning correct techniques, it is not professional for a trainer to engage in arguments with a trainee, he should be able to explain why a technique is correct and the possible problems of a wrong technique without having an argument, remeber though there is a difference between an argument and a discussion.

If you need any further help don't hesitate to ask, it's all free on here.

ORDIT Registered Tutor 25 years
Manchester

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#10 20-05-11 22:48:01

Matterhorn

Check here to see whether he is ORDIT registered.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dsa/atozordit.asp?cat=478

Alternatively, check his windscreen as I see no reason why a trainer who is ORDIT registered wouldn't be displaying his badge.

#11 21-05-11 08:32:14

on board training

Hi,

Also remember that if someone is a Grade 6 and ORDIT Regd. etc it only shows how he/she performed in a snapshot in time. It is how the everyday training sessions are conducted that count.

The exact same way you hear of instructors simply teaching a learner to pass a test but the learner is not prepared for everyday driving, the instructor trainer can prepare for the ORDIT and 'simply' pass a test.

I am aware of a Grade 6 who worked our area a few years ago and I would honestly rate some of the trainees better on some of the lessons, due to the overall business and training package presented in the car.

Let's face it mum and dad can get their kids through a test but they won't likely have the correct tools to work effectively to influence level 3 & 4 in GDE Matrix and may take longer to get tready for test.

Brian

#12 21-05-11 17:30:43

Sammypdi1
Website

Hi brian

You are spot on with thhe comment and i agree, one of the main reasons i was concerned was to pass part 2 you have to drive in a certain mannor i.e not like a learner and i have heard of other people failing and the examiner telling the pupil he was driving like a learner and to take training from someone who knows what there doing.

I am told to date my trainer has not had anyone fail to qualify as an instructor he has also done alot of rescue training and i have spoken to a lot of people that highly recomend him i guess i just dont agree the roundabout question above was an automatic fail and he said that it is, i think i need to accept he knows better than me and thats that.

one thing he told me about part 3 was he does not teach pst he teaches how to instruct so that no matter what fault the examiner puts in pdis should spot it. I have seen lots of fancy websites promsing the best training and top qualified instructors etc but there are usually 2 things missing on those sites the instructors grade and experience its not suprising the industry is in the state that its in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 21-05-11 20:10:22

Discovery
Website

one thing he told me about part 3 was he does not teach pst he teaches how to instruct so that no matter what fault the examiner puts in pdis should spot it. I have seen lots of fancy websites promsing the best training and top qualified instructors etc but there are usually 2 things missing on those sites the instructors grade and experience its not suprising the industry is in the state that its in.

Hi  Sammy,

I'm not an ADI Trainer so I can only tell you about my Part 3 training and test experience.  I had a very good trainer, unfortunately we are opposite ends of the country so pointless recommending him to you.  For my training we worked on all the PSTs and explored other training methods to suit all needs.  We also spent a great deal of time working on my core competancies.  Whilst I was still doing Part 2 I bought a Colourfile Professional and selotaped each PST opposite the relevant illustrated page, if the subject is covered on more than one page then I added another copy of the PST on the 2nd page and so on.  I also stuck post it stickers along the top with the PST details so I could immediately go to a particular one without fumbling through the book. 

On my Part 3 marking sheet (ADI 26) column A is set out exactly like my PST copies and the examiner has marked my performance on each line.  Column B covers marking for Core Competancies and Instructional techniques based on a 1-6 score for each line.

Had I not had the PSTs as a training aid and on the day as a prompt in my illustration book I would not have passed.  Even with the best will in the world trying to do Part 3 with no PST training, especially under test nerves, means you will most likely miss something.  The PSTs are also in the "Driving Instructor's Handbook".

Hope that helps.

ADI Grade 5, B+E Training, B.O.R.D.A and NPTC Off Road qualified instructor
www.drivinglessons-charlton.co.uk

#14 21-05-11 20:23:19

on board training

Hi,

The fact the Pt3 test is assessed using a PST it is crucial that you understand what all the PSTs are and the requirements for them including the accelerated learning.

I tihnk I know what you mean your trainer has said.

Too many companies focus only on PSTs from the word go when they should be explaining the Pt3 assessment process and the core comp and instructional topics and then the subject matter. Ideally you will have had a more positive emphasis on the Pt2 and Pt3 application of the core comps and level of instruction so you have an understanding yourself already.

Also a good idea is to apply your core comps to everyday things that you do, not just for driving instruction and also continue to build on your own driving and commentary driving that you have done for Pt2.

Brian

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 22-05-11 06:31:50

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

The fact the Pt3 test is assessed using a PST it is crucial that you understand what all the PSTs are and the requirements for them including the accelerated learning.

I tihnk I know what you mean your trainer has said.

Too many companies focus only on PSTs from the word go when they should be explaining the Pt3 assessment process and the core comp and instructional topics and then the subject matter. Ideally you will have had a more positive emphasis on the Pt2 and Pt3 application of the core comps and level of instruction so you have an understanding yourself already.

Also a good idea is to apply your core comps to everyday things that you do, not just for driving instruction and also continue to build on your own driving and commentary driving that you have done for Pt2.

Brian

I agree with that. Learning to understand how people learn should become a habit iwth us.

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

Board footer