You are not logged in.

#1 16-05-11 16:18:22

neilw

roundabouts where exit is blocked

Hello,
If a roundabout is busy or simply you can see the exit you want is blocked, is it best to stay at the entrance or go into the roundabout?

1. If you stay then you could be blocking cars behind you, especially if they want to go in a different direction to you
2. If you go, you could block cars trying to exit an earlier exit

I know once you are on the roundabout you have priority over cars at an entrance, but other cars on the roundabout from other entrances could still be blocked by me. I know what I'd do from common sense (enter the roundabout but try to leave gaps as best as possible until the traffic flows), but that's probably irrelevant when it comes to test day as without knowing, an examiner could fail me either way as far as my intuition tells me.

Additionally, I know cars on the roundabout have priority over cars at an entrance so technically you could go on the roundabout and block an entrance, but common sense tells me to leave a gap for other vehicles to come out, especially if they are going in a different direction to me. Is this correct?

Thanks for any replies on what should be done according to the highway code, as I can't find anything useful.

16-05-11 16:18:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: roundabouts where exit is blocked

#2 16-05-11 16:40:50

(ROG)
Verified Member

The deciding factor is safety and not convenience

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 16-05-11 16:42:54

neilw

ok, so there's no set rule, it's simply whichever is the best according to the road conditions.

I just hope if this situation occurs, my idea of best is the same as the examiners   wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 16-05-11 16:43:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

ok, so there's no set rule, it's simply whichever is the best according to the road conditions.

I just hope if this situation occurs, my idea of best is the same as the examiners   wink

If the decision is based on safety then it will be

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 17-05-11 08:03:34

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Additionally, I know cars on the roundabout have priority over cars at an entrance so technically you could go on the roundabout and block an entrance, but common sense tells me to leave a gap for other vehicles to come out, especially if they are going in a different direction to me. Is this correct?

Sounds like perfect reasoning to me! Enter if safe to do so joining the queue to your exit whilst doing your best to keep traffic flowing from other blocked entrances. If you pause near an entrance leave a car shaped gap in front of you to allow traffic to flow while you're stuck.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer