You are not logged in.

#1 09-12-09 16:37:46

nay7272

Hyundai I30 diesel

Hi everyone does anyone have an I30 as I am thinking of changing my car, If so do your pupils like it and what MPG do you get  big_smile

09-12-09 16:37:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hyundai I30 diesel

#2 10-12-09 21:06:22

kevg

Hi I personally found The I 30 a little bit on the big side for teaching, the blind spot at the rear makes reversing around the left corner more difficult. Also I felt the brakes were very sharp other wise it a great car.

#3 10-12-09 22:01:50

on board training

Hi,

Don't let the size put you off. Most students won't bother and some may even prefer a slightly bigger car. No different visibility wise than the Honda Civic (may even be better rear and side vision) and not bigger than the Golf, Toyota Auris or Peugeot 307/8

Think it has a lot going for it.

Brian

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 05-04-10 12:17:25

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

been thinking of the i30 for a while now, at present I have a Mazda 2, previousley I had a Mazda 3 and liked the room it had, now thinking of the Hyundai i30, looking to test drive one this week, does anyone have other ideas about them?

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/hy … lno4j40ni/

not bad price, just wonder what the catch is :evil:

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#5 21-07-10 18:37:00

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I'm currently looking at the i20 range  -  5 years, unlimited mileage warranty (even for Driving Instructors)

Even the base model is well equipped and seems to have plenty of storage space.

I drove the 1.2 petrol today and it drives like a dream.

Very tempted!!

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#6 21-07-10 18:39:41

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I have been told its NOT unlimited mileage, its 100,000.

must admit I like the space of the i30, but was also surprised how big the 120 actually is.

I'm still trying to make my mind up - Hyundai 130 V Mazda 3

Driver CPC Trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 21-07-10 18:50:55

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

must admit I like the space of the i30, but was also surprised how big the 120 actually is.

Definitely unlimited mileage for the general public and Driviving Instructors, 100k for Taxi drivers and other commercial useage.

I currently use a Mazda 2 diesel which is a really good car but one or two things have always bugged me!

Gears very notchy, difficult from 2nd to 3rd, reverse often grates and sometimes pops-out.

Air conditioning absolutely useless when the weather is hot, it actually blows warm air.

I've had it checked-out and they say it's normal.

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 21-07-10 19:00:02

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

EKAL wrote:

Definitely unlimited mileage for the general public and Driviving Instructors, 100k for Taxi drivers and other commercial useage.

I currently use a Mazda 2 diesel which is a really good car but one or two things have always bugged me!

Gears very notchy, difficult from 2nd to 3rd, reverse often grates and sometimes pops-out.

Air conditioning absolutely useless when the weather is hot, it actually blows warm air.

My air con is fine, works good enough on hot days

2nd to 3rd or any forward gear very smooth

Selection of reverse can be a pain though, sometimes pupils need to raise the clutch and try again, I've had it greased at least 6 times, going in for its 2year service tomorrow, so it will be greased again.

I have ben told by 2 garages now, that the i30 is only unlimited for Joe Public, ADI's are 100,000

Driver CPC Trainer

#9 21-07-10 19:21:41

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

collywobs wrote:
EKAL wrote:

Definitely unlimited mileage for the general public and Driving Instructors, 100k for Taxi drivers and other commercial useage.

My air con is fine, works good enough on hot days

2nd to 3rd or any forward gear very smooth

Selection of reverse can be a pain though, sometimes pupils need to raise the clutch and try again, I've had it greased at least 6 times, going in for its 2year service tomorrow, so it will be greased again.

I have Been told by 2 garages now, that the i30 is only unlimited for Joe Public, ADI's are 100,000

I've been in main dealer today and they told me unlimited mileage. I think it might be a recent initiative to attract Driving Instructors.

It was also announced at an MSA meeting last week which was held at the Hyundai dealership.

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#10 21-07-10 21:15:25

driver69

As far as the unlimited mileage I was told last October when looking at i20/i30 by the main dealer the unlimited mileage DOES apply to driving instructors. I check with the head salesman as well just to be sure.

#11 22-07-10 15:34:00

AlphaBob
Verified Member

I currently own a Hyundai i20 1.2 classic.  I was speaking to someone at the test centre yesterday, husband and wife team who both run Hyundai i30 diesels.  Both cars are very poor on mpg.  In region of 45mpg which for diesel is not good.  They wrote to Hyundai who replied to the effect that the better mpg was with the 6 speed gear box and there's is 5 speed.  So they are both looking to get something else. 

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#12 22-07-10 16:00:10

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I currently own a Hyundai i20 1.2 classic.  I was speaking to someone at the test centre yesterday, husband and wife team who both run Hyundai i30 diesels.  Both cars are very poor on mpg.  In region of 45mpg which for diesel is not good.  They wrote to Hyundai who replied to the effect that the better mpg was with the 6 speed gear box and there's is 5 speed.  So they are both looking to get something else.

How many MPG do you achieve with your i20 1.2 classic petrol?

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#13 22-07-10 17:41:08

kevg

Hi I run an I.20 diesel and have done 13,000 miles since April its going in on Monday for the first service. I find mine does on average 79 mpg on lessons i am happy with that.

#14 22-07-10 17:55:36

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Hi I run an I.20 diesel and have done 13,000 miles since April its going in on Monday for the first service. I find mine does on average 79 mpg on lessons i am happy with that.

That's excellent!

I'm currently getting about 52 MPG on average from my Mazda 2 1.4 TS Diesel

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#15 25-07-10 20:30:23

AlphaBob
Verified Member

Colin, As regards the i20 1.2 petrol I get about 40mpg which is not bad for petrol model. Since owning the car I find that it is very easy to stall.  Takes some time for the pupils to get clutch/gas balance right.  I think the car is well equipped for the price with good seat adjustment reach/height. 
I don't think I would get another one.  Had clutch replaced at 4000miles due to high pitched squeal at slow speed in reverse.  Now done 16000miles and squeal has returned. I am aware of other ADI's with same problem.  I don't think it affects the diesel model though.  Perhaps in hindsight I think the diesel model might of been the better option.

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#16 06-05-11 21:38:53

martin Williams
Verified Member

79 mpg No way. I have a  i.20 1.4 Style Diesel. On a run at a steady 40 to 50 mph with a very light foot i can get 68mpg maximum. When doing lessons my average is between 50mpg and 56mpg depending on the lesson content. Kevg you must have got it wrong or do all your lessons go down hill?

#17 07-05-11 05:25:58

kevg

When I got my i20 last March I got 79mpg until November  ( that's what the computer says ) then when the cold weather came it went down to 66mpg. However come April its back to 74 mpg with 45,000 miles on the clock. When I do a motorway lesson then its down to 57 over 100 miles.

#18 07-05-11 12:23:06

martin Williams
Verified Member

I think you or me must have a faulty computor kevg. How many miles do you do between fill ups?

#19 10-05-11 13:13:33

kevg

OK,

Filled up with diesel last night the computer says 540 miles in the tank. Only don'e 100 miles this morning so I won't fill up again untill tomorrow night or Thursday lunchtime.

#20 10-05-11 14:51:45

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Computer readings are not always reliable or accurate!

It also depends how the car is actually driven.

The only way to get an accurate result of miles per gallon (or litre) is to carry out a 'brim test'

Fill your tank to the brim, make sure that any air locks have escaped and the fuel has settled in the neck of the filler tube.

Zero your trip meter and continue to drive (various road & traffic conditions) for as long as possible without running the tank too low!

Then return to the same pump and refill the tank to the brim in the same manner as above.

Make a note of the elapsed miles and how much fuel it took to refill the tank.

Then divide the elapsed miles by the amount of fuel (convert litres to gallons if required)

Example;
My last test (Mazda 2 1.4 diesel)

27.97 ltrs to refill tank which converts to 6.15 gallons
337 miles on trip meter
337 miles divided by 6.15 gallons = 54.79 miles per gallon

Give it a try.

Colin

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#21 10-05-11 16:42:27

driver69

All those claiming 50+ mpg where do you drive, town, country or mix of both? I ask because best I can get is 44-46mpg with pupils but all city driving with only occasional country. Peugeot 308 BTW and my trip computer under estimates, reading 41.4-43.4mpg but after keeping track myself over a few weeks that's where I got the 44-46mpg from.

#22 13-05-11 18:03:08

kevg

OK,

Computer Wrong, the car did 489 miles, filled up with diesel £50.40 @ £1.439 p/l thats 35 liters or 7.69 gallons. My car computer said I was getting 72.9 mpg. I think it works out to be 63.5 mpg ?. Please tell me if iam wrong.

#23 13-05-11 20:05:02

Roadmaster
Verified Member

All those claiming 50+ mpg where do you drive, town, country or mix of both

I am getting  a steady 55 mpg (diesel) on lessons all of which are urban. 

I did a motorway trip of 170 miles last week and the computer showed 62 mpg

Board footer