You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-05-11 18:37:16

StuartA

Wanting to change career...

Hello,

My name is Stuart, I live in the Portsmouth area.

I currently work in IT and find it very boring and stressful with no thanks and no time to focus on any one thing as a time. I've thought about becoming a driving instructor in the past, and more recently been considering it more seriously.

I'm under no illusions what-so-ever that it's "easy money" or that it wont be hard work both qualifying and running a business as a driving instructor. I do not want to go into this career "to get rich quick" either. My personality is such that I am passionate about helping others achieve something positive, making people feel good and happy. (partly why i went into IT in the first place, but have since developed into a different position of programming/developing software). I enjoy driving, and I would love to be able to teach others to drive.

I currently have no major overheads, so a slow start to the career isn't a major issue for me, no mortgage etc.  I'm willing to put the effort in and work hard!! I know all the ads say £30k + a year and such, which i also know is unrealistic off the start line, as long as i can earn a comfortable living from it i'd be happy, comfortable for me would be £20k+ to be honest.

I have contacted RED driving school, as the franchise looked attractive, however something doesn't sit right for me with them and I'm not willing to part with my money without researching. I'm beginning to feel that perhaps training with a driving school like them, is not the best route. I am starting to think that I would be better off finding a local adi trainer and "paying as i go" to get the best results.

I do have one hang up, which was confirmed by RED as not being an issue, however they were too quick to want my money for me to be sure of anything that i was told, so I thought i would ask here as well. I am a type 1 diabetic, insulin dependant. I have a full UK driving license which is 100% clean, my license is restricted to 3 years which is re-newed every 3 years providing i meet the medical assessment requirements and my healthcare team are happy that i am OK to drive also. I've not had any issues having my license renewed in the past and i've held it for 8 years (i'm 27).

Are you allowed to be an ADI with type 1 diabetes?

Also, any other advise would be massively appreciated. It's all quite new and i'm uncertain of the best course of action.

Many Thanks

Stuart

11-05-11 18:37:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Wanting to change career...

#2 12-05-11 06:29:08

WillyO

Hi Stuart, You and everyone else. It seems that the ideal job to turn to when everyone needs a change is become a Driving Instructor. Do your homework first do not be suckered in by these so called Instructor Training companies who are only interested in one thing YOUR MONEY. Make sure there is enough work out there for you, Qualifying is one thing, making a living is another. Check out some of the threads on this Forum. It may save you a lot of money and misery. Willy.

A wise man does not need advice, But, only a fool won't take it.   Miam, DIAmond Advanced Test, DIAmond Special Test.

#3 12-05-11 06:55:23

StuartA

Hi Willy,

Thanks for your response. But please don't assume that i've just picked this career option out of a hat because of any ads out there, I'm well aware or the hard work involved, I lived with a fully qualified driving instructor for 5 years and looked after his home office equipment. Teaching people a life skill such as driving I've seen is very rewarding, it fits with my personality and have seen that it can be a very rewarding job, dispite it's pitfuls of unsociable hours and long days, im still willing to put in the hard work for those rewards. I try not to talk about money because it's not the reason i want to change, obviously i do need to earn some money to live, but im not after a life of £30k+ i just want to be happy and rewarded by what i do. I have an interested in driving and passing on my knowledge of the road and road saftey.

I will look more into the workload in my area, but how exactly can this be done with honesty? If i go to my local test centre and speak with the instructors there, are they not likely to just say there's not enough work to go around just to push more potential competition away? I'm not saying their dishonest, but if they have the right business head on at the time...... ?

#4 12-05-11 07:36:45

WillyO

Would your other half not give you the information you require if not ring around the Driving Schools in your area to see the availability of lessons if they cannot book you in straight away there is plenty of work if they can take you straight away,Well? Willy.

A wise man does not need advice, But, only a fool won't take it.   Miam, DIAmond Advanced Test, DIAmond Special Test.

#5 12-05-11 07:43:54

StuartA

It was my ex's dad who did the job. I have considered contacting him but just feel it may be a biased reply...

Thanks Willy, ill give that a go and see what I find smile

#6 12-05-11 14:53:17

DTDriver
Verified Member

Hi Stuart,
As an IT Professional, Software Developer and Driving Instructor i know working with computers can be boring at times. But as i have to tell you in my opinion, if you are employed please think carefully before choosing a careers as an ADI. As willyO says ' do some indepth research'. You could find yourself earning less than minimum wage after expenses, this is because i know many full-time ADIs which are at the moment!

#7 12-05-11 17:13:44

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I would be very careful about choosing this as a career for  the financial problems it brings to so many people as things are not getting better - far from it. I understand that practically all instructors' insurance premiums will be rising ( or have done ) by approx twice or three times as much ( just to add to the fun! ).

Instructors are dropping like flies round here.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

Board footer