You are not logged in.

#1 06-05-11 00:00:37

on board training

Fleet Check Test - Role Play and Straight 6s

Hi,

As title suggests, I had my Fleet Check Test today and as i haven't done lessons or Fleet for a few years opted for role play and was delighted to walk away with straight 6s.

Got good advice from James Dawson (earlier typo read lawson made at 1am this - refers to Hector or Nigel as he used to be known) and managed to build on the strong 5 which I got 4 1/2 years ago but this one was under new check test format for Fleet. I must admit I had put myself under a bit more pressure having got all 6s (bar role play 5) for Ordit in February this year and was told by James then that I should be a 6 for my ADI/Fleet, also felt I had to be a 6 due to my current role - so all pressure self induced!

Did intro using VARK Questionnaire and then powerpoint presentation followed by POWDERY (picking out oil and tyres for more detail) all using coaching and involvement of 'delegate'. Examiner controlled the lesson timings as expected and cut each section short due to time.

On the drive in town and country setting a plethery of faults ensued which I prioritised and dealt with, some more forceful than others.

A couple of brief stops to chat re faults and strengths and establishing how 'delegate' could take more responsibility for his drive and why it was important.

Got a good overtake in and block changes where appropriate were used and discussed, bearing in mind 6.2L VXR8 being used.

Aware the session was over-running slightly 'delegate' asks me questions on Motorway driving and I advise him I will note this for discussion at the end and I would like him to give me full attention for last few minutes (in reality I was aware the examiner was wanting to establish some of my knowledge re M/ways)

Immediately on parking near test centre, I ask him to repeat his motorway questions and we dealt with them accordingly.

I completed the rest of my debrief, involving 'delegate', explained how he could reflect on his experience before our next training session and the benefits of him deciding on his own topics for development.

I had asked 'delegate' at the start to rate himself as a driver out of ten, wth ten being high - he reckoned he was a 9. So at the end I asked him to think where he actually was and he reckoned he was really a 6 but improved to a 7 as a result of our session. I told him I had no intention of marking his risk as a grading out of ten as I reckoned he was spot on and asked him if he wanted to be a higher grading in his head and he said he wanted to be an 8 or a 9, so I asked him to think what he would need to do to improve to achieve his goal and build that into his reflection log for his next training session with me.

I was left in the car thinking how I had done and like most found it difficult to second guess how he would mark it so was delighted to learn I had got straight 6s.

I hope this is of some help to others.

Brian

06-05-11 00:00:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet Check Test - Role Play and Straight 6s

#2 06-05-11 06:45:35

VandADI
Administrator

Nice one Brian, fantastic result and write up!  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-05-11 07:46:10

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Fantastic result - well done!

#4 06-05-11 14:01:34

Luchell
Verified Member

Congrats on a great result!! You can sit back and enjoy for a little bit now then  smile smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 08-05-11 10:57:03

on board training

Congrats on a great result!! You can sit back and enjoy for a little bit now then  smile smile

Hi,

For those who know me, sit-back doesn't really come into it and the grass doesn't get the chance to grow under our feet, which in reality, I think is what helped me get what I have.

One of my instructors also highlighted that the main thing to help me was  a belief and passion for what I do and set out to achieve. - That I hadn't looked at myself, but on reflection, he is bang on with that one.

Already by Friday working on how to maximise this and develop myself further beyond what I have already achieved and I better now get some more final preparation done for the completion of the Btec Level 4 Coaching Course.

Brian

#6 08-05-11 11:42:47

on board training

Hi

I have had a few PMs re difference in check tests I have done and after a chat with Alan Agnew (EKAL)yesterday, I am aware I approached it slightly (but not massively) differently to how he did.

My first check test was  August 2002 - 6 months after I qualified and I took a full licence holder, was told by examiner at start I was likely to get an educational (if I knew then what I know now I would have got him to rearrange my check test as he had already decided grade before seeing me). I had already started doing Fleet work for 2 companies by that time, so for me a higher grade I felt was important.

At the end of my check test I remember clearly the examiner telling me that learning took place at a far higher level than he was used to seeing and I had really targeted the thinking skills and attitude of the driver very well but he had to mark me on the practical driving for core comps not the thinking and was delighted to give me a 4. (I now also know what I did that day was similar coaching skills that I used to get my 6s for ORDIT and Fleet/ADI but the examiner may not have been used to seeing it or marking it accordingly)

I had a serious accident in September 2005 and my next check test was November 2006 - I hadn't worked for the 14 months since my accident and I actually went for my check test with a broken leg that wasn't in a cast (didn't know at the time it was still broken but it was obviously sore - hospital told me it was fine but I later learned in May 2007 when it collapsed that it had never healed properly). My wife asked me why I was going for my check test when I hadn't been out training drivers and still wasn't totally fit. My reason was simply due to the fact we had a Grade 6 instructor with us (no longer with us due to standards) who was advising some of our ADIs to delay their check tests and had delayed his own. I felt if I could go and get a reasonable Grade when I was not totally fit and not working, then this may set a good example to other instructors who are working and doing what they should be.

This first Fleet check test was before the new guidelines came in for examiners and there were some differences from examiner to examiner – the one I had, told me the week before the type of driver he was and he chose the topic as ‘having a problem with cornering and judging his speed on country roads’ – It was right up my street anyway and I got 5, 6, 5 for the core comps and an even mix of 5 & 6s at the time – I was delighted with the result due to my mental fatigue and physical situation at the time.

The Fleet check test I had last week, I basically decided due to time constraints rather than watch his drive for 10 minutes or so to assess it, I told him that his company had put us both under a bit of pressure to get results in only an hour and we didn’t have much time due to the first 20-25 minutes being taken up with introduction and presentation and vehicle checks. – So I basically treated it as artificial as it was an nailed him for all the faults within first couple of minutes and dealt with them in a more severe way compared to how you may do with a real fleet client but still kept it light and friendly and good Q&A coaching - just a bit firmer with him. – He did appreciate why I was doing it and responded accordingly.

I still do have physical pain and concentration issues as a result of my accident in 2005, but I hope this helps a bit more.

Brian

#7 08-05-11 13:56:45

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

nice one Brian, was good to chat yesterday and see the difference in styles and test layout, food for thought for others, and the fact it was the same examiner who marked us, shows the DSA can be flexible smile

P.S - I got a supercalafragalisticepialadoshus 5

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#8 08-05-11 23:54:30

looprevil
Verified Member

Congrats on your success Brian.

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#9 12-09-11 23:01:26

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Many congratulations.

I just had my first check test (which was a fleet check test) on the 24th August 2011 (I passed part 3 Nov 2009 and got my green in Jan 2010)

I also opted for role play and obtained a 5 (5,6,5 on core comps) so was happy with that. It was enjoyable but the tough thing is just having such little time to nail everything. When I do fleet training I am out for 1/2 day with each client not an hour!

Well done on the straight 6's. You must be very pleased and am sure its well deserved:)

Best wishes

James

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Board footer