You are not logged in.

#1 03-04-11 11:10:14

HAM1

road markings/ direction signs

Im finding it difficult to see road markings for lane positions at traffic lights etc, because there are no big sign boards before hand and the markings on road are worn out or cars over them, whats the best way to get in correct lane at traffic lights, juntions etc.

Are you ment to be able to see direction sign boards when they first appear, as I can only read them when I am close to lanes by which point it is difficult for me to switch lanes.

My ADI tells me that I will fail if I am in incorrect lane. I.e. if I am told to go straight and there are two lanes for straight, left, and middle I should be in left lane otherwise I would fail, is this true.

03-04-11 11:10:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: road markings/ direction signs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-04-11 13:07:06

driverpete
Verified Member

if I am told to go straight and there are two lanes for straight, left, and middle I should be in left lane otherwise I would fail, is this true.

You can use whichever lane you like (for example if there's a long queue in the left lane but the middle is empty) but left is safer. By using the middle lane you are creating work for yourself later if you have to move back to the left lane.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#3 26-04-11 00:13:44

ACJ
Verified Member
Website

The middle lane in the scenario you said should only be used if you are overtaking or planning to turn right.  Therefore your instructor is correct if the left hand lane was empty, not blocked by a slow moving vehicle/roadworks/another hazard or not very busy then you should be in the left lane.  Only use the right hand lane for overtaking when you feel that you will be able to progress faster than those already in the left lane.  (Look out for temporary signs or traffic controllers who may be telling you to do something different from this too though).

#4 26-04-11 06:53:16

(ROG)
Verified Member

If you are approaching a junction where all the markings are covered and you get the wrong lane then go where that lane takes you

On test you will find that the examiner will inform you of which lane to get in if all markings are obscured as you do not have Xray vision

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#5 27-04-11 10:12:18

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

If both lanes are marked up for straight ahead, YOU WILL NOT FAIL for using the middle lane, if it is marked up for the direction you are going, but you could make life more difficult for yourself.  It could depend on whether the traffic lights are Red or Green as to which lane you choose.  Just because there are L plates on the car does not mean you will be or shoal be slow away from the lights, but what you do want to avoid is having people overtake on your lefthand side unnecessarily and unsafely, so if you think you will be steady away, you would be better on the lefthand lane rather than the centre. 

As mentioned above, if you find after choosing your lane that it does not go where you were directed by the examiner, do not worry.  Just comply with the lane markings for the lane you chose.  You will not fail your driving test fOr taking a wrong turn or taking a different exit at a roundabout etc, as long as your MSPSL routine is correct for the direction you are going.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

Board footer