You are not logged in.

#1 19-05-05 18:18:43

luchell

any tips for starting on a pink monday please?

Hi everyone. im starting on a pink on monday are there any hints or tips anyone could give me? such as how to make sure you get to new pupils in time and dont get lost! (im a bit worried about that) should i drive around in the evening to find where they are?

i know the area pretty well so hopefully it wont take me long to get in the swing of where all the manouvres are done as i knew those areas very well a few years ago and not much has changed. any experiences youve had and how you dealt with it when you were a newbie would be appreciated. thanks for everything. hayley

19-05-05 18:18:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: any tips for starting on a pink monday please?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-05-05 18:48:05

sparkle

Make sure your car is clean & smells nice  big_smile

Remember one thing>> You know a hell of a lot more than they do big_smile ... Be yourself...talk like you would to your mates..dont put on a different voice>it wont feel natural.

Whatever you do-knock on the door for every first lesson..its a bit more personal than a toot wink Introduce yourself and lead them to the den wink  Have all the appointment cards ready..

Go through payment/times they are available for lessons/have they done the theory yet? etc etc... Ask to see thier licence BOTH parts.

Do an eye sight check before they start driving..

Find out ALL you can about previous experience if any... what ever you do ....DO NOT let them drive off !!!!!!! YOU drive them to a nursery area..and take it from there..

You will be fine !! promise.

#3 19-05-05 19:24:59

luchell

thanks sparkle. i spent most of today cleaning it buying carpet mats and an ambi pure airfreshener. its all gleaming at the moment lol

#4 19-05-05 19:34:28

mags
Verified Member

Good luck for monday luchell, hope to be in the same boat very soon.
youll be fine
Mags big_smile

#5 19-05-05 20:37:23

Mmm

good luck!

#6 19-05-05 20:51:36

maybeoneday

Good luck for monday luchell wink

I'm sure you'l be fine.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 19-05-05 20:55:33

Django

luchell wrote:

Hi everyone. im starting on a pink on monday are there any hints or tips anyone could give me?

Yeah don't do it. Go get a proper job like............say .................nursing.

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

#8 19-05-05 21:19:02

Crane
Verified Member
Website

Good luck!  big_smile

Let us know how you get on.  I'm sure you'll like it.

I'm sure you can do it,too!

#9 20-05-05 08:46:03

rachdrive
Website

Hi Lurchell,

One of your worries was getting lost? Buy an A-Z for when finding out where they live.

Once out on the road with them, Don't worry about getting a bit lost, It's quite funny really and a bit of an ice breaker!!

As has been said YOU know more about what you are doing than them.

Sparkle..........Hope you never toot!!! wink

Rach  8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#10 20-05-05 09:08:42

VandADI
Administrator

Never trust a learner  lol
No matter how much they brag about they done this that and the other, Q&A them and find out if they REALLY have, or is it just all a figment of their imagination  lol

#11 20-05-05 13:51:14

luchell

yes from what i hear the little darlings hace a bit of a habit telling you how wonderful their clutch control is you ask them to show you and wehey we've stalled :shock:
django. what a thought hmmmm nursing, im not sure that appeals to me really. i think im a bit mean for that sort of career lol
ive bought an aa local map, two redbooks of andover and salisbury. they dont do a salisbury a to z so im hoping the aa book will give me enough, i am a bit worried about getting a bit lost whilst we're off driving. im sure all these nerves and worries will prove to be no where near so bad next week. at the mo diary is quite empty for next week. got a couple but hopefully more will book. after that its getting there. lol

#12 20-05-05 14:36:27

Harmony

Good luck for Monday, not that you will need it  lol

I look forward to reading your DILO next week.......

D ay
I n the
L ife
O f

big_smile

#13 20-05-05 22:50:02

Airmiles

Have you advised your customers you are a PDI, and explained what they can expect ?

Make sure they are wearing proper footwear suitable for driving. Bare feet is legal but most unwise due to safety shortcomings.

Are they wearing loose fitting clothes and not thick artic woolies which can be restrictive to arm and leg movement.

Explain to them why not to wear baseball caps.

Have you got a spare key in case the original breaks or falls down a drain?

An umbrella to keep the rain off them when you walk with them to the car?

Their own sunglasses, or your spare set, or/and clip-ons for those wearing spectacles.

Sun-visor extention for very short people.

A variety of cushions for use by short people.

If car is on left side of the road facing direction of travel, explain why driver and off side pax should always walk around the front to get in.

A proper spare wheel so you can change it quickly and still complete the lesson? Space saver no good for lessons.

Tool kit with electric screwdriver and spare light bulbs so you can fit one if necessary, so as to complete lesson.

Yellow day-glo jackets to wear in event of emergency or need to carry out repairs in hazardous conditions.

Emptyish fuel tank so pupil can drive to garage and put fuel into the tank. Good experience on first lesson as they learn how expensive it is, especially when you send them in to pay for it, (make sure they get a receipt for you), you stay with the car.

Make sure their driveway or parking bay is vacant for the return so they can reverse into it, and tell them that is what they will do every lesson, as it is the professional way to finish a drive.

And teach them how to extract the ignition key and apply the steering lock. And how to release the lock as next time and every time they will have to do so at the start of every lesson, due to you having removed key and locked steering.

Obtain their permission for you to reverse into their driveway or parking bay, every time you collect them for lessons, they will be driving off from there, as it is only unsafe drivers who reverse out of driveways, and you are going to teach them how to be a safe driver.

Have fun smile

#14 22-05-05 07:12:56

Falstaff1485

Wow! Airmiles, what a wonderful lot of advice!! I have saved it and will use it on the day I start.

Could you explain to me why they shouldn't wear baseball caps please? (Apart from the fact that ANYONE who drives in a cap is automatically regarded as a prat)

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW LUCHELL!!!

Falstaff

#15 22-05-05 13:44:46

Delta
Verified Member

Come on Airmiles, stop mucking around.

You'll have Luchell running around Halfords all Sunday like some kind of Challenge Anneka on speed!  wink

I was so nervous before my first day on a pink license (7 weeks ago now) - the one thing I did do was made sure I knew exactly how to get to pup's house and then from house to nursery area and back again.

I never did mention the colour of my badge though - no-one's asked so far either! Maybe that's wrong of me but I was nervous enough in those first few days without having to explain my qualification (or lack of????)

#16 22-05-05 15:52:07

Airmiles

Falstaff,

Drivers who wear baseball caps are reluctant to check their blind spot, as the peak hits the door window, so they don't make effective check. So safety is impaired. Statistics show that baseball-cappers have a greater chance of failing test for reason explained.

Delta,

I never muck around.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 22-05-05 16:13:58

sparkle

Airmiles wrote:

Falstaff,

Drivers who wear baseball caps are reluctant to check their blind spot, as the peak hits the door window, so they don't make effective check. So safety is impaired. Statistics show that baseball-cappers have a greater chance of failing test for reason explained.

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Love the comedy Airmiles brings to the forum

I teach in Chav-ville wink .. nearly alomst every one of my male pupils wear a cap- has worn a cap-wore a cap on test... ohhh guess what..they pass... erm.. prob coz they are good drivers.

I wear caps.. lots of ADI's here wear caps..

Chavs r us.

C'mon Airmiles give me another laugh :arrow:

#18 22-05-05 16:38:04

luchell

been out today and done just that delta. made sure i can find all ive got booked in and gone round numerous areas i know to choose nearby suitable routes. never used an umbrella in my life cant on with the blooming things. lol

#19 22-05-05 18:43:33

Delta
Verified Member

Goodstuff Luchell - Good luck tomorrow!

Hey Airmiles:

Sun-visor extention for very short people.

Wouldn't need it if they had a baseball cap on  lol

#20 22-05-05 19:37:28

Airmiles

Delta,

And then they would have to drive with door window down so as to stick their heads out to check blind spot. Passing car's wheels throw up loose chippings into the eyes and pretty face of your learner, who is then blinded and disfigured for the rest of their life. Sues you for poor instruction about safety precautions.

What career would you try afterwards ? Examiner ?

Think I am joking? It's going to happen some day........

#21 22-05-05 19:43:42

sparkle

Airmiles wrote:

Delta,

And then they would have to drive with door window down so as to stick their heads out to check blind spot. Passing car's wheels throw up loose chippings into the eyes and pretty face of your learner, who is then blinded and disfigured for the rest of their life. Sues you for poor instruction about safety precautions.

What career would you try afterwards ? Examiner ?

Think I am joking? It's going to happen some day........

Alot of things are 'going to happen some day' according to you Airmiles..

For the now> cap wearing pupils are of no bother to me or examiners.

People have been wearing caps for donkeys years.

yet to see ' Teen driver killed by baseball cap'  lol

#22 22-05-05 19:53:28

jimbo

luchell, i would simply get out there and get one or two under your belt.  Excellent advice not to trust them, and to remember you are the expert but listen to what they have to say; don't be affraid to ask them how they feel about things.
    ....and most of all have fun with it...if you enjoy the lesson so will the pupil........and they will recommend you  lol

#23 22-05-05 20:03:47

luchell

im hoping so. im going to loadsa trouble planning their routes and lessons and have a good system in place for recording what we did and will do next lesson. so ill let you know how it goes. thanks everyone for your help lol

#24 22-05-05 20:20:29

jimbo

Initially you will plan lessons and probably areas rather than routes - as you gain experience you will probably be more flexible and react to things as they happen.
  I now get the pupil in and settled, establish where we are at by reference to their record (or asking them if a new pupil), tell them what we are going to do next with a quick recap of last lesson if appropriate and away we go to an area which will be good for what we are to do....

#25 22-05-05 20:23:23

luchell

yeah ive not planned a route as such just a general go round the estate kinda thing. not rigid because i dont know it that well. so more a case of thats the area im going to base that lesson in if you see what i mean

Board footer