You are not logged in.

#1 14-04-11 10:27:42

Walter
Verified Member

Fleet badge - worth it?

I passed an accredited fleet course last October, but have not yet applied for the badge, mainly because, having researched the likelihood of getting regular work, I just can't see it as a worthwhile investment. One of my friends did take on some fleet work via agency for a year or so, but he became disillusioned because of the amount of travelling he had to do each day to start the work, and the subsequent amount of time each evening spent on filling out the reports. He eventually took two fleet check tests, attaining a Grade 2 on each one, finally handing over his ADI badge and jacking it all in  yikes When I took the course, I was given the impression that the fleet check test is easier than the ADI one?

I am very aware that I may be sounding negative about fleet, and I would be grateful if any of you more knowledgable people could give me some advice as to whether I could get some work, ideally local to where I live(!)..........I understand that another way to get work is to approach a suitable company and provide a presentation which convinces them to commit to the training/assessment, but I haven't a clue how to start this process, and am less than confident about my ability to successfully persuade anyone that I am a suitable candidate to provide this service   tongue
In these current hard times for all of us, would I do better to stick at the ADI work, or am I ignoring a great opportunity?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks     wink

Catch yer later alligator!

14-04-11 10:27:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fleet badge - worth it?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-04-11 11:11:14

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I was reading the last parts of your comments and if you have these thoughts you can not be succesful, if you are not confident about securing work how could a company be confident in your ability. You say I just can't see it being a worhtwhile investment.
You have put so many barriers and negative thoughts in this statement.
How about the Fleet register offers me another opportunity to increase my experience and knowledge that would improve my ability as an ADI. If I spend some time talking to people about my new qualification I might generate some interest in my ability to help qualified drivers improve their driving experience as I am a qualified fleet trainer.
How many training companies have you contacted looking for work, how many road safety officers at county councils have you spoken too, how many companies could you approach through your network of friends and family.

Walter it is upto you, you can give up or you can fight on. Quitters never succeed. I was once in your position I persevered just this week I secured three days work for £1100 with a funeral company. Don.t give up but you can still get fleet work with out being on the register it is not mandatory. Your decision

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#3 17-04-11 01:08:31

Walter
Verified Member

Point taken Graham  big_smile

Hence the reason why I have posted - to get some advice from those in the know and get positive about it................

When you say about approaching training companies, I assume you mean fleet training companies?

Catch yer later alligator!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 17-04-11 16:12:43

ratty

1   I passed an accredited fleet course last October, but have not yet applied for the badge, mainly because, having researched the likelihood of getting regular work, I just can't see it as a worthwhile investment.

2   One of my friends did take on some fleet work via agency for a year or so, but he became disillusioned because of the amount of travelling he had to do each day to start the work, and the subsequent amount of time each evening spent on filling out the reports. He eventually took two fleet check tests, attaining a Grade 2 on each one, finally handing over his ADI badge and jacking it all in  yikes When I took the course, I was given the impression that the fleet check test is easier than the ADI one?

I am very aware that I may be sounding negative about fleet, and I would be grateful if any of you more knowledgable people could give me some advice as to whether I could get some work, ideally local to where I live(!)..........I understand that another way to get work is to approach a suitable company and provide a presentation which convinces them to commit to the training/assessment, but I haven't a clue how to start this process, and am less than confident about my ability to successfully persuade anyone that I am a suitable candidate to provide this service   tongue
In these current hard times for all of us, would I do better to stick at the ADI work, or am I ignoring a great opportunity?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks     wink

Re 1 above. Which accredited course did you take and how much fleet work have you done? If you are not doing it it is possibly not worth the extra cost. Did you look into doing fleet work before you took the course?

Re 2 above. If your friend got a 2 it would appear that he did not know much about what he was doing! The fleet CT is easy if you know what you are doing, no doubt the same as L CT is.

I make a good living out of fleet work but reading your post you sound, dare I saw, a bit naive about what is involved in fleet work.

#5 17-04-11 20:20:15

Carlo
Verified Member

There are loads of ways to channel your fleet training skills.  Just like anything, you need to do your homework first.

Must admit, I wanted the fleet badge to gain experience training FLH, however after qualifying and doing some research it has opened my eyes to it's potential.

It's another product for you to sell.  I know it is not mandatory to have a fleet badge to do fleet training but the fact you have work hard and completed the course makes it worth registering in my opinion  smile.

Good luck with your decision.

"It's easy when you know how!"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 17-04-11 20:39:51

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I make a good living out of fleet work but reading your post you sound, dare I saw, a bit naive about what is involved in fleet work.

2 things here.
1, enlighten us
2, is this a product of how these courses are sold and possible their content?

#7 18-04-11 20:31:13

ratty

1 The OP appears to be saying that he did his research after taking the course. I would have thought that it is a better idea to do the research prior to spending money on a course if for no other reason than to establish if all courses are the same and carry the same weight in the industry which they do not appear to do. In my experience fleet work is rarely near to home. You have to be prepared to travel to the customer and the customer is ofter some distance away. Fleet work is not much of an option if you just want easy to do and close to home working. There is more to getting work than choosing a suitable company and giving a presentation to convince them to give you their money. You have to sell yourself as well as the product. Rightly or wrongly lots of fleet trainers find an emergency services background and experience very advantageous. In my experience quite a few ADIs jump on the fleet bandwagon in the hope of making easy money. They have not put much thought into fleet training prior to taking the course and don't have much idea about what they are actually going to do with their new qualification and when you talk to some of these trainers it shows.

2 When you say these courses, do you mean the fleet accreditation course or the course a fleet ADI sells to the potential customer?

#8 18-04-11 20:50:37

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Hi Ratty, I was referring to the Fleet course itself rather than what is sold on for the benefits of fleet drivers.
Seems like anybody will sell a course as long as there is a take up and money in the coffers!

#9 18-04-11 21:01:45

ratty

I think you have just summed it up well.

I have to say that I am slightly anti companies which make a business out of training ADIs. I think lots of companies are making a living out of selling training courses because they can not make a living out of actually doing the job themselves. Lots of companies have jumped on the fleet band wagon selling ADI fleet courses to people who they must know are going to struggle to make the money to pay off the course let alone make a living wage out of it, the same as people sell ADI courses to people in the same situation. I know that a lot of people will disagree with this but, this is my view.

#10 19-04-11 08:01:25

neil8181
Verified Member

Why don't you two get your facts right. Very amusing reading your comments.

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

From a VERY GOOD DSA Accreditted company

Approved Driving Instructor
DSA Grade 6 Fleet Registered
A1 Assessor
NVQ Level 3 in Driving Instruction
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#11 19-04-11 10:38:55

ratty

I was not aware that I had stated any facts, but if you want some.

Fact  I don't know which course he took.

Fact  I don't know any company which offers free courses, enlighten me.

#12 19-04-11 14:03:52

neil8181
Verified Member

The fact is that you were making judgement on his ability to research before financially committing himself. There has been NO financial commitment from him other than his time.
Thanks

A1 Assessor
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#13 19-04-11 15:17:56

ratty

I was commenting on what he said, which according to my understanding of how a forum works, he was inviting me to do so.

So, as I said, enlighten me. Who provides free fleet ADI accredited courses.

#14 19-04-11 18:58:11

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

Where does the OP state this?

#15 19-04-11 20:15:52

ratty

Maybe Mr Bean had got his facts wrong when he said this?

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

#16 19-04-11 20:17:37

ratty

Or of course he may just run a 'VERY GOOD DSA Accreditted company' ?

#17 19-04-11 20:54:49

neil8181
Verified Member

neil8181 wrote:

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

Or of course he may just run a 'VERY GOOD DSA Accreditted company' ?

Laughable tongue There's some very switched on companies out there managing to source support from from the government to develop ADI's. People get rather bitter when these things are screamed out from the roof tops. tongue

The OP was looking for experiences of people who are qualified, not negative opinions on his research.   roll

A1 Assessor
Ambassador for BRAKE
ROSPA Gold

#18 19-04-11 23:25:42

hector
Verified Member
Website

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

Hi Neil which company then ?
James

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#19 20-04-11 05:41:28

ratty

The OP was looking for experiences of people who are qualified, not negative opinions on his research.   roll

I'm curious if the OP can speak for himself here rather than you answering for him.

If these so called switched on companies want to keep this quite, why did you bring it up and how do you know where the OP did his training?

#20 20-04-11 17:23:10

ratty

ratty wrote:

neil8181 wrote:

IT WAS A FREE COURSE!

Laughable tongue There's some very switched on companies out there managing to source support from from the government to develop ADI's. People get rather bitter when these things are screamed out from the roof tops. tongue

So would it be correct to say that the OP did not pay directly for the courses, it was subsidised totally by the government? ie the government paid the VERY GOOD DSA Accreditted for doing the course?

Can you please correct me if I have got this wrong.

#21 20-04-11 17:26:46

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

Sorry to hijack but...
I don't know Walter, although I do know Neil and have first hand experience of what he is talking about.

The company concered runs a DSA accredited fleet course but has many more important claims to fame - not least a recent grade one (highest grade) in an Ofsted inspection. Not crappy Ordit, but Ofsted.

They are currently going through some kind of merger/transition with another organisation which is one reason I am not at liberty to discuss things on here.

One thing is for sure,
here is not the place I would promote such forward thinking, FULLY FUNDED, super-high quality courses given the history of negativity towards other ideas on here.

Give Neil a break - he is currently benefitting massively from this company, the funding and the quality of the courses he has done and is doing.

Cue the negativity.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#22 20-04-11 17:29:07

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I have to admit this is news to me.

I'm sure it would be of interest to a lot of people within the profession that the government are subsidising some of these courses.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this one - are the organisations aware of it? I've never heard the ADINJC ( of which I| am a member )mention it.

Note - accredited doesn't mean funded.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#23 20-04-11 17:50:21

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

I'm sure it would be of interest to a lot of people within the profession that the government are subsidising some of these courses.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this one - are the organisations aware of it? I've never heard the ADINJC ( of which I| am a member )mention it.

Hilary.

Hello,
My name is Joe Bloggs.

I have a really good idea that could end up earning me some money.

However, rather than doing that, I'll share my idea with the MSA, the DIA, the ADINJC and M100 UFC.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on Hilary, would you share it with the world???

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#24 20-04-11 17:56:05

daz6215
Verified Member

Just a note to the OP, most fleet companies will want you to be a grade 5 or 6, register with as many as possible although a few will expect you to jump through hoops to work on their behalf. In my opinion you should expect to do some travelling at times although not always! Be of smart appearance and maintain professional integrity whilst working, this promotes yourself and the organisation you work for. I do quite a bit of fleet work and the delegates can be anything from a van driver to an MD to an LGV driver, so be prepared to be able to communicate effectively at different levels. Hope this helps somewhat!

#25 20-04-11 18:25:12

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Hilary Hughes wrote:

Hilary.

Hello,
My name is Joe Bloggs.

I have a really good idea that could end up earning me some money.

However, rather than doing that, I'll share my idea with the MSA, the DIA, the ADINJC and M100 UFC.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on Hilary, would you share it with the world???

Full marks for business acumen if it really is that good.

I'm interested to now if it's government funded. Is it and does that mean it is free to all adi's?

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

Board footer