You are not logged in.

#1 16-03-11 16:44:50

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Check Test Experience

Afternoon all

Just completed my check test this afternoon and thought I'd share the experience so there is a recent story for others to read. Firstly, a bit of background.......... This was my first check test despite having qualified in November 2008. I only instruct part-time and so don't have a great deal of students to choose from, and on receiving my appointment letter, most of my students were booked for test before my appointment. Therefore, I opted for roleplay. My test was booked for 14:00 and I chose MSM and Pedestrian Crossings as my subject from the list supplied. (It's worth noting at this point for those that don't know that if you choose roleplay then you have to select from a list of given topics. If you take your own student then you can select any topic you like)

I arrived 15 minutes early as advised and sat down in the waiting area. Started to feel like I was doing my driving test all over again!! The SE came in and introduced himself and then asked me to follow him to the briefing room. He asked me if this was my first CT, and when I said yes he explained that as I had been teaching for more than a year then this would be treated as a normal CT and not an educational CT as your first one should be. He confirmed with me that this would be a roleplay CT and went on to say that he would give me a short background of the student he would play in the car. He finished by telling me he'd like to be back in the car park about 15:00 (1 hour later) and explained what would happen at the end.

He asked me to lead out to the car and we both took our seats (him on the drivers side of course!). He then said I should call him Mike and gave me the student profile- Somebody who'd had around 20 hours of lessons, but his instructor had moved out the area. He had contacted me because I had the same car as his previous instructor. Then we went into role.

I introduced myself and did a very brief Q/A with regards to his previous 20 hours to identify what he'd previously covered, specifically, MSM or now MSPSL, car control, steering, junctions, roundabouts etc. I then told him the subject for the lesson and the plan and what the objectives were. I finished with a reminder that he should follow the road ahead guided by road signs/markings and if I want him to do anything different I'll tell him in good time.

Off we went, I started out with a short drive around a quiet residential area to identify any weaknesses in the MSPSL routine. Of course, each CT will be different, but for mine the SE wasted no time in getting those mistakes in!!!! I had to prompt straight away for mirrors and some signals, and we had a bad position turning right at a junction. We stopped after around 6-7 mins and and discussed the small errors he'd made and how to fix them.

Happy to move on, we went out onto a route I'd planned previously to encounter lots of pedestrian crossings. Again, the SE was happy to play up at every opportunity!! Things to watch out for on this topic are slowing down too much when the crossing is clear or speeding up to get through a crossing quickly. Slowing down and getting ready to stop when someone is waiting at a crossing when the light is green. He even tried to stop when someone was stood on a normal traffic island saying "oh isn't this a crossing?" Another common error is looking in the wrong place. At roundabouts for example, I had to prompt him to look back to the left rather than staring to the right. Overall, I was getting worried as he seemed to be trying to do lots of things wrong!! When we corrected one thing, he'd do something else, or go back to something! I dealt with most things on the move as this is a "driving" subject and nothing serious was committed.

We parked back up at the test centre and switched off. For anyone else doing there first CT, dont forget that they are still in role!! Don't forget to do a de-brief with the "student". I asked him how he thought the lesson went and I re-capped what we said the objectives were, and discussed which ones I thought we met, and which ones may need more work. And that's where it finished. He asked me to wait in the car while he went inside to write the report which took about 5 minutes.

He came back out and gave me the feedback he'd written down before telling me the grade. I had achieved a Grade 5 which I was very pleased with.

From this, my advice to someone having never done a CT before is to focus on the 3 core competencies! This is what they're looking at, just like the Part 3- FAULT IDENTIFICATION, FAULT ANALYSIS, REMEDIAL ACTION.
Just think back to your part 3...... dont just tell them theyve done it wrong, make sure you explain why it is wrong and what they need to do to fix it. And if possible, try and anticipate the fault and give some positive promts before hand.

I would also say that you really need to listen to the SE both at the start when giving you the profile, but also listen to him/her as the student! For example, I was explaining something about puffin/pelican/toucan crossings and was going on a bit. The SE said to me, "Oh yeah, cyclists can use Toucan crossings" and "Yeah I know about that" indicating that I was taking a bit too much time explaining!

Bit of specific advice for this subject. One thing I didn't do was explain to the student, or ask them what type of crossing each one was as we passed through them. And the feedback was that as we were going through a puffin crossing, I could've just give a bit of info about the sensors that cover the crossing. I only did it on one pelican crossing as it was the only crossing where we actually saw a flashing amber!!

If I were to do it again, I would take a student of my own. Doing roleplay was a little too unpredictable, and the SE can really test you!! I was right in thinking that if you follow the core competencies then they will respond to you, but then they go on to other mistakes..... it was never ending and hard work! At least taking your own student, you will know what they can and can't do, and will be aware of the kinds of things they normally do wrong.

In the end though I am extremely happy with a Grade 5, and even happier with the fact that I don't have another for 4 years now!

Hope this helps someone else!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

16-03-11 16:44:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check Test Experience

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-03-11 14:07:20

Carlo
Verified Member

Congrats, Great Result!  smile

"It's easy when you know how!"

#3 17-03-11 15:11:28

colin166
Verified Member

Very well done Mrbrightside and a nice write up.

#4 31-03-11 12:02:06

skip qualify
Verified Member

good write up
thx

#5 31-03-11 12:09:06

VandADI
Administrator

Agree with all of the above, great write up and great result.  Well done!

#6 31-03-11 12:32:08

mon
Verified Member
Website

Nice right up.will take all of the advice on board.Well done on your result.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#7 31-03-11 12:37:15

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Very helpful, and well done!

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#8 31-03-11 13:04:11

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Good write up. Thank you.

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#9 04-04-11 15:37:32

Vhasler

Thanks for the write up got my letter this morning for the end of may for my first check test.  Am doing the role play option but thinking along the lines of the remedial dl25. Fate can decide my subject then and then whatever the subject will then Be the deciding factor on where we go. Obviously I will have to have an idea on the various places relating to each fault where we can go but as you seem to put across it's very demanding. I would hate to have my first check test with me sitting there saying nothing because of nerves so at least that way I won't be stuck for words!!! Did u remember ur route ok I think I would probably end up going wrong somewhere due to nerves if I over planned. Thanks again x

5/7/08 passed adi part 1 - 100/60 (1st attempt)
3/11/08 passed adi part 2 - 2 minors (1st attempt)
15/10/09 passed adi part 3 - 4/4 (first attempt)

#10 04-04-11 17:07:36

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I chose MSM and pedestrian crossings partly because there is a nice circuit that takes in a lot of ped crossings so was easy to remember. I didn't want to do the DL25 as I am a person who needs to plan in advance, I couldn't bear going into the check test not knowing what topic I was doing.

Try not to get too nervous, try and see it as an opportunity to develop yourself. Roleplay was quite demanding, and there were times when I felt things weren't going very well at all..... but in actual fact, the SE was impressed with me overall. So no matter how you think it is going, just stay on message! (unless something serious that is off topic crops up).

There is another recent write up from someone who did the DL25 subject I think.

#11 04-04-11 18:01:45

Vhasler

Thanku will take that advice on board x

#12 04-04-11 21:52:06

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Good luck by the way!

#13 05-04-11 16:27:20

Vhasler

Thanku x

Board footer