You are not logged in.

#1 14-03-11 20:01:25

nikkikid
Website

check test in 10 days and starting to panic help !!!

hi all i have my check test in 10 days. i only have 2 pupils and only 1 is avalable on the day so choice made. she has her test 3 days later but does have a problem with antisapation when pulling out of juctions so is it ok to use this as my lesson???? the only problem i have is the test centre is not where i teach i have been their to go round a few routes but i am strugleling to learn the roads with out getting lost which i dont want to do on the day. so i was wondering would it be ok to have some directions written down to use for the lesson ????? i would be greatful for any advice  :?  :?

Adi, nikki's ignitions learn to drive in kidderminster, stourport,bewdley and surounding area smile

14-03-11 20:01:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: check test in 10 days and starting to panic help !!!

#2 14-03-11 21:50:21

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Nikki
Phone up ASAP and cancel it as you dont know the area, seriously dont ignore this advice!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#3 14-03-11 22:12:26

Roadmaster
Verified Member

You shouldn't accept a checktest outside your own work area.   When you phone to cancel  don't let DSA try to persuade you that you can do a role play (unless you want to).

#4 14-03-11 22:19:45

colin166
Verified Member

On my check test I did a lesson on meeting, the SE saw from my address that I was not local and asked if I was familiar with the  area and when I told him that I only had a rough idea where I was going he said: ok, if you get lost or need any directions just ask.

I don't think you can be expected to learn a whole new area just to do a check especially if like me you are 15  miles from the test centre test although others will disagree.

I didn't wonder to far from the test centre, gave a good lesson, pupil learnt how to deal with meeting and I got a grade 5. big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 15-03-11 15:50:46

greenyaris

Hi Nikki
Phone up ASAP and cancel it as you dont know the area, seriously dont ignore this advice!

I find this advice and that from Roadmaster a little disturbing.

The inuendo, to me, is your pupils when independant are only fit for the road in the area they have been taught.

When I took my Advanced IAM Tests in my car and subsequently on my motorbike, both tests were conducted over 50 miles away from where I live and in totally different areas. I had to go where the available examiner at the time was; no way could I 'learn' the areas. I would like to think that any ADI worth his salt could instruct/coach/drive to the high standards expected anywhere and in any conditions.

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

#6 15-03-11 16:25:50

oz11

I would request it to be moved, I have done the same in the past. I would advise that on your check test you need to turn up with a plan and a structure, which you can change if your pupil needs it. If you were to take it in an area that you don't know you may find it hard to think of anything else other than not getting lost, so your plan and lesson structure gets forgotten about which will, most probably, affect your grade. This is your check test, no one else's. I would read the posts above and consider which ones give YOU the best advice..

All the best with it!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 15-03-11 16:28:30

Roadmaster
Verified Member

When I took my Advanced IAM Tests in my car and subsequently on my motorbike, both tests were conducted over 50 miles away from where I live and in totally different areas

You weren't teaching a learner driver.  BIG BIG difference.  Unless you are an ADI you wouldn't understand.

#8 15-03-11 17:25:04

jimmydavid
Verified Member
Website

she has her test 3 days later but does have a problem with antisapation when pulling out of juctions so is it ok to use this as my lesson???? the only

With a problem like this, why are you letting the lady take their driving test?

www.onewaydrivingschool.org
info@onewaydrivingschool.org

#9 15-03-11 19:52:55

nikkikid
Website

thanks for replies i can't change it cus it is the nearest centre to me as the one in my local area was closed down i have taken the pupil up to this test centre for 2 2hr lessons and we have 1 more before the test which i have planed but do have a reminder of the roads on my lap this hasnt affected the lessons so would this be ok for test..???? 

Adi, nikki's ignitions learn to drive in kidderminster, stourport,bewdley and surounding area smile

#10 16-03-11 10:15:02

Madiggy
Verified Member

hector wrote:

Hi Nikki

The inuendo, to me, is your pupils when independant are only fit for the road in the area they have been taught.

When I took my Advanced IAM Tests in my car and subsequently on my motorbike, both tests were conducted over 50 miles away from where I live and in totally different areas. I had to go where the available examiner at the time was; no way could I 'learn' the areas. I would like to think that any ADI worth his salt could instruct/coach/drive to the high standards expected anywhere and in any conditions.

I get the point you are making, but did your career rest on the outcome?

Nikkikid, make contact with the examiner who is conducting the test and be honest and open explaining your concerns. I am confident that you will then know exactly what course to follow. Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

Madiggy

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#11 16-03-11 15:44:11

greenyaris

Nikkikid, make contact with the examiner who is conducting the test and be honest and open explaining your concerns. I am confident that you will then know exactly what course to follow. Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

Madiggy

A sensible answer, and I am sure it will not affect his career by being in the 'wrong' area. After all, isn't the check test all about how well the instructor controls the pupil and not how well the pupil controls the vehicle.
After all, if you came to me as fleet trainer, I would expect your sevices/level of instruction/coaching to be every bit as good in my area as they are in yours.

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

#12 16-03-11 16:19:13

Roadmaster
Verified Member

After all, isn't the check test all about how well the instructor controls the pupil and not how well the pupil controls the vehicle

No it isn't. 
As I said previously, unless you are an ADI you wouldn't understand.

#13 16-03-11 16:24:14

Madiggy
Verified Member

Madiggy wrote:

Madiggy

A sensible answer, and I am sure it will not affect his career by being in the 'wrong' area. After all, isn't the check test all about how well the instructor controls the pupil and not how well the pupil controls the vehicle.
After all, if you came to me as fleet trainer, I would expect your sevices/level of instruction/coaching to be every bit as good in my area as they are in yours.

Thank you for your compliment on it being a sensible answer.

However a Low grade for a check test can and does threaten an ADIs career, irrespective of the reason, it is always best for the ADI to deliver their lesson in as comfortable and conducive environment as poss. Definitely not just surrounding the relevant levels of control by either party, moreover the core competencies need to be met.

Madiggy

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#14 16-03-11 19:26:24

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I am sure it will not affect his career by being in the 'wrong' area.

It's "her" career, not "his"

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#15 16-03-11 20:01:43

greenyaris

No it isn't. 
As I said previously, unless you are an ADI you wouldn't understand.

Then things have moved on.
Then things have moved on.
Perhaps I don't understand, now.

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

#16 16-03-11 21:51:27

hector
Verified Member
Website

hector wrote:

Hi Nikki

Hi greenyaris

As i said, it was good advice! Same from roadmaster, a driving lesson/coaching session where the trainer doesnt know the area will never be good as it could be, and is generally a disaster on a Check test. ps - I do know a bit about this BTW   neutral

And to original poster- Same advice, entirely up to you where you take it, if you dont know the area, change it, or put it back until you do know the area, no difference if you do roleplay you still plan the route. Anyway the OP can prove me wrong and post up a grade 6 on here  big_smile

Ive observed hundreds of driving lessons, say ive observed 500, 499 ADI's got the route wrong even when they did know where they were going. 500 out of 500 at some point wont know thew speed limit of the road there on whilst instructing for example.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#17 04-04-11 20:24:56

Vhasler

Just wondering did you end up taking the test? Hope it went ok x

5/7/08 passed adi part 1 - 100/60 (1st attempt)
3/11/08 passed adi part 2 - 2 minors (1st attempt)
15/10/09 passed adi part 3 - 4/4 (first attempt)

#18 04-04-11 21:37:18

nay7272

Don't panic had mine last thursday, My examiner made me feel at easy just make sure you have plan A and plan B

#19 16-04-11 13:55:20

justine

Hi,
This is my first post but I deliver a fair amount of check test training.
I think the main point to mention is that if a pupil needs remedial action for a fault then it is far easier to return to the scene of the crime or a similar junction or roundabout etc to offer remedial training if you are familiar with the area. On your check test you do not want to be wasting time trying to renavigate your route. I am sure all ADI's appreciate that all the best laid plans can go out of the window within a check test especially if the client/pupil is nervous. Very often you have to change the plan of the lesson to suit and again this can be alot more tricky if you are in an unknown area. I am sure any ADI would muddle through regardless but as it was rightly mentioned on an earlier post that this can affect your career. I have advised clients a few times to change the location of their check test.

ORDIT ADI/Fleet Trainer for Pelicandriving.com

Board footer