You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-03-11 15:10:59

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

who is responsible for road rage?

Hi All

I've been reading an article about road rage & it's been said that the parents are at fault. I do not think this is completely true please can I have some feedback?

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

11-03-11 15:10:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: who is responsible for road rage?

#2 11-03-11 15:19:12

la.monikita
Verified Member

Post the article please.

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#3 11-03-11 15:27:24

gadgetdriver
Website

Nature or nurture - you'll not get a definitive answer to that question. It's got to be some of each, and it's not only parents who affect the "nurture". Looking forward to reading opinions on this one!

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#4 11-03-11 18:31:58

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi Monikita

I'm sorry the articles is at present embargoed I'll make it public knowledge when its released on Monday.

I've been asked by local radio to make comment on it & I was just floating the idea to see what ideas came up.

Tony

www.12drive.co.uk

#5 11-03-11 18:47:55

Aspyre

Without the article (and knowing exactly what it is saying) it is difficult to answer that Pilgrim. Does it say "parents are to blame entirely and nothing else is involved" (which is unlikely, although that's what seems to be implied in your OP) or that "parents have the biggest responsibility" (which is true)?

Given the environment some young people grow up in, it is clear that their behaviour is influenced by that to a large extent. Never being told they are behaving badly when very young is bound to lead to problems later.

But there are lots of other things involved - too many to pin it on a single cause.

#6 12-03-11 15:55:34

driverpete
Verified Member

Maybe I'm being simplistic but isn't road rage (or any other form of response) the responsibility of the individual concerned? I'll accept that upbringing and the example of others may be an influence but ultimately we are each responsible for our own actions and blaming someone else just won't wash.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#7 13-03-11 18:09:03

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

I've been given leave to release the information tomorrow morning as from 00.01.

I wish I can say more but all I can say is that parents are being blamed for a large number of student developing driving habits before taking the test

Tony

www.12drive.co.uk

#8 13-03-11 19:05:42

Aspyre

I would agree with that in principle, but it's not new information.

Childrens' behaviour is shaped largely by the environment they grow up in, and if that environment fails to identify what's right and what's wrong (or blurs the edges) then they will become adults who have the same inability to differentiate. Subsequently, they'll pass this on to their own children.

However, if the report tried to suggest that only road rage was passed over like this then it would be misleading.

#9 14-03-11 00:11:28

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

BBC Press Release

Parents passing on road rage to learner drivers

Speeding, tailgating and anger issues among top 10 faults picked up by next generation, AA reveals

Speeding, tailgating, driving one handed and tendency towards road rage are among the Top 10 dangerous habits passed on to learner drivers by their parents, according to new research by AA driving school.

Poor use of mirrors tops the list of faults handed down by parents to the next generation - being mentioned by one in four national panel of AA driving instructors.

Speeding, failing to check blind spots and not feeding the wheel when turning were next on the list (each mentioned 14%), followed by braking too hard or too late (11%)

The findings come after a recent AA/Populous survey* of AA members revealed that some parents are setting a bad example - and breaking the law - by drinking, using the phone or even falling asleep while supervising learners on practice drives.

Parents have a key role to play in learners driving development, but may lack confidence or up to date knowledge, or  have developed bad habits which they risk passing on.

AA Driving school director Simon Douglas says: "Learners who combine formal lessons from an instructor with practice with family or friends boost their chances of passing their test and are likely to be safer drivers. But dangerous habits are easily passed on, and it is alarming to see evidence that road rage is being passed on to another generation of drivers. Parents should try and set a good example with their own driving - and remember to let the experts do the teaching, while they focus on helping their children gain experience.

The AA last year launched the pioneering Supporting Learner Drivers course, which puts parents back in the driving seat with an instructor to help them develop skills for coaching learners. The course is designed to ensure practice drives complement and reinforce the syllabus taught to learners in lessons with a professional driving instructor.

Simon Douglas adds: "By teaming up with their child's instructor, mum or dad can ensure they provide the best possible support and that they complement, not contradict, the key skills a learner picks up in formal lessons."
Top 10 bad habits passed on by parents to learner drivers

(As reported by instructors at AA Driving School)

1. Not using mirrors properly - cited by 25% of instructors
2. Speeding - 14%
3. Not checking blind spots - 14%
4. Not feeding the wheel when turning - 14%
5. Braking too hard or too late - 11%
6. Driving too close to the vehicle in front - 8%
7. Letting the wheel slip through hands - 6%
8. Having only one hand on the wheel - 6%
9. Criticising or getting angry at other drivers - 5%
10. Coasting in neutral - 3%

I know that this is not quiet what I started the thread with but I was only allowed to read the full statement Sunday night.

As you see its more a question of Observations, Speed & Steering being the learnt problems from parents rather than what we consider as Road Rage.

Tony

www.12drive.co.uk

#10 14-03-11 01:24:49

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

If I'm asked what are the most dangerous driving habits in my area (Northern Territory) I say:I wouldn't like to say what order they should be placed in though.

The cause is probably more than one factor, as has been mentioned in previous posts.
Apart from emulating parents, there's impatience, aggressiveness ("suit of armour syndrome"), carelessness, lack of attention, inconsideration, etc.

I'm teaching a 16 years old whose older brother passed his test 12 months ago after taking lessons with me.
He says the family thinks the older brother "drives like a granny" but the lad refuses to race up to corners braking late (good on 'im!!!), and his younger brother says he will emulate his sibling not the rest of the family when he gets his licence.  big_smile

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#11 14-03-11 07:01:14

Roadmaster
Verified Member

It's just an advert for the AA.  Nothing new in the report at all.

Board footer