You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 27-02-11 21:21:47

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

Re: maybe I am being too analytical but....

We should always check the blind spot before we change lanes........i always tell my pupils that there are two blind spots one we check before they move off which is over your right shoulder........ when over taking or changing lanes check by the piller on the right

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

27-02-11 21:21:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 28-02-11 07:17:51

may
Verified Member

Disagree with the always.

In my fiesta I very rarely have to do a blind spot check, if its not in my mirrors i pick it up in a periperihral (sorry for the spelling) vision which is when I check my right mirror. The only time I do is if I know theres a bike around.

In the Skoda its a different story, has massive blind spots so if unsure a quick over the shoulder check (includes left is going into left lane) is needed. As I normally am wearing my glasses in the Skoda I can't do a quick sideways glance.

I find that mirrors have to be effective and that means being aware of everything around you because there will be times that some idiot doesn't check his mirrors and pulls into your lane, no matter what gap you have you have to take evasive action.

I teach my pupils to do whats needed. A full blind spot check isn't always needed but sometimes it is and also depends on what your car is and if like me your vertically challenged.

#28 08-03-11 16:07:35

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

Did the answers help with the OP?

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#29 08-03-11 16:16:26

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Looking at motorway driving standards in.this country, I think we are preaching to the converted, the question was asking if and when (order) of bspot checks/sideways glances.

From the shocking driving on.the motorway, its most other drivers who have the issue. To be far what we going to do about it? The dsa and police to assess and enforce driving standards, us to teach/coach it.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 08-03-11 17:31:26

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Did the answers help with the OP?

LA

Well I originally asked about the timing of a blind spot check, unfortunately most of the answers discussed if it was necessary, not the timing of it.

I know in my mind what I do, and what I get people I am training to do, and, while I am open to new information, other opinions and the possibility I am wrong, I'm happy with what I do.

Last Friday I drove from Sunderland to Dartford, and back again on the Saturday.  The roads were quite quiet as both times I was driving in the early evening, so it gave me a chance to experiment (for want of a better word) with blind spot checks. I was in my private car rather than my work car, so I was driving pretty much to RoSPA style.  I tried checking blind spot every time, and didn't have any problems at all - I didn't loose control of steering or position, I kept full control of the car, and I didn't scare myself at any point.  So I am confident that for me personally as a driver, I am capable of doing Mirror, signal (if necessary  :evil: ) blind spot check sideways glance chin to shoulder and then manoeuvre. 

I then tried not doing the blind spot check at all, and just using mirrors.  Sometimes it was OK - on straight stretches of road, or overtaking slow moving vehicles for example, but sometimes I wanted to/felt I needed to check the blind spot.

My conclusion: don't need the blind spot check every time, all depends on the circumstances at that particular time. 
My problem: how do I quantify that for people I train?
My solution: get them to do it every time. 

This works for me, and for the people I teach.  What you do and get your drivers to do is up to you  :angel:

A few other things I discovered:
1. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE to drive
2. If your practising limit point and safe speeds for driving, you forget about the speed limit because your not concerned with the speed limit, but what speed you can safely take a bend  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: yikes neutral
3. The official fuel consumption figures for the Volvo C30 were obviously made up by a male as they are much smaller in real life  wink on a flat road at 50mph with cruise control on and no aircon or windows open, just me and a light bag, I got 61.9mpg
4.  I LOVE to drive!

hope some of you find that of interest

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#31 08-03-11 17:40:54

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Hi Phil agree with a lot of what you have said especially with your personal drive.

Main difference for me is helping to work out when to check and when not to so as to develop their thought process. I have a simple ambition when training and that is to help the driver become a thinking driver.

And I also agree, what others do is up to them, we all have a choice.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#32 08-03-11 17:46:01

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Graham

Teaching an experienced driver is easier to create a thinking driver, but with learners I don't think we have enough time from them, because while our goal is to create safe, confident, thinking drivers, their goal is usually pass the test as quickly and cheaply as possible, so we have to have a compromise. 

Before anyone goes on at me, I do create safe, confident drivers, I just feel they don't give me enough time to create a thinking driver.

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#33 08-03-11 17:50:22

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

I understand Phil, it is though my personal aim at the start of every training session. I Aim high don't always acheive it but try hard.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

Board footer