You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-03-11 14:08:54

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

In car terminals

Just make loads of inquiries about having an in car terminal and have found this thread useful.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho … hp?t=97608

Can anyone lead me to a cheap supplier?

Thanks,
Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

03-03-11 14:08:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: In car terminals

#2 03-03-11 17:19:08

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Cheapest method I know is to get the customer to do an online payment direct into your account.  It's instantaneous, no hassle and free to both parties.
Oh, and they can't claim a refund on the payment in the same way they might if they'd used a card, so it keeps you in control of any refunds should a dispute arise.

I don't accept cards or cheques.

90% of payments are received via online banking transfers, the rest is cash.

#3 03-03-11 17:29:26

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Kevin, Can they do that with a credit card?

Hilary

#4 03-03-11 17:34:57

KevB
Verified Member
Website

No, they do it via their bank account.  (Online banking).

#5 03-03-11 17:38:23

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Thought so. I am still making enquiries to several companies. It may even be possible to buy a machine rather than rent one.

Hilary.

#6 03-03-11 19:51:50

on board training

Hi,

I think it is the Adelante system that stood out for me, but haven't finalised which one we may use as there were three in total but the Adelante one, I think was the only mobile phone based one.

We use Streamline for office based payments and they are as competitive as any but need to haggle a bit.

Brian

#7 03-03-11 21:50:46

Adi1234

I think the problem with This type of system Is In my experience Not many Of The younger People I teach have bank accounts so would be unable to pay via cheque or card. Sometimes parents pay for lessons By cheque But most of the time I take cash.

#8 04-03-11 06:54:57

may
Verified Member

L card are pretty good but to be honest I wouldn't bother. I have one and very few now use it. I'm sending it back as its only been used once this year.

#9 04-03-11 08:28:54

golfball13
Verified Member
Website

Another option (depending on your technical knowledge) is to set up a paypal donation page on your website. I can go on there and 'donate' any amount of money to my account using the pupil's card (over the phone or in car).

It has it's downsides, mainly you need to enter the person's address so it can be time consuming. There are fees involved, but for the amount of times I've used it, it's a lot cheaper than renting/buying a terminal.

Rob

RPL Driving
Driving lessons in Chelmsford, Brentwood, Billericay and other areas of Essex

#10 04-03-11 09:50:03

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Thanks folks!

Just checking out L Card - seems pretty good.
Am I correct in  thinking you can take credit crds through your mobile via your paypal account - rather than you credit card terminal?

Hilary

#11 04-03-11 10:22:44

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi hilary.
Can I ask why you are interested in this.

I only ask because it's rare for pupils to NEED to pay in this way.

I've only ever been asked about payment by card twice in all the time I've been instructing, and on both occasions the pupils were just as happy to pay by other means  (one by cash, the other by online transfer before their next lesson).
They only enquired on a whim, rather than out of neccesity.

It's quite possible that you find that you get yourself tied into a minimum term contract, with monthy costs, and yet not really be gaining anything in return.
You may well find that SOME clients use the service, because you offer it, but are just as happy to pay by other means.
So why increase your running costs for no, or little additional return?

Personally, I've never lost a single enquiry because I don't accept card payments.  Have you?

Anyone that enquires about card payment, I offer the online transfer option. Either they pay by cash, or more commonly, they pay by online transfer.  Parents are particularly keen to use the transfer option.

#12 04-03-11 11:33:20

on board training

Hi,

There are various other reasons why someone may want to take payments by card.

Less money held at any given time, saves time going to bank if banked automatically - so a more secure way and you may make a little extra money out it by charging 10% on top of price which will more than cover any costs.

So there are probably more positives and once you start offering the service more will take it up.

It helps to get payment in advance for first lesson too.

Brian

#13 04-03-11 11:38:51

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Things are not good round here financially. I know a lot of people are living on credit now - indeed, a pupil of mine who has her own hair salon said that one of her employees won't buy anything unless she can use a credit card. This attitude is now more common than not ( especially amongst the young, it seems ) and I intend to cash in on that market.

Remember, many ADI's don't have a credit card acceptance system so you could see  it as a local gap in the market.

Hilary.

#14 09-03-11 13:32:26

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

A method I would suggest,

Get a PayPal merchant account, not the one with a monthly fee just a normal merchant one. You can then make buttons to put on a website page or links to send in email. These buttons allow pupils to pay by credit and debit card as well as with their PayPal account. You will only pay 3% on each transaction with no need to rent a card machine or pay a monthly fee.

The way to use it would be to make a web page with all of your payment rates as buttons. Nothing special and put it where you host your site without any links to it so only you, and pupils you give the address to, know how to get to it. If you have a smart phone you can go to the site in the car and go through the payment process with a pupil, you could also take details over the phone or send an e-mail link. You can also send a money request by e-mail for any amount you haven't made a button for. We tend to use the money request by e-mail.

I am also not convinced the market potential makes the cost of getting a card machine worthwhile. I think you might take more of your existing payments by card because it's more convenient. We dropped card payments some time back because as a school we had to charge the pupil to take the card or pass the charge onto Instructors then administer it all.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#15 09-03-11 14:19:00

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Thank you all for your responses.

Hilary.

#16 08-04-11 09:11:19

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

An update on this one.

I have downloaded the PayPal app for my iPhone. When you fire it up you can request money from an email address OR MOBILE PHONE NUMBER. You can select the mobile number or email from your contacts book or, if you have the Bump App (look this one up) you can use that.

The app is free so PayPal have given you a mobile terminal. I haven't tried it yet but I guess you can sit with your pupil, enter their phone number and they can use their phone to pay.

Food for thought

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#17 08-04-11 09:34:03

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Sounds good. Thanks Colin.

Hilary