You are not logged in.

#1 28-02-11 20:35:42

melanie01@talktalk.net

recovering lesson fee

Hi All, just need some advise, I have a pupil who has some excuse each lesson for not paying, today it was he'd left his wallet at his girlfriends bearing in mind he already owes 3 lessons. It's his test tomorrow (a cancellation I've juggled all my other pupils for him) am I in my rights not to take him if he doesn't pay up tomorrow as he will lose his fee, his problem or mine?

I pretty new at & would like to know how to handle this.

MelT x

You only fail when you give up!

28-02-11 20:35:42

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: recovering lesson fee

#2 28-02-11 20:43:07

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

You've already given him an inch and he's taken a mile.

If you haven't done so already, tell him tonight by phone, text or email that ALL monies outstanding (along with whatever you are due to charge him tomorrow) must be paid at the start of tomorrow's lesson before he even gets behind the wheel or he can make his own arrangements for the test.

The only "rights" under discussion here are YOURS - i.e. your right to be paid for the services you have provided to him.

smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-02-11 20:50:17

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Hi Melt,

No point saying this really but you shouldn't have let it get this far on.

Insist on the money tomorrow before you move away from his house. If he makes an excuse tell him your not taking him, his problem IMO. Once he's done the test he's got what he needs from you, he may tell you to p**s off. Before the test you have what he needs ..your car.

I have in my Terms & Conditions that they pay one lesson in advance. I 'sell' idea this to them that it has an advantage to me in that I get fewer [wish it was nil] cancellations. Then I say it has an advantage to you, come that stressful test day you have already paid, one less worry.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 28-02-11 20:53:44

melanie01@talktalk.net

Thank you for your quick reply Loopy Lou. Finding this part of teaching tough as I only want the best for them & wouldn't dream of treating anyone the same way. You can't change people you can only change how you react to them.

MelT x

#5 28-02-11 20:59:50

melanie01@talktalk.net

Maybe T&C needs amending. Some want to pay in advance anyway (only the good ones though)  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 28-02-11 21:03:11

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Finding this part of teaching tough as I only want the best for them & wouldn't dream of treating anyone the same way.

I do understand smile

Unfortunately, this is very unlikely to be the only time you'll encounter someone who doesn't play the game by the same rules as you  wink

You can still be "nice", but some people have a habit of exploiting what they may percieve as a "weakness" (although being a decent human being is a strength not a weakness!).

As hoylake suggests, lay down ground rules from the start (in a pleasant and professional "to the point" manner) and stick to them - that way you won't be seen as a "soft touch" and you're far less likely to be in this position again  lol

Let us know what happens tomorrow - hope it all works out OK  big_smile

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#7 28-02-11 21:17:19

melanie01@talktalk.net

Well the text has been sent, thank you for your help I'll keep you posted on the matter

MelT wink

#8 28-02-11 21:44:09

MAZ
Verified Member

Don’t feel bad about this Melt, it is you who is being taken for a ride, if you do not receive the money tomorrow at commencement of the pre test lesson, personally I would not take him, you may never see him or the money again, if you lose a pupil, well, who wants a pupil who does not pay, we could all have a line of pupils queuing around the block 24 hours a day for free lessons.

Best wishes.
Maz.

#9 02-03-11 12:03:49

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I have to agree a text mentioning the total amount of what's owed plus the test time and say you want it at the beginning of the lesson otherwise no test. If they pull the same stunt on you on test day on the basis that they don't believe you wouldn't take them for a test then pass you probably will never see the money.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#10 02-03-11 16:54:12

dcbedford
Verified Member

Hi Melt,

Can you let us know what the outcome was.

Dave

Part 1 - Second attempt - Passed 7/9/06 98/61
Part 2 - First attempt 1/12/06- Failed 8 minors
Part 2 - Second attempt 5/12/06 - Failed different 8 minors
Part 2 - Third attempt 11/1/07 - Passed 4 minors
Part 3 - First Attempt - 7/8/07 - PST 1 5/3
Part 3 - Second Attempt - 11/9/07 - PST 7 2/3
Part 3 - Third Attempt - 25/3/08 - PST 3 5/4 Passed at Last
First Check Test - 2/9/09 - Grade 4

#11 03-03-11 06:48:21

melanie01@talktalk.net

Hi all, yes i sent a text stating all out standing monies before the lesson begins & it worked big_smile.

Thank you all

MelT x

#12 03-03-11 13:59:56

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Nice result, did he pass?

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#13 03-03-11 18:39:50

melanie01@talktalk.net

unfortunately not, thought he would, only got 3 minors but then pulled out in front of a car on a roundabout - never can predict whats going to happen can you.
yikes this was me! Going to get told off one day for a sharp intake of breath when they do that, got no duals in the back!

MelT x

Board footer