You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-03-11 20:10:25

yesdriving
Verified Member
Website

Definition of Stopping, Waiting and Parking

I got told off by a parking warden when I was (to my understanding) "stopping" on a disabled parking place (with several empty disabled parking places in front and behind) to drop my student off where he lives.
The parking warden complained, "you are not allowed to park here". I replied that I was not parking but stopping to drop off my student and there was nowhere else to pull up.
The parking warden then replied that technically I had parked because I had my engine switched off.

Can anyone tell me where I can find an accurate and reliable definition of stopping, loading, waiting and parking?

What if we switch off the engine at a level crossing, does that mean we are "parking" in the middle of the road?
What about hybrid cars, which switch off the engine automatically, are they not allowed to stop at double yellow lines because switching off engine = parking?

I think the parking warden was unreasonable, but this only is based on my (un)-common sense.

Thank you to the one who sheds light onto this!

01-03-11 20:10:25

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Definition of Stopping, Waiting and Parking

#2 01-03-11 20:38:34

KevB
Verified Member
Website

couple of issues here.

1. Was thr disabled bay marked by solid white line and have a sign plated stating it is for disabled users only?

Often, disabled bays are courtesy bays, and not restricted to disabled badge holders. These are usually marked by broken white lines.

2. Loading and setting down/picking up restrictions.

A driver is the only one that can set down and pick up. If you have to change seats, then you cannot claim to be setting down or picking up.

No Stopping.
Means a driver may not stop except in queing traffic, which is preventing his progress, or in an emergency.

No loading.
A driver may not park, including for the purpose of setting down or picking up passengers or cargo.

No Waiting.
Means a driver may not park for the purpose of waiting to pick up or set down passengers. A driver may park for the purpose of loading or unloading but he must not leave the vehicle.

No Parking.
A driver may not park, except to set down and pick up passengers. A driver may load or unload, but may not wait for any longer than is absolutely neccassary.

Precise definitions may be found on some local council websites.
the relevent legislation is TSRGD, although it's definitions are lacking in clarity.

#3 01-03-11 21:27:21

yesdriving
Verified Member
Website

Thank you for your contribution, Kevin smile!

The bays were marked as "for badge holders only" and I can't recall whether they were solid or not.

However, in the warden's opinion my car was parked and not stopped because my engine wasn't running. I can't imagine that having the engine on or off would make the difference between "stopping" and "parking" ??

I wasn't able to find any definition of parking or stopping in the TSRGD - have I missed something?

Board footer