You are not logged in.

#1 27-02-04 19:50:26

jonks

How much do driving instructors earn?

Ok, If it isn't too much of a personal question... How much do you all earn a year as a driving instructor.

Could be helpfull to those who are thinking about it as a profession and money is a factor.

And I'm a nosy git who's interested. tongue

27-02-04 19:50:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How much do driving instructors earn?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 27-02-04 20:35:44

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I'll tell any Nosy Git what I earn from teaching which is not a lot! (nowadays anyway.)

I now get most of my income from franchising instructors. Which means they pay me a weekly fee and I make sure they're stacked out with work and trained to the highest standard.

I have a part timer who averages 25 hours a week and managed £9K last year whilst my busiest instructor averaged 38.5 hours and topped £22K.

But I'm pretty miffed by the claims in many newspaper adverts that you can earn £25 to £30K. It just don't seem possible.

I think honesty has to be the best policy as I nearly lost my home when I first started with a National Company and managed to earn less than £2k in my first year!

Regards,

#3 29-02-04 22:34:44

skier

Hi Big Red,

Why are you 'pretty miffed' at some claims in national papers about ADIs earning £25000 to £30000 ?

You say, ' It just dont seem possible'.

Well, it jolly well is possible, and I am fed up with the twaddle claimed by some ADIs who say it is not possible to earn large sums. I have never had anything to do with any national or franchise company either.

Take a typical 48 week year of work, at 40 hours per week.

£15 ph x 40 hour week = £600.
£18 ph x 40 = £720, x 48 = £34560,
£20 ph x 40 = £800, x 48 = £38400,
£22 ph x 40 = £880, x 48 = £42240,
£24 ph x 40 = £960, x 48 = £46080,
£25 ph x 40 =£1000, x 48 = £48000,
£26 ph x 40 =£1040, x 48 = £49920,
£27 ph x 40 =£1080, x 48 = £51840,
£28 ph x 40 =£1120, x 48 = £53760,
£29 ph x 40 =£1160, x 48 = £55680,
£30 ph x 40 =£1200, x 48 = £57600,

Take £10000 (ball park figure) away for expenses and you get a 'salary' or 'wage' figure.  And with 4 weeks holiday every year, life can be, ? oh exotic ?

There are ADIs in the UK today who are earning the sums in the higher figures. This is because they have got their act together, providing a quality service to their customers. They are not franchised ADIs either.

People who run franchise outfits are one, and only one, reason for the quite low charge out rate for driving lessons in the country. The bosses of these, of course, make their own money by taking it off the gullible ADI who is prepared to pay it to them. In fact one such company made so much profit at their few thousands ADIs expense it paid for about 20 of them (well, mostly directors and office managers! ) to attend a very expensive lunch in London last December. Add on the travelling expenses also, and the figure could make your eyes pop out.

Why do you not pay your ADI 'staff', 'employees', a salary or wage ? You could do so if you set your School's lesson fees at a sensible rate, but like that well known national company, you expect them to Bring Some Money to you every week on the dot. If you are, as you say, giving the ADIs a full book,(38 hours averageish!) then their is no good reason why you cannot raise the price of your lesson fees to pay them a decent wage, of say £600, £700 per week. But, I suppose you would prefer to take on more ADIs who will pay you instead, like more pinkys! Line your pocket, not theirs.

There is hypocrisy around too, so many ADIs start out with a national company, getting the benefits of training, company support, pick up some pupils, then jump ship, saying they cannot afford the franchise fee. Take the pupils with them, (so much disloyalty ), and then they have the audacity to set up their own similarly run 'franchise ' system, and with a lower hourly rate for lessons. The whole thing stinks to high heaven, from one rip off to the next rip off. Maybe the current 'war' of DSA versus ADIs (re,Part 1 /HPT ) will bring about some good, in spite of the indignity of requalifying.

Cheers, Skier

#4 01-03-04 00:11:50

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

I have just increased my prices from £23 to £24 p/hour from Today (1st March)   Block of 10 @ £216.00

Providing you are getting recomendations and plenty of passes then increase prices. We really should be increasing by about £2 p/hour p/year to keep up with rising costs. 

Promote the prices on your website, then when they call you they already know!

Mark

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#5 01-03-04 00:46:55

jonks

I think if you are a great instructor you should charge more.

If I were learning, I would rather do 35 lessons at £25.00 and then pass, than 40 at £22

If that makes sense (Its very late)  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 01-03-04 08:05:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

I Think you're all picking on me! But that's fine I think I have a good case for doing what I do.

My initial statement of

But I'm pretty miffed by the claims in many newspaper adverts that you can earn £25 to £30K. It just don't seem possible.

was a bit misleading as that is with a franchised school, working on your own it's a lot easier to reach £30K.

Skier asks why I don't employ instructors, my main reason is they lose some of their motivation for putting in the hours if the money is already there. ADI's also like to be their own boss and to run their own diary.

We charge about £2 an hour more than the local independant instructors and currently track the AA's prices. But at just £20 per hour we have to keep pushing the boundaries. We aim to be on £22 by next year. But it's not easy.

As for taking on more instructors I will only take on extra instructors when there is the work for them, I also have a strict policy of no more than 2 driving instructors per local driving test examiner. e.g. In Folkestone there are 3 examiners, I will never take on more than 6 instrructors working from this test centre. Now we've reached capacity it's time to improve services and put up prices.

And the bottom line is if ADI's don't like us and the service we provide thay could always try to do it on their own.

Regards,

#7 01-03-04 08:14:37

Liesa

I think what bigred is getting at is, the fact that these ads claim you can earn x amount, but forget to mention the exspenses you incur.

The other thing in my oppinion that make these ads misleading is, that they forget to mention that 40 hours for example, can easily turn into 55/60 when you include travelling time. In an idealistic world we'd all have everyone of our pupils within 10 minutes drive, and before you say it, I do try and group pupils, from the same area together, on the same day, but it's not always possible.

#8 01-03-04 20:44:08

adi
Verified Member
Website

So much can depend on where you are based. I moved from a city to a town where there are 40+ driving schools operating. If you push your prices up too much above the average it is real easy to price yourself out, however good you are. I would like to earn 25.00 per lesson but business would soon dry up. Especially where in the next town lessons can be found for under 15.00! If i was to move back to the city i could probably earn 40% more for doing the same amount of work.

#9 02-03-04 07:15:18

Liesa

Hi adi

Did you move far?

I know what you mean though we also live in a big city, and we've got that many people, with their fingers in the pie, that I'm glad to be a woman sometimes, sorry guys but it can be a real advantage sometimes!

I know of individuals who charge less than £13 per hour around here. Even the major school I mentioned earlier only charges around £18 per hour.

#10 02-03-04 07:46:30

DAVE-ADI

£38,400 for a 40 hour week.  Yeah, sounds fantastic doesn't it.

But if you are getting paid for  40  lessons you are actually working a lot longer, because of travelling time between lessons.    Add on an extra 15 minutes to every lesson, which is UNPAID.

And whilst you might EARN the amounts quoted, out of that comes all the expenses of running the business (the car and depreciation being the biggest),   then 20% more comes out for  tax and then another 8% for national insurance.

Depends on how many hours you want to work.   If you are happy to work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week you can have a good bank balance,  but no time to spend it.

#11 02-03-04 07:59:46

Badger

Its all about achieving a balance to maintain your quality of life.

I increased my turnover by 20% last year and paid most of it to Burglar Brown - what was the point?

Badger

#12 06-03-04 23:30:25

vince

You guys really have a hard time don't you? 15 years ago I earned £15,000 p.a. working in a dirty smelly sh**hole of a factory. now that industry in this country has collapsed I work a 10-12 hour day 5 days a week in a dirtier,smellier more dangerous sh**thole, I never see the sun and I get home in time to see the kids to bed and for this I'm paid the princely sum of £9800. The best thing I ever did is qualify as an ADI, I haven't started teaching yet admittedly but if I can earn a living then screw the huge cash rewards, what about quality of life? what about the pleasure of helping someone to become a safe driver? yes, we all need cash but look around you, you ain't got life that bad,
       Hi Liesa, I know you're a babe but surely you are really doing well because you're a good teacher and not because of your gender?
              take care

#13 07-03-04 07:23:43

Liesa

Hi Vince

Welcome to the boards, are you who I think you are?

I was only stating that as a female instructor it's easier to pick up work, I wasn't saying that's how I get my work!

My work is 80% reccomendations and most of them come from passed pupils.

Board footer