You are not logged in.

#1 19-02-11 19:01:02

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Driving on Motorways

Good evening everyone.

Been driving for 30 years. Experienced the odd prang but nothing serious. Apart from the work's van I've only ever driven non-descript vehicles.
On weekends I used to like to get out and about across the South and sometimes up North to watch football or generally visit places of interest.
It never used to bother me driving on Motorways/Dual Carriageways but over the last 18 months/2 years I have developed a fear of driving such roads!
My neighbour who is a Met. Police, recommened that I do an Advance Drivers course?
Other than staying off the road, catching a train or bus does anybody have any advise that can help!

Vince

19-02-11 19:01:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving on Motorways

#2 19-02-11 19:16:39

(ROG)
Verified Member

Is there anything you would like to tell us about which may have brought this fear on?
It could be down to a bit of news you heard about a driving incident but it could also be down to a traumatic personal incident.....

A good advanced observer or ADI for that matter, may be able to work through any issues with you but you will need to trust them so it may take meetings with many to find the right one for you

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 19-02-11 20:04:09

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Can't think its anything to do with driving directly.

The only personal incident that may have had an effect me happened just over two years ago when I was living between Kent and Essex. I was hit over the head when trying to protect my friend from her sons. At the same time I was suffering from a serious lung infection which has now cleared.

I had undertaken long motorway journeys after that time but it seems I've been on a downward spiral since then.

Vince

#4 19-02-11 20:06:44

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Oh, yes. Sorry.Thanks for your reply.

Vince

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 19-02-11 20:30:10

(ROG)
Verified Member

A blow to the head may have delayed effects and IF this could the cause then you really need to see a medical expert in that field.

Has your confidence in other matters been affected?

IAM Observer

#6 19-02-11 20:57:23

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Thank for your reply again.

Not overly so. Though , of course the business in Essex has made me more introverted.  I can't go into detail what I do for a living because I'm restricted what I can divulge. Not a great job I can assure you. But it used to be nice to get out and do deliveries in the works van just to escape the boredom of being stuck on site. That might sound crazy prefering to trundling along the M25 then being on site.

When driving on motorways part of me wants to get going and the other part wants to slow up and pull over. Its a sensation thats gradually developed.

Vince

#7 19-02-11 21:08:55

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Vince.

What do you feel makes you less comfortable whilst on a motorway? Faster traffic passing you? Whilst you are in a passing lane and passing slower traffic?  When you are following other traffic? when other traffic is following you?

Do different vehicle types concern you more than others?
Strange question, I know,  but what about vehicle colours? do you feel more anxious when a particular colour, or perhaps model is near you?

Identifying what aspect of motorway driving makes you feel uncomfortable will be the first step to overcome your concerns.
A good instructor should be able to help with this.

Alternatively, take your neighbours advice and join one of the "Advanced" motoring organisations.  Once you are a member, they can help your awareness and planning which can often alleviate stress and anxiety.  Their training is free, once you are a member of their organisation.

Regards,  Kev

#8 19-02-11 21:28:47

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Dear Kev.
Thanks for your reply.
Its combination of things.
1. Following slow traffic;
2. When I do decide to overtake I get anxious I want to get over to the near lane asap;
3. Fast traffic joining/exiting a motorway beside me;
4. Finaly, just wanting to slow down rather than keep going after awhile.

Yes, crazy I know.

Vince.

#9 19-02-11 21:38:34

(ROG)
Verified Member

IAM Observer

#10 19-02-11 21:46:32

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Thanks for the Info.

And thanks to everybody who have replied to me tonight. Especially ROG, Leicester

#11 20-02-11 18:24:37

lynesweb

Hi,

Try joining a local IAM group or contacting your local ROSPA group, helped me with getting over fears and problems.

#12 20-02-11 23:50:22

Vincent Taylor
Verified Member

Dear Lynne.

Thank you for your reply.

Vince Taylor

Board footer