You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 01-02-11 11:42:22

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Lesson Plans C&G 7304 CTLLS

I am currently studying for the City & Guilds 7304 Certificate In teaching In The Lifelong Learning Sector - it's the next level up from the PTTLLS course.  As part of the course I need to produce a scheme of work for 30 hours of teaching in my subject area.  I have just started messing about with it, and have come up with what is below.  Dont worry about the layout as it looks better in word than it does here.  Wondered if anyone had any constructive criticisms to add?

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS Mirros set up, vision and use and seat belt rules will have a separate lesson plan

COCKPIT DRILL

LESSON OUTCOME: to prepare the car ready for you to drive

MAIN POINTS:
•    Doors – make sure all doors are closed, either by shaking them to see if they move or looking in the side mirrors to see if they are flush with the body of the car
•    Seat – Position can be changed backwards and forwards.  When you press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, there should be a slight bend in your knee.  Rake means the angle of the part of the seat against your back.  This should be adjusted so when your hands are on the wheel at a 10 to 2 position you have a slight bend in your elbows.  Height can also be changed on some seats.  You should be able to use the clutch with your heal on the ground.  Make sure after adjusting that the seat is locked firmly in place.  Head restraint adjusted so the middle of your head is in line with the middle of the head restraint
•    Steering wheel of some cars can also be changed to move up or down and backwards or forwards
•    Seat belt – not twisted and pulled tight across your body.  See also seatbelt rules
•    Mirrors – see mirror set up
•    Precautions – before starting check the parking brake is applied and the gear leaver is in neutral
•    Fuel – check you have enough fuel for your journey

•    EVALUATE LEARNING: the learner can prepare the car for them to drive, and demonstrate which adjustments can be made as part of the cockpit drill

Thanks

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

01-02-11 11:42:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lesson Plans C&G 7304 CTLLS

#2 01-02-11 12:18:26

Matterhorn

Hi Phil

Have you got a writing frame for a scheme of work that you could use.

List the learning outcomes, which you have done.
List the teaching strategies you are going to use, eg Q&A, demonstration, facilitation, coaching etc.
How are you going to support literacy, numeracy and ICT. I usually blab on about communications skills at this point.
What resources are you going to use.
What assessment strategies will you use, eg formative, informal, observation.

The main points would be better on a session plan rather than a scheme of work.

Hope this helps.

#3 01-02-11 12:45:54

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

My scheme of work was broken into:

Basic Info' summary
Aim summary

Content
Workings & control ( objectives of controls, transmission, moving off etc which I won't list here )
Awareness (Zones of vision, moving hazards etc although not all listed here)
External influences ( Distraction, influences, risk taking, attitudes )
Specialized safety & control ( Manoeuvres & emergency braking ).

Resources summary
Methods summary
Assessment summary
List of objectives

You seem to have put together the objectives for an actual lesson so I would have thought that it needed to be more of a summary presentation.

Could be wrong, though. If people want, I can attempt to upload my half dozen pages or so as an attachment. It's a bit feint, though as it was written out by hand in blue ink!!

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#4 01-02-11 13:50:49

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

thanks for that Hilary, and I would really appreciate it if I could see your work - I can send you my email address if you dont want to post them all on here?

Much appreciated

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#5 01-02-11 14:02:20

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I'll see what I can do about uploading them. Make take me a while. I'll get back to you if I can't manage it ok.

Hilary.

#6 01-02-11 15:22:19

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Files are too big - I'll send you them by e mail if you want ( 9 pages )
Hilary.

#7 01-02-11 15:28:47

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Just out of interest, my understanding of the sheme of work is that you should try to bear in mind what an outside organisation would want to know about your course - a presentation, if you like. May be wrong and we're going back a bit since I did the 7307 but the principles remain the same, one would imagine.

Hilary.

#8 02-02-11 19:31:31

gadgetdriver
Website

Call me pedantic (many do) but it's a gear lever, not a leaver!
>> Gear leaver .. someone who leaves gears smile)

If you go as far as checking fuel, why not add "check warning lights" ?

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#9 02-02-11 20:15:01

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Phil, all looks great, is this one on one, or classroom?

I still think you need to do ROMPS..... Recap, Objectives (and Aims), Main points, Practice and Summary.

Recap to find out current knowledge of the student(s), as they may already know a lot about the subject, this is when I would set aims/objectives.  If student says, yeah driven before, or even if they haven't they'll have a clue (I know you probably know this) but I think this should be part of the plan. 

Aims/Objectives, I think could be set as SMART - Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timed....i.e. By the end of today’s training, you will be able to conduct the cockpit drill, with very little help, the session will last approximately twenty minutes.

Main points are the items listed above. Personally, although great what you have written, I would go into a lot more detail.  Doors for example could be a great way of checking student's knowledge, what about locking?  It is difficult to factor in coaching into this, I'm sure some would disagree, but coaching by its very nature is hard to write down.  I would cover getting in/out, weather, safety, passengers, child locks, security, and use of key (remote fob) as part of the door just of the top of my head.  Who is the lesson plan for?  You, student or for validation by the assessor?

Practice, is the practical element, which I would do alongside discussing main points, making it interactive, but this might be worth noting e.g. talk through student using seat, up down, forwards, backwards, backrest, head restraint, etc...

Summary is really a recap on what has been covered, for validation of learning (for me anyway) so this could be “why do you adjust your mirrors after moving your seat” and why…. Etc…… which might be something to include?

Additionally I usually set targets for the next session at this stage (coached usually, “What do YOU think we should set as an aim for next week?”  I would generally always include a recap including validation questions during the next session.

Personally I would try and include handouts/visuals or photographs to demonstrate the lessons too.

Hope this helps! smile

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#10 02-02-11 20:19:45

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Oh as per Hillary's excellent post above, discussing human factors/attitudes, dealing with traffic and other road users is a great discussion point for most subjects.  A2om have done some absolutely great lesson plans, might be worth getting a copy of thier stuff!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

#11 02-02-11 20:22:29

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Nice to see folks talking about teaching techniques makes a change from moaning about how to drive (which is basic HWC/Roadcraft stuff) all written down pretty well there anyway......good references for this thread too!

Fleet Training

#12 18-02-11 07:41:38

ratty

Hello

I've heard of the C&G 7303 but not the 7304 course. Can you tell me how they differ please? I presume that the idea is that the 04 follows the 03 course?

Thanks.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 18-02-11 10:11:00

on board training

Hello

I've heard of the C&G 7303 but not the 7304 course. Can you tell me how they differ please? I presume that the idea is that the 04 follows the 03 course?

Thanks.

Hi,

The 7303 is basically a broad overview of the topics/subjects of the 7304and is actually a part of the 7304 if you do not do the 7303 first.

Doing the 7303 will probably give you an idea of what it entails and whether you want ot pursue the 7304.

Brian

#14 18-02-11 13:26:45

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

The 7303 Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector or PETTLS course is a very very basic introduction to teaching.  When I did mine there were 25 on the course and I was the only one with any previous teaching experience!  Too be honest I didn't really learn anything, but I think that is a reflection on my previous training and experiences, rather than a reflection on the course itself.   I would recommend it to anyone coming into the industry, and those who do/want to do ORDIT.  It's a 30 hour course, usually done over 10 weeks but can be done quicker - lots of company's offer it over a week.

The 7304 Certificate in teaching in the lifelong learning sector or CTLLS is obviously the next level up.  I've just started it and there are 9 of us on the course, and we all have previous experiencing of teaching, and some of them are working as teachers already (teaching things like fashion design and painting and decorating).  This course takes 90 hours and is a more in-depth look at teaching.  I'm enjoying it more as I am learning stuff and finding out about how others teach. So far I have learnt about ways people learn, ways to teach, assessment methods ect.  You need to have 30 hours of teaching to do this course.

You can pass both courses at level 3 or 4, 4 being higher.  If you pass CTLLS at level 4 you then go on to....

The 7305 Diploma in teaching in the lifelong learning sector or DETLLS.  This is a year long course and once you pass it you can get QTS - qualified teacher status.  It takes 360 hours to do. 

There is some sort of 'bridging course' you can to so you get Cert Ed if you've done them all - everybody in my class is planning to do that but we haven't been told much about it yet.

the Cert Ed course takes 2 years so doing it in 3 stages was better for me because it's less commitment - I did PTLLS then had a break before starting CTLLS and I may take time out before doing DTLLS - provided I pass CTLLS of course  wink

Hope that helps

.phil.
tongue

#15 18-02-11 14:58:56

ratty

I've just been told that for one of my contracts C&G 7303 level 4 is going to be a requirement so I will have to look into this. Is the 'level 4' an add on to a basic 7303?

Thanks

#16 18-02-11 15:19:03

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

No you do the same course, but the assignments are slightly different - eg at level 3 you may be asked to LIST diferent forms of assessment, at level 4 you would be asked to DISCUSS them.

.phil.

#17 18-02-11 15:22:42

ratty

Thank you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#18 18-02-11 18:57:36

Matterhorn

This is a year long course and once you pass it you can get QTS - qualified teacher status.

Hi Phil

I think you only get QTS status if you already hold a degree (which means you can teach in schools). If like me you don't hold a degree you only qualify for QTLS status which is for teaching in the adult sector only.

I believe that once you have gained QTLS status you can teach PTLLS (which may come in handy).

In addition to passing the course you need to be registered with the Institute for Learning (IFL).

#19 18-02-11 21:33:21

hector
Verified Member
Website

Freedom Phil wrote:

This is a year long course and once you pass it you can get QTS - qualified teacher status.

Hi Phil

I think you only get QTS status if you already hold a degree (which means you can teach in schools). If like me you don't hold a degree you only qualify for QTLS status which is for teaching in the adult sector only.

I believe that once you have gained QTLS status you can teach PTLLS (which may come in handy).

In addition to passing the course you need to be registered with the Institute for Learning (IFL).

You can take the route Phil descibes to the year long course and once you pass it you can get QTS - qualified teacher status.

OR if you already hold any degree you can start with the 12 month course and only have to do this to gain QTS.
Im reliably informed, sounds like a plan.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#20 21-02-11 17:49:22

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

Hi ,

I spotted this thread earlier whilst working on a S-O-W- for a city and guilds course l teach, one thing l would add to the original poster that will probably be either reqd. or certainly desirable is a section on key skills needed and differentiation, what would you need to look at to assess students needs to gain each learning outcome. if this is being conducted to obtain fleet work then most government sectors now require these things to be a. looked at and b. documented.
   As an aside, you can gain Q.T.S. by obtaining a Cert ed. or P.G.C.E. through the addition of a D.T.L.L.S. course after the C.T.L.L.S. . C.T.L.L.S. will give you 'associate' status which enables you to deliver other peoples courses, s-o-w etc. Cert ed. gives full Q.T.S. so you can plan and deliver your own courses and of course submit new courses to exam boards for qualification status on the new Q.C.F. framework
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#21 17-03-11 15:26:38

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I just had my first observed teach as part of the CTLLS course. 

My tutor sat in while I did move off and stop with a brand new pupil who has never driven before.  The lesson went well and I got very positive feedback from my tutor, she described it as "outstanding" so I'm pretty pleased with myself.  The only issue she could find was that I didn't set much homework......  I gave him a handout detailing move off & stop & the POM routine but that was it.  She suggested some homework such as asking my pupil to read a certain section of the highway code and for me to quiz him on it next lesson.  I'm open minded to the possibility, and I will think about it, but I am not sure how many learners would do the homework, or would want to be tested on it next lesson - they want to drive, not talk.  I'll have to think about that.

.phil.

#22 17-03-11 17:46:31

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

Hi Phil.

How many hours classroom teaching are you required to do on your CTLLS course?  I've just completed PTLLS, along with a couple of other instructors, and found it to be one of the most rewarding courses I've done.  The college we attended are asking for 20 hours out of a total of 30 hours to be classroom based.  We would like to progress to CTLLS, however as none of us are currently involved in the classroom it looks like being a none starter.

Neil. 

#23 17-03-11 19:31:31

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi Neil,

I'm am doing 1 classroom based session, which will be to my class mates.

As well as teaching driving, I also teach martial arts (including teaching the instructors and examiners) and teach first aid.  The college were quite happy for me to have 30 hours in car training though.  I did move off & stop with a total beginner, the next session will be ORDIT based, and my lecturer asked me today how I would feel about doing a session teaching to my class mates so that I could include 1 classroom based session in my portfolio, so that will be the last session.

I didn't really enjoy the PTLLS course as i didn't learn anything new that helped me in teaching or my job - but that is a reflection of my previous training and study rather than a criticism of the PTLLS course. I'm enjoying the CTLLS course and looking deeper into how people learn ect.

Hope that helps
.phil.

#24 17-03-11 19:42:31

on board training

Hi Phil,

There is maybe more to be learned than some people think.

I would suggest that you should be tasking homework based learning to your learners, whatever level they may be at and better still consider getting them to do a reflective log or journal while learning with you and you could maybe do a reflective log yourself and then openly discuss the reflection logs with each other as part of recap on next lesson.

Just a thought and you may be amazed at the benefits of just not letting the students drive especially if the other work is based on their preferred learning style.

Brian

#25 17-04-11 12:00:40

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Setting homework points out that they need to take responsibility for thier own learning, I set next weeks aim with them, asking them to learn about it, or recap their lesson. I always check if theyd remembered what they have learnt, some better than others.

Fleet Training

Board footer