You are not logged in.

#1 15-02-09 18:54:31

Cat8t3
Verified Member

My lesson update

Hi everyone

I had my first pupil today, not a paying customer but a friend of mine (i've sent off for my pink). Thought i would let you know i how i got on, and i have a few questions.

I really enjoyed my lesson, wasnt as nervous as i thought, but that may due to the fact that she is my friend.

I pulled up, got her into drivers seat,  explained dsssm and got her to carry out rountine, explained the controls, and then when we went to do moving off and stopping, id realised that i completely forgotten to show her the gears or handbrake. Ok so we go through that, all fine.

She moved away great and her steering was almost perfect, clutch control excellent moving off, but she kept forgetting to apply when stopping, sorted all that out.

I just have a few questions. When stopping i was trying to explain how to brake progressively which she did, but i was finding it hard to explain that when we are just about stopped we release the brake, so we dont jolt to a stop. By me saying this she would then release te brake to early. Is there an easier way of explaining this, or do they just get it with practice?

Another thing i did, was do her observations, because there was so much going on, clutch, changing gear, brake steering, etc, i said i would do the observations today as there was to much to think about. I am right doing this, or should i get them doing obs from the word go?  :? :?your thoughts would be appreciated on this.

Overall the lesson went well, my friend was brilliant, just a few things i need to improve on, but hey isnt this the point, to gain more experience and training.

tHanks for reading my post  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

15-02-09 18:54:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My lesson update

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-02-09 19:11:47

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

I just have a few questions. When stopping i was trying to explain how to brake progressively which she did, but i was finding it hard to explain that when we are just about stopped we release the brake, so we dont jolt to a stop. By me saying this she would then release te brake to early. Is there an easier way of explaining this, or do they just get it with practice?

Explain feathering

i said i would do the observations today as there was to much to think about. I am right doing this

Yep, in the real world

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#3 17-02-09 00:02:14

mcculde
Verified Member

Hi Cat
You can try to get everything in or settle for making progress.
My view is get steering sorted then get feet controls sorted using the brake needs practice so dont be too critical early on. As for mirrors if everything is fine get her to check if not then dont be too bothered until they have the car under full control. We all strive to get perfection and our greatest weakness is not settling for good steady improvement. Dont overload to early and remember the most important thing do they want to have another lesson. If people do you will make it if they dont then you are in trouble.

#4 17-02-09 11:41:03

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Glad you enjoyed the lesson.

Rather than just explain how to brake smoothly why not give a demonstration with a talk through whilst you are driving. Demonstration is a very underated and underused teaching technique.

Jon

#5 13-02-11 13:13:26

raymondtt
Website

well done..

Board footer