You are not logged in.

#1 10-02-11 19:17:11

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

D1 mini bus test

My neighbours have a decorating firm, and are going to buy a mini bus for their employees to be get too and from jobs.  The bosses son is going to be the driver, but he will need to take a D1 test, and they have asked me for training.  I passed my test in 1994 and have D1 entitlement but as I haven't passed a D1 test myself I can not supervise him in the mini bus.

Their plan is for me to give him training in their van, and then for me to drive the mini bus to the testing station for him to take the test.  Their premises has a yard big enough for him to practice the reversing exercise in the mini bus. 

i think they are crazy, and I have told them so!  But they think it's a good idea and are happy to pay me for it.  I've made them fully aware I am not fully familiar with the D1 test and it's contents, and if I take the job I'll that it in writing and signed by them, and they are happy with all that.

4 days for 6 hours at £25 an hour, in their vehicle is easy money for me!

Not interested in peoples opinions on the circumstances surrounding the training, but any useful info about the D1 test would be much appreciated.

Thanks
.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

10-02-11 19:17:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: D1 mini bus test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-02-11 19:45:51

daz6215
Verified Member

Initial cpc may be required heres a quote from their site:

If you take your test and you are not going to be driving for a living or are exempt (see ‘Are there any special concessions’ page 07), you will only need to pass Modules 1 & 3. If, at a later date, you change your mind and want to drive for a living you would need to pass Modules 2 & 4.

#3 10-02-11 19:48:27

daz6215
Verified Member

If you need anymore info Phil I can pm you the phone number of a collegue who works along side myself and Bert Moncur.

#4 10-02-11 19:56:23

(ROG)
Verified Member

make sure the minibus is up to DSA test requirements

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 10-02-11 20:00:47

(ROG)
Verified Member

My neighbours have a decorating firm, and are going to buy a mini bus for their employees to be get too and from jobs.  The bosses son is going to be the driver,

Driver CPC required for that

IAM Observer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 10-02-11 21:12:01

trunkmonkey

Freedom Phil wrote:

My neighbours have a decorating firm, and are going to buy a mini bus for their employees to be get too and from jobs.  The bosses son is going to be the driver,

Driver CPC required for that

It could go the other way. From what the OP has said, the son would be an 'incidental driver'. the driving of the minibus is incidental to his employment as a decorator.
I have just trained a girl who works for the Youth Offending Team. Her primary role is a Support Worker. Checked with legal department. CPC not required.

Phil,
Category D1
MAM* 4 tonnes
9 - 16 passenger seats
ABS: Yes
Tacho: Yes
Length: 5 metres
Width (metres): Not applicable
Speed Km/h: 80
External mirrors for use by the DE
At the commencement of the test ensure that all emergency exits are unlocked.

#7 10-02-11 22:23:38

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

thats great, thanks trunkmonkey

For the actual test, will the reversing exercise be the same as I did for HGV? and am I right in saying he should use bus lanes as long as they arent local, and he will have to stop at a bus stop? or would that just be for a category D coach?

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#8 10-02-11 22:24:22

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

thanks Daz, I'm actually meeting with Bert tomorrow so I will pick his brains too  wink

.phil.

#9 11-02-11 14:11:10

trunkmonkey

For the actual test, will the reversing exercise be the same as I did for HGV? and am I right in saying he should use bus lanes as long as they arent local, and he will have to stop at a bus stop? or would that just be for a category D coach?

.phil.

Yes to the manoeuvres. There is no braking exercise now. There will be a couple of required stops at bus stops. Remember that the vehicle has to stop so that entry for passengers can be made adjacent to the sliding door behind you slight difference to the D tests where it is normal to stop the front of the vehicle next to the bus stop sign).
You are correct with the 'local' bit.  The bus symbol without the legend 'local' can be used by any bus defined under the regulations. 'Local' refers  to buses operating a local service. The definition of a bus in the regualtions refers to a motor vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of the driver). Therefore it does not need to be a  Category D vehicle.
Easiest way to remember is, if it says 'local' stay out.

#10 11-02-11 14:20:49

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Yeah Durham road in Sunderland has No Car Lanes, but they are easy to work out - you can drive in it if you are:

bicycle
motorbike/scooter
taxi
mini bus
bus
van
wagon
horse/horse n cart
tractor
JCB
steam roller
emergency services vehicle

oh, and apparently if your running late, dont want to get stuck in a que of traffic, cant be bothered to wait patiently, or have seen the learner sign on my car and just want to be a twat and use the no car lane to undertake and cut in on me even when I am driving, then it's OK to use the no car lane too!

It's a simple system really  :evil:

.phil.

#11 11-02-11 14:23:16

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

oh you edited your post, and now mine makes no sense :-s

#12 11-02-11 16:43:23

(ROG)
Verified Member

Re Driver CPC
Perhaps best to phone the DSA Driver CPC Hotline - 0191 201 8112 - for a definitive

IAM Observer

#13 11-02-11 17:02:08

trunkmonkey

oh you edited your post, and now mine makes no sense :-s

I edited the post because I realised you'll be sitting the test in either Gosforth or Darlington.
Can't speak for anything on Tyneside but Darlington only has one 'local' lane, Northgate lasting about 300yds.

#14 02-09-11 11:01:25

bandb666
Verified Member

Freedom Phil wrote:

.phil.

Yes to the manoeuvres. There is no braking exercise now. There will be a couple of required stops at bus stops. Remember that the vehicle has to stop so that entry for passengers can be made adjacent to the sliding door behind you slight difference to the D tests where it is normal to stop the front of the vehicle next to the bus stop sign).
You are correct with the 'local' bit.  The bus symbol without the legend 'local' can be used by any bus defined under the regulations. 'Local' refers  to buses operating a local service. The definition of a bus in the regualtions refers to a motor vehicle constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers (exclusive of the driver). Therefore it does not need to be a  Category D vehicle.
Easiest way to remember is, if it says 'local' stay out.

Does the door actually have to be opened once at the stop, easy on a PCV with door control at side of seat however with mini-bus it would mean getting out of drivers seat & phsically opening the door ?
Is there any other differences to the LGV/PCV test ? I taught LGV 3 years ago but have only taught cars lately & have mini bus training to teach shortly ?

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

#15 02-09-11 22:58:05

The Saint
Verified Member

The candidate will need to stop at the bus stop to enable passengers to get on and off safely. The examiner will tell the driver to move off when it's safe to do so, the door will not be opened on test.

The SMTE questions should be applicable to the class of vehicle being driven, but not always!

Other than that, the test is the same for D and D1.

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

Board footer