You are not logged in.

#1 10-02-11 12:47:01

HAM1

When car will stall

Hello,

At what low RPM's will the engine generally stall.

As when I am in second gear approaching a minor road to turn right into, I am breaking before hand to slow my speed to about 3-4mph, and if oncoming road is clear and right blind spot clear, I will take the right turn. But sometimes I get worried that I will stall when taking the turn very slowly So I wanted to know at what point I should press the gas.

Is gear 1 only to be used when the car is stationary i.e. at traffic lights, start off, junctions. For the UK driving test.

Would it be ok to use gear 2 from when car is stationary or is always gear 1.

Regards

10-02-11 12:47:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: When car will stall

#2 10-02-11 13:17:00

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Take some lessons with a good  qualified instructor.  They will explain properly, and be able to demonstrate the correct procedure.

#3 20-02-11 23:11:39

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Agree with above, if you aren't already taking lessons with a qualified driving instructor then that's your first step. They can demonstrate and explain better in the car.

Generally speaking I teach my students to turn left or right in second gear at a "jogging" pace... maybe 6-7mph if everything is clear. Should you need to slow down further due to things like restricted view, sharp corner etc then you can choose 1st gear as soon as you are at a "walking" pace... about 3-4mph.

You do not need to wait for the car to completely stop before selecting 1st gear, but you shouldn't select it until the car has slowed down to the "walking" pace.

Finally, using second gear when the car is stationary is not a good idea unless setting off on a substantial downhill gradient. On a flat road you should set off in 1st gear, and certainly on a upward incline, or steep upward gradient you will definitely need 1st gear to move off.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 21-02-11 20:12:05

HewittsDriving
Website

I agrre with the posts above. If your not already doing so you should take lessons with a qualified instructor. You should also know that all cars are different and handle differently. I teach my pupils to take in second if doing a jog speed and if have to go down to walking pace might have to go to first.

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

Board footer