You are not logged in.

#1 10-02-11 09:06:45

wrc-vip

red tape on wheel?

i have red tape on my steering wheel at the 12 o clock position for my pupils, can i use this during my part 3 or im i better to remove it??

10-02-11 09:06:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: red tape on wheel?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-02-11 09:08:54

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

No problem at all, I did that for a while once.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#3 10-02-11 09:23:57

wrc-vip

so i can leave it on and use as a tool on part 3?

#4 10-02-11 09:50:11

VandADI
Administrator

What is the red tape there for, I've never heard of it?

#5 10-02-11 10:37:16

wrc-vip

its so the pupil knows where their wheels are pointing in the early stages of the manouvers and also its at 12 o clock, so when were driving along and they need to pull out slightly to alter there road position in passing parked cars i can say turn the wheel to "1 o clock"  this helps them so they dont oversteer etc acroos the road, hope this makes sense?

#6 10-02-11 11:22:37

VandADI
Administrator

I don't mean to be awkward, but what if the pupil does not know where 1 o'clock is, eg they cannot read an anologue clock?
Would it not be better to get them to look where they want to go? eg. hands follow eyes instead of looking at the steering wheel?

#7 10-02-11 11:26:42

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Never heard anything like that before.  Surely they need to be observing the situation in front rather than loooking at the steering wheel so they can see where their car is positioned.

Turn the wheel to one o'clock?   I wouldn't recommend using that on a checktest.
And if you did that on a part 3 with a couple of examiners I know, they'd get up to all sorts of mischief.

#8 10-02-11 11:27:43

VandADI
Administrator

Agree with RM, If you use the "red tape" on a part 3, guess where the SE will be looking!!!!!!

#9 10-02-11 12:32:08

wrc-vip

its just a guide really and not used to often, its very useful for the left reverse i find anyway, normally after 2 attempts the pupil knows how to judge, again its just a rough guide and no different than using "stickers" on the inside of the door panel for judging when to turn for tir etc...

#10 10-02-11 12:33:27

wrc-vip

also in reply to above about the anologue clock, thats a bit off the wall in my opinion if they cant read it lol, did they not attend school from 4 to 16 years of age lol....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 10-02-11 12:35:28

wrc-vip

Never heard anything like that before.  Surely they need to be observing the situation in front rather than loooking at the steering wheel so they can see where their car is positioned.

Turn the wheel to one o'clock?   I wouldn't recommend using that on a checktest.
And if you did that on a part 3 with a couple of examiners I know, they'd get up to all sorts of mischief.

i know what you mean, was just asking the question incase anybody else had done the same, i dont depend on it with my pupils, its just a rough guide for tir and left reverse so they know where the wheels are, with practice after several attemps they know what to do..

#12 10-02-11 13:10:06

Luchell
Verified Member

I would just add be very careful using stickers as reference points. Teach pupils to drive A car not just the car full of stickers they have been having lessons in. Tape stuck on the steering wheel to me is just like a giant red flag waiting to set warning bells off in an S.e's head. Bit like getting in and watching the Pdi with his feet all over and hovering around the dual controls whilst the 'pupil' is just driving down the road. You just know you are in for some 'fun' with that and you are going to want to see just what that Pdi is going to get up to in certain scenarios. One of which can be them ending up with their attention drawn to the tape just when you REALLY don't want that happening telling you they were just looking to see if the car was straight etc taking their eyes off the road. A nice bit of red tape can be a great attention grabber just when it shouldn't be.

There are many many pupils who outside the vehicle can tell me all day long where their left and right is, where 1 o clock is or 10 o clock on a clock face etc etc then you put them in a car where their mind can already be overloaded and find things work out a little differently to what you expected. Suddenly the pupil is less or not able to work out what is meant by 'turning the wheel to 1 o clock' whilst driving their deadly bullet along the road and you may very well find an S.e who would like to test that theory of where you have stuck your tape on the wheel.  Fine if there are no issues and you are able to instruct the 'pupil' in a way he/she can understand that doesn't involve the tape stuck there but then you may as well explain/teach without the tape in that case anyhow.

Using the badge on the wheel itself can do the job in a situation such as manoevering should the pupil require such guidance without having the added attraction of the tape stuck there waiting to catch a pupils eye just when you don't want it to. This is of course just my opinion I have formed over the years I have done the job so make of it as you will as each to their own.

#13 10-02-11 14:30:01

wrc-vip

hi, thanks for your advice and reply, ive removed the tape now, i dont use any other markings on the inside of my micra, roll on next thursday for my 1st attempt at part 3!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 10-02-11 15:14:11

pumpkin

also in reply to above about the anologue clock, thats a bit off the wall in my opinion if they cant read it lol, did they not attend school from 4 to 16 years of age lol....

I'm sorry but I have to say I feel that comment's a bit off, what about people with learning difficulties??

#15 10-02-11 15:33:31

wrc-vip

wrc-vip wrote:

I'm sorry but I have to say I feel that comment's a bit off, what about people with learning difficulties??

yes, know what you mean, dont want to give an se any chances to trip me up, thats why i asked should i remove it..

thanks for the comments

#16 10-02-11 15:44:11

Luchell
Verified Member

In all fairness though, when I look back to my early/earlier days I had no idea whatsoever just what awaited me in terms of spectacular faults and nappy changing moments that these days are really rather easy to see coming and prevent or deal with as neccessary. Through experience I've learnt not to take anything for granted such as the pupil understanding what I mean in terms of a clock face, or directions, or if I were to refer to angles I want the car at. Some pupils understand easily, others need things explaining in a different way to allow them to understand what I am going on about and making sure what I want gets conveyed across to my pupil correctly.

I feel we change dramatically over time and experience, and that never a day goes by where I don't learn something new no matter how small so I certainly don't think Wrc-vip meant anything rude or horrid. Finding and joining this forum back in 2004 was such a lifeline to me. It filled in the blanks on so many things I hadn't realised or considered and no doubt increased my part 3 1st time pass chances to a great degree. I was able to list my experiences and gain info on different ways of dealing with certain faults, procedures including tests and all the other bits my trainers may have magically missed!

#17 10-02-11 16:49:58

VandADI
Administrator

You may joke about people that cannot tell the time using an analogue clock, but explain to me how you would deal with a pupil with severe learning difficulties that have attended special schools from the age of 4 to 16 years but still cannot comprehend what you mean by "red tape at 12 o'clock position and steer to one o'clock"?

#18 10-02-11 16:59:18

wrc-vip

hi, relax a little chief, if you read my reply above i wasnt having a laugh and thats the last thing i would do, i now understand what the other person who posted was gettting at, ive never had to learn a special needs person and would love to in the future, if you read all the posts above you will have read that all has been understood and resolved, just scroll up!!!

#19 10-02-11 17:03:06

VandADI
Administrator

It's good that you understand, shows you are learning to see things from a different perspective.
Good luck on your part 3, let us know how you get on.  smile

#20 10-02-11 17:07:39

wrc-vip

It's good that you understand, shows you are learning to see things from a different perspective.
Good luck on your part 3, let us know how you get on.  smile

hi, yeah i find i learn something everyday, i really love the challenge and enjoy the forum, pass or fail i will post up my expierience and hope its useful for others!

#21 10-02-11 19:00:17

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

You should always agree terms of reference with a pupil e.g. clock face is ok to use providing the pupil can work with this , if not then use something else.
No real problem with tape either providing the pupil  can work with that method.
Reference point should always be personal to the pupil not pre-determined by the instructor.
Flexibility is the key, teach the way in which the novices learns best.

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#22 10-02-11 20:29:52

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

When teaching people to drive try to think what they will be doing post test and work towards methods that will help them when they have passed.
If they are not steering in the correct direction stop them and try asking questions such as what have you noticed about the direction the car is travelling. How much steering do you think you need? followed by what effect has this steering had on the cars direction?
This will give you feedack about the pupils thinking and make it easier to analyse the problem allowing the correct remedial action.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#23 10-02-11 21:16:14

Evan
Administrator

i have red tape on my steering wheel at the 12 o clock position for my pupils, can i use this during my part 3 or im i better to remove it??

Do yourself and your pupils a big fat favour don't go down the stickers route. Learn to judge things yourself in the car then interprete them into teaching. If you can show a pupil how to develop points of reference you will be giving them a lesson for life. They will be able to apply the knowledge in any car they drive in.

Think what you use yourself and ask your pupils what they see try and perceive what they are seeing and develop it from there. It will make you a far better instructor, and you will give your pupils skills that will not be based on scraps of paper stuck all over the car.

#24 10-02-11 21:36:42

wrc-vip

hi thanks for the positive comments, i hate the stickers on dash and doors etc and will never use them, i used the tape for a while but its gone as and from today! i find if i put in the effort myself for reference points or approximate points for them it makes it a little easier as im doing the graft so to speak instead of being lazy with stickers...

#25 12-02-11 08:16:24

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Now this is unusual for me because I have a philosophy of ONLY use what comes as standard with the car, NO added extras (including blindspot mirrors) and certainly NO stickers in the windows....

But in my glove box I have a small cardboard arrow with a bit of blue tack to attach to steering wheel. Because I had one pupil who after 150ish hours of lessons was still turning the wrong way on manouvres. Tried everything, and I mean everything... saying  'turn towards or away from the kerb' meant nothing to her, using the badge on the wheel didn't work... but put the arrow on the top of the steering and begin by turning the arrow in the direction you want the rear to go and the penny dropped. Simply used the arrow a few times then was able to remove it and all was well.

But would use it only as a necessary training aid, not a permanent feature.

them ending up with their attention drawn to the tape just when you REALLY don't want that happening

The only instructor I know who has tape on his steering wheel uses it for manoeuvres, not general driving - would certainly be dangerous for normal driving but I think it's generally use in the context of manoeuvres. I think...

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer