You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 27-02-10 12:54:02

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Re: Is it possible just to take ROSPA advanced test without observed runs

Hi,

I live in Worcester so commuted to Birmingham HQ each day. There were only 3 on the course so we just had the one trainer. He was a guy called Alan Timms who used to work for the fire service driiving school teaching anyone from learner to blue and two's and also has done police instructor course so is class 1. He was ace.

Examiner was Tevor Poxon who was a real gentleman.

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

27-02-10 12:54:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 27-02-10 20:35:41

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Jlo,

Yes..I know Alan is ace.  He was our trainer on the course too  big_smile (just 3 of us too).  My examiner was 'Bob 1'

Hope the cafe at the aerodrome was still serving up good grub smile 

#28 27-02-10 21:07:34

la.monikita
Verified Member

I have been thinking of doing the course for a long time, but have had other priorities. I think this year I will do it though. smile

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 28-02-10 13:39:32

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jlo,

Yes..I know Alan is ace.  He was our trainer on the course too  big_smile (just 3 of us too).  My examiner was 'Bob 1'

Hope the cafe at the aerodrome was still serving up good grub smile

Yes the cafe was still doing good food. Had lovely Chilli con carne there!!

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#30 28-02-10 18:35:19

Lynne
Verified Member

I have been thinking of doing the course for a long time, but have had other priorities. I think this year I will do it though. smile

Go for it Mon.  It is expensive, plus week off work and you will need B & B but you will enjoy it.  I suppose you could call it a 'working holiday'! 

#31 06-02-11 22:17:22

ratty

Well I took my RoSPA test today and was awarded a 'Silver' grade.

Was a little disappointed not to get a Gold but still received excellent feedback from the examiner.

I was close to Gold grade but lacked some progress on the motorway, slowed down a bit early for a 50 limit on some roadworks on the motorway and he would have liked a bit more progress on a small B road.

Test lasted hour and half of solid driving with 15 mins of comentry (5mins motorway, 5 mins country, 5 mins town) and 15 mins feedback and RoadCraft and highway code questions.

I did full cockpit drill, static brake test, told I was going to do moving break test and forgot 'doh' although he said that did not effect my grade.

After feedback I was told very good, safe drive. Liked my blind spot checks, kept to all speed limits, positioning, correct gearing (apart from one brake and overlap gearchange which I should have not done), Commentry OK, obs excellent. Told that on 2 occasions my right arm came over to 11am to turn right which I did not realise I was doing. He said these were very minor faults and the main reason was he wanted a little more progress.

So there you have it. I enjoyed the test and found the feedback valuable from the examiner (Police class 1 holder) and while I am pleased with silver am a little disappointed not to get Gold! Next time eh!

Silver
This grade will be awarded to drivers who are well above the average. These drivers will produce consistently safe and systematic drives but perhaps without the final polish, flair and smoothness of the Gold driver. They will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the system of car control. Candidates must be able to drive up to the permitted speed limit where it is safe to do so but vary speed according to circumstances and conditions. It must be emphasised that Silver is an extremely high grade and a commendable achievement.

Hello

Firstly well done on passing the test with a Silver grade. 

I'm a little confused about this. At the bottom of your initial post you say you hold a RoSPA Diploma, I thought that you already had to hold a Gold grade prior to taking the diploma course, can you clarify this for me please?

Thanks

#32 06-02-11 22:43:15

Lynne
Verified Member

Ratty you can take the Dip with a silver grade although if I remember rightly it costs slightly more.

#33 06-02-11 23:08:47

ratty

So how had jlo31 gained a Diploma prior to taking the test?

#34 06-02-11 23:25:31

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Hi there,

I took my RoSPA test in May 2009 after passing my part 2 and did the diploma course in Feb 2010 after I had qualfied as an ADI.  Also Gold or Silver are acceptible entry grades to do the diploma course.

Best wishes

James

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#35 07-02-11 00:11:35

ratty

That explains it.

Thank you.

#36 07-02-11 20:50:15

trunkmonkey

Silver
This grade will be awarded to drivers who are well above the average. These drivers will produce consistently safe and systematic drives but perhaps without the final polish, flair and smoothness of the Gold driver. They will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the system of car control. Candidates must be able to drive up to the permitted speed limit where it is safe to do so but vary speed according to circumstances and conditions. It must be emphasised that Silver is an extremely high grade and a commendable achievement.

The subtle difference between a gold and a silver;

I’d like you to take the next junction on the left. You will notice it is a ‘B’ road with a national speed limit .It lasts for about nine miles. I would like you to drive the road progressively and safely. I would like commentary.
You will have noticed I am holding a cup of tea and a saucer. By the time we reach the end of the road I want to have drunk the tea and not spilt any in the saucer, or worse, over me.  Any questions? No? Drive on.

Board footer