You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-11 19:24:17

ratty

Hello

Hello everyone.

I've just found this forum so I thought that I'd join and see what people have to say.

I work in the south as a fleet instructor mainly preparing and examining people for their advanced driving tests. I am an examiner for both RoSPA and the IAM.

If anyone has any questions about these tests please fire away.

06-02-11 19:24:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hello

#2 06-02-11 20:00:50

on board training

Hi,

First bold question - what is your stance on straighlining roundabouts and bends on tests and during training to make best progress as i understand some 'old school' trainers and examiners still encourage or look for it?

Cheers,
          Brian

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 06-02-11 20:39:49

greenyaris

. what is your stance on straighlining roundabouts and bends on tests and during training to make best progress?

While we await a reply, my own stance is that so long as it is done safely and does not have the potential to be misinterpreted or affect another road user, it is the perfectly logical thing to do. With regard to a learner under test I would have thought it acceptable to the examiner if the driver says, for instance, " I am going to straight line this roundabout because ......" and gives a rational and safe explanation as to why.
To drive safely is not just a matter of driving by the basic driving book. Look at the novice riders...they seem to have all been taught during CBT to ride in the gutter (hardly agood place; kerb to hit, debri to ride in) instead of a varying road position 2/3rds to the right in their lane. They are not taught to straight line a roundabout if it is safe to do so, when in fact this is the safer route especially as balance and riding technique are probably not up to par for going the long way round.
If it is safe to do and does not and will not impinge on another road user, then I say it is OK.

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 06-02-11 22:06:19

ratty

Hi,

First bold question - what is your stance on straighlining roundabouts and bends on tests and during training to make best progress as i understand some 'old school' trainers and examiners still encourage or look for it?

Cheers,
          Brian

The driving during a test must be safe, legal and smooth. The drive should be systematic and the vehicle should be positioned to advantage in a way that does not confuse or alarm other road users. As long as there criteria are filled then there is no problem. My view about teaching this is that I think lots of trainers do not fully understand how to do it and if that's the case, cannot train someone else to do it safely.

I think it is wrong to say that examiners encourage straight lining, the examiner is there to examine, not to encourage anything. I would agree that some instructors do encourage this practice and, as I have said, as long as it is done correctly there should be no problems. One of the things which I often see on tests is a candidate doing something to try and impress the examiner. Sometimes they thing they have to show the examiner they know how to do something even though a situation where the technique can be used to advantage does not arise. The candidate then does it anyway to show they know it but do it in the wrong situation. All they have shown is that they can not use the technique properly!

#5 07-02-11 03:22:44

Adi1234

on board training wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
          Brian

The driving during a test must be safe, legal and smooth. The drive should be systematic and the vehicle should be positioned to advantage in a way that does not confuse or alarm other road users. As long as there criteria are filled then there is no problem. My view about teaching this is that I think lots of trainers do not fully understand how to do it and if that's the case, cannot train someone else to do it safely.

To Pass the driving test there is no requirement for smooth driving at all. The L test is purely based around safety issues not around comfort too passengers in the car.

#6 07-02-11 08:08:02

greenyaris

ratty wrote:
on board training wrote:

The driving during a test must be safe, legal and smooth.. My view about teaching this is that I think lots of trainers do not fully understand how to do it and if that's the case, cannot train someone else to do it safely.

To Pass the driving test there is no requirement for smooth driving at all. The L test is purely based around safety issues not around comfort too passengers in the car.

Well,well,well. Words fail me! :cry:

Dave b
drive safe   ride safe
IAM Rider & Driver

#7 07-02-11 08:20:47

ratty

ratty wrote:
on board training wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
          Brian

I dare say you are correct, but as I have explained in my first post, I examine for the IAM and RoSPA, not the DSA. There is a requirement for the drive to be reasonably smooth during the tests I examine.

#8 07-02-11 09:14:34

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum ratty.

Giz smile

#9 07-02-11 10:58:08

ratty

ratty wrote:
on board training wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
          Brian

So does this mean that an L test candidate can turn up, be horrendous at braking, changing gear and steering etc as far as smoothness is concerned and still pass their test?

#10 07-02-11 12:25:45

ratty

Hi and welcome to the forum ratty.

Giz smile

Thank you.

Board footer