You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-11 23:20:40

pumpkin

Do I have to register as a PDI before I can sit Part 1?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some information, I've been told by the DSA that to sit the Part 1 exam I need to have held my licence for at least 3 yrs and also to of applied to go on the register as a PDI...I thought I could sit Part 1 at any time and that I only needed to apply as a PDI if I wanted my pink badge?....

03-02-11 23:20:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Do I have to register as a PDI before I can sit Part 1?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 04-02-11 09:10:32

aye
Website

hello pumpkin  big_smile the way i understand it is ....you must have held your licence for at least 4 years before entering the register as an ADI ... you can start your training at any time.. once part 1 has been passed you have 2 years to to complete 2 and 3 ....part 3 is valid for a year once passed  wink pretty sure thats the case but i stand to be corrected

#3 04-02-11 09:25:12

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Hi Pumpkin, you need to have held a full UK licence for at least 4 years to be eligible to go on the register as a PDI or ADI.  You cannot apply for a Pink Badge until you have passed Part 2 and completed some further training, but you do need to have applied to join the DSA PDI register, you will be given an ID at this point which upon completing your training will become your ADI number. 
Here's a link:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … /DG_182833 

Good luck with it all.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#4 04-02-11 09:27:16

pumpkin

Hello,

Thanks for replying...I thought that was the case but the woman at DSA was quite insistant that I need to apply to go on the register first, then if accepted I can take the Part 1 exam..possibly a new rule?..not sure anymore..

#5 04-02-11 09:32:15

KevB
Verified Member
Website

to apply for a ny of the qualifying tests you must first apply for, and receive a Personal Reference Number  (PRN).

The moment you obtain one, you become a Potential Driving Instructor (PDI).

If you fully qualify, your PRN becomes your ADI registration number.

A PDI is not just someone who has a pink Trainee Licence (Which enables the PDI to be able to charge, whilst gaining practical experience with real clients).

It is true that many in the industry refer to Trainee Licence holders as PDI's, but you become a PDI upon receiving a PRN, irrespective of what stage in the qualifying process you might be.

If you later get a pink badge, you are a PDI who also has a Trainee Instructor Licence.

A person will remain under consideration to be added to the register indefinitely (still have an active PRN) if they do not take and pass a part 1 test. If they take and pass a part 1 test, they then have to take and pass the final 2 tests within 2 years of passing part 1.

Techinically it is possible to apply for a PRN after having a driving licence for just over 1 year, although the DSA prefer you to have held a licence for more than 3 years before applying for a PRN.

The reason I say technically it is possible to apply after having a licence for just over 1 year is because......

You must have held a full licence for 4 of the last 6 years before being added to the full register.

After taking and passing part 1, you then have 2 years to pass part 3. The law also allows you an additional year after passing part 3 to apply to be added to the full register. That means you can still be added to the register upto 3 years after passing part 1, thus requiring a driving licence for just 1 year at the time of taking part 1...... PROVIDED you have no intention and do not attempt to teach anyone (wether paid or unpaid) until you have held a driving licence for 3 years and you are at least 21 (this is seperate legislation that covers  accompanying drivers).

KevB.

I hope that clarifies that anyone that first applies to be considered to be added to the Register of Driving Instructors becomes a PDI upon receiving as PRN (even before taking any of the tests).

#6 04-02-11 09:46:10

pumpkin

Hello KevB,

Thankyou for your reply, that information has helped a lot...there is a light a the end of the tunnel!!..lol

Board footer