You are not logged in.

#1 01-02-11 02:55:07

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I went through a red light today!

I collected some friends from the airport and was bringing them back to my house.  I was on a major road waiting to turn into a minor road, and the junction is traffic light controlled.    It was late and I was the first car, and I could see the lights for the minor road were on green so I did handbrake and neutral.  I noticed a car approaching from behind very quickly, and I commented to my friends the driver was going fast... then I thought $HIT, it's not going to stop.  I took the handbrake off.... looked again, checked the new road, took first gear, went through the red light into the new road and stopped.  The car screeched to a stop with smoking tyres, over the stop line.  if I hadn't of moved through the red light it would of been straight into the back of us.

My friends said if they had been driving they wouldn't have even thought to check mirrors while stopped at lights

comments?

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

01-02-11 02:55:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: I went through a red light today!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-02-11 07:24:14

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

You took the best option in my opinion, the other being to have have put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye  big_smile

I Hope there are no repercussions from going through the light neutral

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#3 01-02-11 10:12:35

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

It was late at night and there are no cameras on the lights so I think I'll be OK  big_smile

.phli. :angel:

PS if you know Sunderland, I was on Washington road (approaching the new TC) and going to turn left onto Hylton Lane.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 24-02-11 10:27:33

ratty

I collected some friends from the airport and was bringing them back to my house.  I was on a major road waiting to turn into a minor road, and the junction is traffic light controlled.    It was late and I was the first car, and I could see the lights for the minor road were on green so I did handbrake and neutral.  I noticed a car approaching from behind very quickly, and I commented to my friends the driver was going fast... then I thought $HIT, it's not going to stop.  I took the handbrake off.... looked again, checked the new road, took first gear, went through the red light into the new road and stopped.  The car screeched to a stop with smoking tyres, over the stop line.  if I hadn't of moved through the red light it would of been straight into the back of us.

My friends said if they had been driving they wouldn't have even thought to check mirrors while stopped at lights

comments?

.phil.
:angel:

Just out of curiosity, what comments are you expecting?

#5 24-02-11 20:41:26

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Made me wonder if a guy at the red light ahead of my learner, who moved through it just before my learner stopped behind would try to use this arguement if he had the 'bad luck' to be caught.

BTW not saying your making up excuses Phil.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#6 06-03-11 21:53:05

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

If you're gonna take the chance when there's a camera, make sure you go through at less than 12mph.
That way, you won't trigger it!

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

#7 07-03-11 09:08:44

ratty

I've never heard this before, where did this information come from?

#8 07-03-11 19:12:46

johnnyfr
Verified Member
Website

A friend of mine does all the police stuff - speed, driver awareness, traffic lights etc.

They spoke to the manufacturers of the TL cameras who gave them that snippet.

Also, lights are red for a full second before they go off.
So the next person who says they only just went through is a liar.
Especially when you add in the 3 secs of amber.

DSA ADI (car) -- DSA Fleet Driver Trainer [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk/grade6adi.php]Grade 6[/URL] -- ORDIT Registered Trainer
Level 4 PTLLS, Rospa Gold, NVQ Level 3 Driving Instruction, A1 Assessors Award, [URL=http://www.brake.org.uk]Brake[/URL] Road Safety Ambassador, DIA Taxi Trainer.
Visit us for [URL=http://www.prontopass.co.uk]Driving Lessons[/URL] or [URL=http://www.accufleet.co.uk]Fleet Driver Training[/URL]

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 07-03-11 20:59:33

hector
Verified Member
Website

A friend of mine does all the police stuff - speed, driver awareness, traffic lights etc.

They spoke to the manufacturers of the TL cameras who gave them that snippet.

Also, lights are red for a full second before they go off.
So the next person who says they only just went through is a liar.
Especially when you add in the 3 secs of amber.

Great news Jemima, makes my soon to be Ex's little indescretion and points/fine all the more comical as she went through at about 15 mph....

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#10 07-03-11 21:00:50

ratty

You learn something every day.

#11 11-03-11 23:42:04

the ferg

last red light i stopped at was in paris 1969 and that was'nt a traffic signal.

#12 15-03-11 15:27:17

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I had a temporary traffic light stuck on red last night. As it turned out, it must have been an intermittant fault, because we were in a long queue on approach. Stopped twice, for a few minutes. No view of T/L due to road being straight and flat and large vehicles ahead.

As we moved towards the now green light, it changed to amber so we stopped, head of the queue. We waited while all cars came through, still T/L remained red. Gap for several seconds, new queue off oncoming traffic approaches, on approach they begin to move out around the roads works. We wait, this traffic passes through [view ahead is 3-400m nothing coming]  we wait a few seconds more [been discussing with client the possibility of T/L failure] I count out loud to 20, still no oncoming traffic then instruct my client to give a R signal [i've been watching the guy behind throughout, there were signs he was preparing to move] then move through red light. Queue follows us through end of story.

What would you guys have done?

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer