You are not logged in.

#1 28-01-11 18:40:10

Abertawe Chris

Looking for some advice!!!!!!!!

Hi all my name is Chris and im from Swansea,im currently a Home Delivery Driver for DHL but am thinking long and hard about training as a driving instructor through the AA.The thought of being my own boss is very appealing but first would just like to know how you qualified instructors find working in this field.Thanks in advance for any advice.Chris

28-01-11 18:40:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Looking for some advice!!!!!!!!

#2 28-01-11 19:14:28

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Stay where you are, at least you are getting an income.

If you are determined, before you spend a penny on training, do lots of research on what competition is in your area, and what the average rates are, then do the sums to see if you would be able to continue paying the bills.

No one can guarantee you any work so don't be led astray.   The big schools are struggling to find work just as much as the little guys.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-01-11 19:36:31

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

I agree with Roadmaster before you commit yourself do the Market Research. What are the pros & cons how much do you need to earn to survive how many lessons does that mean you  need to give what is your compertion?

Have a look at thiss link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home they can help you prepare a business plan.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#4 28-01-11 20:53:23

Abertawe Chris

Thanks alot for the advice,I am gonna do alot of research before I commit to anything.Thanks again.

#5 29-01-11 00:30:04

mon
Verified Member
Website

I trained hard for my badge and paid alot of money last year Chris,thought I was going to be able to quit my Bakers job and get rich lol.Not so, now working 2 jobs, but still love Instructing...such a buzz.But in todays climate hold on to your job at all costs mate.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#6 29-01-11 07:18:51

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

If you want honest advice you are in a very useful position. I know the company you work for has advertised for  a 'health and safety' trainer.  It's good money, but as with most of these training positions the want hgv qualified adis. They're all looking for h&s qualifications and coaching/teaching qualifications.

First I would not give up your job, its a very lucky position. If you have not got all your licenses that's what to go for. If work can help you with this? If they can't save up and pay for it. I'd say FLT and HGV are handy ones, but PSV and motorcycles could be an idea.  This gives you so many more options.

If you've done this PTTLS or similar teaching qualification available from your further education college, and NEBOSH h&s qualifications would open a lot of doors!

At this point you could apply for so many decent jobs, but at this point you could consider going ADI training with and ORDIT trainer.

Car ADIs business is very saturated, sometimes with good ADIs who are struggling to earn anywhere near even what most would consider a basic wage.  Good luck, these qualifications would make you very employable!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#7 29-01-11 10:15:29

Abertawe Chris

Your advice is much appreciated.I have my HGV and PSV licences so instructing down that route is a definately possibility,so if i were to get my PTLLS qualification I could do this??.

#8 29-01-11 10:56:13

email@passwithjohn.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

With out a dought you need a web site this is the best way to get you known out there.........also i find YELL.com i get a lot of traffic to my web site from there....... of cause it all cost money...........you do need to get your self known out there good way of doing that is by thinking about a franchise for 2 or 3 years there is some cheap and nasty ones out there but it gives you a chance to build your own school on the back of the franchise.........as you keep your job going..........it's hard work to gain your ADI badge.........that just helps you to make money.......when you have passed thats when you have to start working on how you are going to teach your way that helps your pupils to pass there test who will then tell there family and friend about you.......which will help you to earn the money you need...........all this takes time........good luck

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!

Approved Driving Instructor
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/drivinglessonsstockport.html
www.passwithjohn.co.uk/blog

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 29-01-11 12:03:54

(ROG)
Verified Member

Your advice is much appreciated.I have my HGV and PSV licences so instructing down that route is a definately possibility,so if i were to get my PTLLS qualification I could do this??.

You do not need PTTLS or any other qualification to teach LGV
All you need is to have held the relevant licence for 3 years
That's the leagl bit done

Many LGV training schools insist that their instructors are on the VOLUNTARY DSA LGV register as it looks good to punters so that would mean passing parts 1, 2 and 3 to qualify but most LGV schools assist with this whilst you are teaching for them

The vacancies are very few and far these days for LGV instructors as the uptake for those taking lessons is low due the economic situation and the introduction of the initial and periodic driver CPC

For the average LGV trainee to go from car to CE is about £3,000 - not cheap

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#10 31-01-11 15:36:58

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Pettls not.necessary but often on wish list for employers, in fairness experience and hard work also count but don't bank on it.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

Board footer