You are not logged in.

#1 17-12-10 21:29:14

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Volvo C30 1.6 d - loss of power @ 3,000 rpm??

anybody use a Volvo C30? 

It's not my work car but a friends car I have at the moment while they are in China.  Was driving tonight on nsl single c/w basically going the long way round to get home so I could have some fun driving.  Parts of the road I was on you can do 60 no problem, others your down to about 30.  Anyways, I approached a bend, got the speed down on the approach, took 3rd gear (had been in 4th), the road opened up into a nice long straight, I put my foot down, turbo kicked in for about 2 seconds and then the engine lost all power.  It didn't cut out.  I went into 2nd but still nothing.  I turned the engine off then back on and it was all fine again.

It's never happened before, and while I can tell you all sorts about driving a car I have no interest in fixing a car so i don't know much about mechanics.... wondered if it was a 1 off due to cold (minus 4 where I was) and car not being driven for a week or if it's a common fault?

It's an 09 plate eco-felx or eco-fix model with a 1.6 diesel engine.  (I checked my last 2 fuel receipts and it was definitely diesel I put in).

Any ideas?

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

17-12-10 21:29:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Volvo C30 1.6 d - loss of power @ 3,000 rpm??

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-12-10 07:52:14

adi
Verified Member
Website

I had a similar problem last year. Switching off and back on did nothing. A quick call to a mechanic friend who suggested it was due to it being extremely cold. His suggestion was to switch off get out and lock the doors, then unlock and restart. Hey presto, everything had re-set and i was on my way!

#3 19-12-10 13:21:47

pedro
Verified Member

I have herd a few people complaining about the same sort of problem with their diesels. Heard them mentioning a diesel particulate filter and not driving the car regularly. Maybe something like that. Just a guess. Was there any warning lights showing?

#4 19-12-10 15:33:32

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

No warning lights before, during or after

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#5 27-01-11 08:08:44

rubberduck
Verified Member

Sounds like a maf issue, Mass Air Filter.

Its easy to test simply disconnect the plug and it should behave better and drive faster. It could also be the turbo pipes leading to and from the Turbo or air box. This would be a case of remmoving one pipe at a time and looking for the pin hole or cut in the pipe ( somtimes they are trapped under the engine cover).

I would suggest you have the car scanned ( on a car fault code reader) this should cost around £20 and will give you a very quick and focused place to look for the problem.

"it's better to burn out than to fade away,"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 27-01-11 08:09:37

rubberduck
Verified Member

I had a similar problem last year. Switching off and back on did nothing. A quick call to a mechanic friend who suggested it was due to it being extremely cold. His suggestion was to switch off get out and lock the doors, then unlock and restart. Hey presto, everything had re-set and i was on my way!

Your maf problems are on their way smile its starts very slowly and ends up with a new maf.

"it's better to burn out than to fade away,"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 27-01-11 14:23:04

adi
Verified Member
Website

adi wrote:

I sold the car a year ago so its someone elses MAF problem now! smile)

Your maf problems are on their way smile its starts very slowly and ends up with a new maf.

Board footer