You are not logged in.

#1 25-01-11 21:20:00

derrydave
Website

Confusion with Left & Right...Help/Advice needed

I Have this pupil who always has problems knowing her left and rights!! This creates alot of confusion understandingly with her and ive run out of ideas/solutions....any ideas folks?? :?

25-01-11 21:20:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Confusion with Left & Right...Help/Advice needed

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-01-11 21:50:41

HewittsDriving
Website

Have you tried asking her which hand she writes with, if its her right hand, when you want her to turn right remind her its writting hand down on wheel, or turning left would be writting hand up. If your pupil is in the early stages they will like many pupils, get their left and right mixed up.. I had a pupil that had the same problem, I asked them to name two celebs they really liked, then printed off a picture of each, one was put on my side of dash board, and the other on their side, then when I asked them to turn right i got them used to steering towards that celeb, after a while they got hang of it. Hope this might help

Driving lessons in Leeds, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley.
http://www.hewitts-schoolofmotoring.co.uk

#3 25-01-11 21:57:41

derrydave
Website

Thanks for quick reply HewittsDriving....I've already tried the "You write with your Right, and whats Left is your left" rhyme but to no luck. I always give her as well plenty of time to listen/digest the instruction too. MIght try that idea though you gave and ill post the results. Thanks for your help. big_smile

#4 26-01-11 09:14:00

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Put your hands out in front of you, palm down, with thumbs sticking out at 90 degrees (so your fingers are pointing forwards in front of you and your thumbs are pointing towards each other), with just index finger sticking out and the rest folded in.  If you look at the shapes made you will get an L and a back-to-front L. The shape made by your left hand is a definit L, so you know that's left.

I dont know my left from right, and I use this system all the time.

Do you not use "turn left, my side",  "turn right, your side"?   Or simply pointing in the direction required?

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 26-01-11 20:31:32

derrydave
Website

Put your hands out in front of you, palm down, with thumbs sticking out at 90 degrees (so your fingers are pointing forwards in front of you and your thumbs are pointing towards each other), with just index finger sticking out and the rest folded in.  If you look at the shapes made you will get an L and a back-to-front L. The shape made by your left hand is a definit L, so you know that's left.

I dont know my left from right, and I use this system all the time.

Do you not use "turn left, my side",  "turn right, your side"?   Or simply pointing in the direction required?

.phil.

big_smile big_smile As with most things in life...the simple and most obvious things are brilliant!!!! Cant wait to try these ideas out on Friday....Thanks for help.Ps.  Any tips for  the classic "My steering wheel looks straight....so it must be straight....DoHHH!! " moment after/during the Left reverse & P/park???

#6 26-01-11 20:40:26

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I have a s small sticker with L in the left corner of the centre mirror and R in the right corner. This helps them start the approach routine correctly.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#7 26-01-11 21:17:56

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Sophie,

Do you ever find pupils looking at the sticker rather than in the mirror?

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#8 27-01-11 17:11:56

dcbedford
Verified Member

I've done something similar to Hoylake, just used a dry wipe pen instead for a sticker so I can easily wipe it off for pupils that don't need it.

First time I turned up for test with the L & R on the mirror the examiner just asked after the test why it was there. Just explained pupil got lefts & rights mixed up when under pressure & this stopped them going the wrong way.

Dave Bedford

Part 1 - Second attempt - Passed 7/9/06 98/61
Part 2 - First attempt 1/12/06- Failed 8 minors
Part 2 - Second attempt 5/12/06 - Failed different 8 minors
Part 2 - Third attempt 11/1/07 - Passed 4 minors
Part 3 - First Attempt - 7/8/07 - PST 1 5/3
Part 3 - Second Attempt - 11/9/07 - PST 7 2/3
Part 3 - Third Attempt - 25/3/08 - PST 3 5/4 Passed at Last
First Check Test - 2/9/09 - Grade 4

#9 27-01-11 19:15:29

melanie01@talktalk.net

Hi all, i do find some pupils in the early stages aren't thinking which side is left or right just trying to control the car so i always backup verbal directions with 'in car' hand signals - works really well.

You only fail when you give up!

#10 27-01-11 21:45:37

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I use Phil's method, or say "your other left"  roll

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#11 10-02-11 21:06:46

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Just a thought i  had a partially deaf pupil once used coloured cards got a bit bizzare as he insisted we would use yellow for left as he pronounced it lello and orange for right. Any way the main point it worked for him and that is the main thing what works for them.
Like a lot of thing in life i had far more trouble then he did getting the directions correct usinng the cards but it was funny and we had a good laugh and survived.

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#12 10-02-11 22:25:07

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

HI Dave

I use a mixture of the above depending on the student

I have however found out a reason why this happens from an ex student who was a pychologist. (a physical / practical reason as to how the Brain works)

I can explain more if anyone is interested

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#13 11-02-11 07:29:30

Graham Hooper
Verified Member
Website

Please do

www.1st-4.org
www.tri-coachingpartnership.co.uk
Part 3 Rescue a speciality, Fleet/Learner check test, Coaching courses, Advanced driving SAFED, ADI-CPD or if just want some advice.

#14 11-02-11 14:17:17

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi All

Let me try to explain how my ex student explained to me why we find our students who are normally very clever seem to lose their ability to tell their left from right.

It's to do with the way the brain works. The concept of left & right has been found to be associated with a specific node of the brain found in the rear of our right hand cortex. If this node is damaged then our normal ability to tell left & right is destroyed along with our ability to recognise letter shapes & numbers.

Now the part of the brain that deals with the motor movements & imaging of what to do is found in the front left hand area of our brain. When we are under stress or in the fight & fright state of mind the body is flooded with adrenaline which causes fundamental changes in how the body works. One of those changes is that the brain ends up with less blood to work with so becomes less efficient working. At the best if times communicationfrom left & right sides of the brain can be difficult but in the stress state it seems to cease to exist.

I hope this makes sense to you & I hope my lexDysia has not made this explanation difficult to understand. For me it explains the problem & explains who pointing & the use of images helps our students.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#15 13-02-11 09:40:00

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I use in car hand signals as well has instruction. Seams to work well for both dyslexic and deaf pupils. Why not ask your pupil which they would prefer ? remember that what siuts one dosn't always siut another IMHO

kevin

#16 13-02-11 09:52:56

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

As above drywipe pen on windscreen works, with gestures left or right by me.

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#17 12-05-11 06:49:07

WillyO

Just in case someone has already stated this "Sorry". Is it general positioning when driving or reversing? Either way I would have a tendency to use the terms Towards or Away rather than Left or Right from certain references even reversing, it works. Willy.

A wise man does not need advice, But, only a fool won't take it.   Miam, DIAmond Advanced Test, DIAmond Special Test.

#18 23-05-11 17:15:19

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

Ask her to tell you within 10 seconds which is her right hand, then do the same for the left, you will find that in fact she has no problem at all with it.

Use the "my side/your side" along with the direction instruction, or point.

This problem usually lies with late instruction though.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#19 23-05-11 18:20:37

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

one of mine had written it on the back of her hands last lesson  yikes
Although, once done, she didn't seem to consult the hands therafter but just drove very well  smile

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#20 25-07-11 22:45:35

ACJ
Verified Member
Website

The way that seems to work best with me is to tell the pupil that they are sitting on the right and then occassionally ask them "who's right" and they have a chuckle then it seems to sink in!

#21 26-07-11 08:02:02

Barry500
Website

I know someone who just put a L AND R on the dashboard so the pupil can see it, I alway say your sitting in the RIGHT seat because YOU are in charge of the car!

#22 13-08-11 21:26:21

sjd680t

hi, if they wear rings on left hand, i tell them to go left, and they get used to turnin where there rings are. or althernatively, if they wear a watch or a bangle.  In fact, it has helped a few pupils, that after many years, they actually know there left from there right now.  So, try that. I have done in the past, written on there left hand, a massive L, that normally helps.... lol

Board footer